After run oil

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alllllllllrighty then............Here's the deal. I'll be running the boat, at best, every other weekend, on it's own (no one to race with here). So I need to just drip a few drops of atf through the glow plug hole and turn it over a bit to circulate it after a weekend? Also, since it will stay at the cabin over the winter (minimum 55 degrees), do I need to take extra care to winterize?

When I go to run it again after awhile, how do I flush the atf out? just crank it with the starter and a rag over the hole?

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. I just noticed this fueling quick-connect...is that common?

View attachment 596

As for afterfuel run, ATF, Marvel Mystery oil it is a MUST! That is if you want your engine to perform and run consistantly and if you don't want to replace bearings and parts all the time. Here's what I do. I spray through a lot of WD-40 to displace the wayer. Than I use a bleand of automatic transmission fluid with Marvel Mystery oil. One or the other if just fine but I prefer my own home made remeady. Last, I spray Corrision X and flush it out. Consider it a day. Follow this and you will have an engine that love's you and will last a long time, that is if you don't lean it out and over rev it.

And yes just blow it out with your starter and a rag like you said. As for winter storage if it gets ice cold where you live I hear some guys take the motor out and soak it in a zip lock bag full of ATF over the winter. I have missed feelings on that so I don't do that. AAlso where I live in California the winters aren't that cold.

Have fun,

Rodney

I empty out all the fuel from tank and lines with fuel pump, or it may gel up on you, then spray wd-40 in the carb and crank it over. Then put about 5 drops of air tool oil in there and turn it over my hand about 2-3 rev and then reinstall glow plug.

Before i start them, I fill with fuel, and pull plug out, spin it over with the plug out and then the oil comes out and helps prime things with fuel.

pretty much it.

At the end of the day empty out your fuel tank, hook up your afterrun mixture to the carb inlet, pull out the glow plug and turn the engine over with the starter for 15 seconds. this will mist the afterun all through the engine, displace the trapped fuel in the bearings etc. Take the wd40 and shoot it through your water fittings to displace the water and remove any chance of calcium or whatever is in your pond water. Take the engine out of the boat, put a few drops of after run through the glow plug hole and turn the engine over seeing how smooth it feels etc. looking for any roughness to the bearings. Wrap the engine in a paper towel and put it away. Wash out your pipe to remove the trapped fuel, oil and afterun. Our afterun is a mixture of Transmission fluid, Mercury outboard fogging oil and wd40. We keep one old "fuel tank" filled with afterrun for carb hookup and one small squeeze bottle for squirting into the engine at the end. After run and a good maintenance program is cheap, engines bearings and parts are not... Tony J

Tony,

That's a cool idea. You fill an extra fuel tank w/ATF etc....and hook it up to the motor and spin it through?? Good idea.

Yes that was a good idea, I seen tony race once in ohio, He tunes his engine by the amount of fuel that gets on his hand from exhaust. ( or at least i think thats what he was doing)

He has a Ducer that just runs on rails.

I have never seen a boat set up so **** good, to go and turn and not slow down.

Course he had a MAC in a DUCER.

I was very impressed on his setups and driving skills.

Glad to see him on the board.

Back