Air Shows

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

All the gov cuts made the Blue Angels and the ThunderBirds easy targets to go by the wayside, what a shame :(

IMHO - they where a display of our airpower and talented pilots at their best. Being fortunate enough to live within earshot of MAFB for my entire life- I have watched a lot of shows over the years. Sucks they are gone for all the wrong reasons.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgoQHrlu3Jc

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember watching the Blue Angles practicing over PVTI (PTEC) to get ready for the big show at MDAFB......been to the Fun-n-Sun several times...one heart stopper i will always remember is watching a Stealth Bomber come form nowhere to make a LOW pass down the runway at LL, then peel off to the North to head back to Eglin AFB....this was back when these were very "restricted" aircraft, so it was a real SPECIAL treat to see one of these marvels up close...even for just several seconds! A-10 Wart- hogs are also incredible show stoppers...the stuff these planes could do at such low altitudes were amazing! No wonder why they were called "Tank Busters"! We have alot to be proud of in this country.....to bad our Goverment doesnt feel the same way. I honestly dont know what we are doing anymore.

Thanks for the video Andy, The Thunderbirds were one of the most enjoyable things about working for the Air Force for 23 years :) . And Bill's right about the A-10's putting on a show- seemed like they could turn on a dime and give you change. The 30MM gatteling gun in the nose looked way to large for the plane. The guns are about 9 or 10 ft. long and a loaded 30MM round over 9" long.

You know who to blame. The govmt. has the country up to it's butt in debt. helping countries that don't want us there. Bring our troops home and take care of the USA..

I agree with you to a point Ken- but security has tightened at military bases also and inviting large crowds into the bases may be a issue these days. Another nice thing about the Sacramento air shows was the Confederate Air Force bringing some vintage WW!! bombers and offering rides for $$ that help fund their restoration and upkeep.

They still do that at the Sun and Fun event here in Lakeland Glenn. They used to have a B-25 and a B-17 that you could ride in, but this year I only noticed the B-17 flying around. Such a pretty sound B)

They still do that at the Sun and Fun event here in Lakeland Glenn. They used to have a B-25 and a B-17 that you could ride in, but this year I only noticed the B-17 flying around. Such a pretty sound B)
I like the sound of any big piston engine Andy :) be it a radial or V-12. Also seen at McClellan AFB( but not at a air show) a P-40 with the V-12 that was seized by the DEA- all black- no numbers :ph34r:

Andy my dad flew those B-17s Robert
Ahh the stories Im sure Robert- good stuff.

My father was good friends with a guy that was a tail gunner in a B-25 , lost both his legs and flew in the Dolittle raid.

Used to be a guy named Jaybo that was a large part of The Fantasy of Flight in Lakeland, that was out of Peter O Knight AP across from our house. From time to time he had visitors - a guy with a sweet P-51 and a guy with a Corsair - they would always buzz the field then hang out for a bit. The sound of the P-51 on the deck at speed was awesome. B)

Guys we no longer have the Confederate Air Force. Now it's the Commenrative Air Force. We must be politically correct you know. Same initials CAF. I like Confederate myself.

I'm sure you have seen this- pretty tough to watch. :(

RIP wing walker Jane Wicker and pilot Charlie Schwenker.

https://www.youtube....h?v=b142uWh7e-c
Its beyond bad....those were 2 people that were absolutely on top of their game in that profession....i really want to know what happened....i really think it was an aileron failure of some sort.
AGREED 110% - Something failed- NOT pilot error. They had done that stunt a bunch of times over the years, and the aircraft certainly makes a peculiar maneuver .

Check this video out. Its pretty cool- BUT if you jump ahead to 10:58 you will see the same maneuver - and how it SHOULD have looked. Clearly something failed that caused there deaths.

they were local to me, andy. a sad loss, for sure. they used to practice out of front royal, maybe 25 miles south. got to watch them practice a couple of times. she had an old stearman that she flew in opal, va. at a place called the flying circus. they put on small air shows a few times a month, during the "season". whatever happened, it was very sudden. she's waving until the last second, if something was wrong, she would have known or felt it in the plane. her husband to be was there watching.......

Its beyond bad....those were 2 people that were absolutely on top of their game in that profession....i really want to know what happened....i really think it was an aileron failure of some sort.
AGREED 110% - Something failed- NOT pilot error. They had done that stunt a bunch of times over the years, and the aircraft certainly makes a peculiar maneuver .
All of a sudden something weird happens, you see the plane snapping...did the pilot slipped the controls??????

Maybe she hit the aileron and therefore the sudden movement occurred. Hard to tell from the video.

Sad it happened

Maybe she hit the aileron and therefore the sudden movement occurred. Hard to tell from the video.

Sad it happened
Ronald....that is a REAL possibility.....never even thought of something like that...it is a fabric covered, wood airplane....might not take that much weight or torque(push) for a person to move the aileron. God, that would be a shame...

Back