Aero Marine Mean Machine Cat Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kelly here we race 16 cells on a 700 in a 26-29" monos.

They run very close or a little in excess of 40mph - motors come back warm after a set of 3700-3800 - they do it again and again - if u put fresh batteries in.

Best race time so far is 1m52s for 1500 meters - approx 1 mile ie av speed about 30mph. NAMBA race record for PMono is David Arndt's 60.41sec set July 05 that was set over half the distance using brushless.

When you do the math it falls into place the 4 cells are a 33% leg up for the 700 - rpm is up, efficeincy is up amp draw is up a little and those 33% extra cells make up alot of ground on the 18% or so efficiency they lag the best brushless by

If you want to try a X437/3 is popular an X442 should be faster

Hi SC,

To make it simple for you an Avenger cat, a 2280/11 and 32 cells x2 would get you 60 plus for over 4 minutes easy. ;) Now to handle that amount of power I would strongly suggest a Schultze 40/160 controller. I have run that combo on a Hacker Navy 77 with little problems but it's really pushing the limits of that controller. Your really looking at the high end of FE racing but it sure is fun to drill a nitro or gas boat with electric power. I never get tired of seeing the look on a fuel racer or the comments that follow after a good heat. :D

Paul.
Paul,

That is awesome. I know that there is not one copokie cutter solution out there and I appreciate the info. Have you worked with teh Aeromarine Cyclone or Hydro and Marine Drifter (34" version)? I like the quality of the Hydro & Marine hulls that I have purchased int he past.

I have been looking at a Schultze 40/160 ESC. Since I don't know which direction I want to go in, it seems a little easier to go with the max capability wrt the ESC.

The 64 cell set-up in the Avenger example that you provide above, are the 32 cells in parallel or series? Is thsi a standard Avenger set-up? Do you have any idea on what the Fine brothers used in thier Avenger and Team Beliver when they raced the notro bubbas? I am referring to their web site videos page.

Its kind of funny. When I stated out with this tread, I though I had a lock on what I wanted. Now I am feeling like time the tool man....Bigger Boat....More Power....ARH ARH ARH

ha ha . Thanks again. This is great.

v/r

SCBoatman

SCboatman,

come on down to Blue Lake, I-75 Exit 13 in Valdosta, March 3, 4, and 5 for the I.M.P.B.A. Fast Electric-II SAWS...

there will be a sampling of high cell count, high speed, fast electric boats running, cats, monos and sport hydro's, you'll have the opportunity to see first hand and talk to the folks that set them up...

Ron

Capt Ron,

I remember talk with you through Rum Runners Forums last year on this event. I would love to be able to atend. However, as with last year I am scheduled to be out of town. Hopefully, my employer will relax a little with the travel....I mean come on we have to have priorities and work can wait! ha ha

Seriously though, is this starting to be a yearly event that will occur approximately the same time each year? The only folks that I have around be that race all nitro. Last year I was averaging 24 MPH on my FE's. This year, I averaged about 40 MPH. I only get to attend about two club meetings a year. So It would be great to get some insight and nail the nitros to the wall.

v/r

SCBoatman

Kelly here we race 16 cells on a 700 in a 26-29" monos.

They run very close or a little in excess of 40mph - motors come back warm after a set of 3700-3800 - they do it again and again - if u put fresh batteries in.

Best race time so far is 1m52s for 1500 meters - approx 1 mile ie av speed about 30mph. NAMBA race record for PMono is David Arndt's 60.41sec set July 05 that was set over half the distance using brushless.

When you do the math it falls into place the 4 cells are a 33% leg up for the 700 - rpm is up, efficeincy is up amp draw is up a little and those 33% extra cells make up alot of ground on the 18% or so efficiency they lag the best brushless by

If you want to try a X437/3 is popular an X442 should be faster
ya and our LSH boats on 12 run a mile in just over 2 mins on a 1/10mile course.. So whats this got to do with anything.

your not running a 1/10 mile course so your no loading up in the turns as much as we do.

and you said close to 40 on 16.. These people are saying 50..

Here Paul

http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx...tid=AERMEANRTRE

SCboatman,

the I.M.P.B.A. "Speed Week" time trials the held last week of December and the "Fast Electric" time trials the first weekend of March are annual events held at Blue Lake and hosted by the Valdosta Model Boat Club...

it's a great venue for speed!

if mono's are acceptable, i'll hook ya up with an electric set-up for a 20 mono that will blow the nitro boys away :unsure:

sorry you can't make it to FE-II, i'm sure we'll hook-up eventually, keep on doing what you're doing [20-40] 60 mph is just around the corner... :cool:

Ron

SCboatman,

the I.M.P.B.A. "Speed Week" time trials the held last week of December and the "Fast Electric" time trials the first weekend of March are annual events held at Blue Lake and hosted by the Valdosta Model Boat Club...

it's a great venue for speed!

if mono's are acceptable, i'll hook ya up with an electric set-up for a 20 mono that will blow the nitro boys away :unsure:

sorry you can't make it to FE-II, i'm sure we'll hook-up eventually, keep on doing what you're doing [20-40] 60 mph is just around the corner... :cool:

Ron
Ron,

I am interested in the mono set-up. I have a Titan 29" that has a crappy motor set-up in it. I also have an electro vee w/ 700 motor in it. I'll probably put that up on ebay....too slow :p

Do you have any suggestions on a direct drive for the 29" Mean Machine for top end performance? I can run upto 24 cells. Thanks.

v/r

SCBoatman

Ron,

I am interested in the mono set-up. I have a Titan 29" that has a crappy motor set-up in it. I also have an electro vee w/ 700 motor in it. I'll probably put that up on ebay....too slow :p

send me your email addy... [email protected] and i'll send you some pics and suggestions for a mono set-up...

Do you have any suggestions on a direct drive for the 29" Mean Machine for top end performance? I can run upto 24 cells. Thanks.

v/r

SCBoatman
i haven't run that hull so i'll pass to folks who have...

Ron

Im sure there are a 1/2 dozen ways to go fast with that boat. One of them is

12xl direct drive with a hacker navy 77 and 16 to 18 cells.

what Page said.

there are a ton of setups that will work but, you will run into the same thing you would with the cat. Its not big enough to race the nitro/gas guys but, its the right size to race .21 nitro guys

Hi SCB,

Have you worked with teh Aeromarine Cyclone or Hydro and Marine Drifter (34" version)?
Not yet, I have the L Drifter but haven't built it yet. I do plan on trying 24 cells in it but only for offshore 4 minute racing. I would stay away from the Cyclone and go with the Avenger or Team Beliver for 32 cells.

The 64 cell set-up in the Avenger example that you provide above, are the 32 cells in parallel or series? Is thsi a standard Avenger set-up?
The 64 cells would be paralleled, that way you would get the run time your after. (4 minutes plus) The standard setup I run is a single set of 32 cells which is more than enough to finish a race.

Do you have any idea on what the Fine brothers used in thier Avenger and Team Beliver when they raced the notro bubbas?
If I'm not mistaken I think Danny ran a 2280/12 on lipos and Chris I'm not sure of in the Team Beliver. No clue on prop choice.

Paul.

I know this is abit off the topic..but anyone run a 1950/? in Q offshore/

I know Howie runs the 1940...would that be too much overkill?

Are you sure Howie doesn't run the 1950 for Q instead of the 1940?

Last edited by a moderator:
No,

I am not sure what he's running but hey....if anyone else wants to reveal what they have been running.

I run a Hacker 13XL direct in my cat. I believe the Hacker XL series is fairly comparable to the Lehner 1950 series.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the weight in grams of the 1950? The XL's are 340 g's.

I've seen a 14 XL do Q O/S direct drive, and I think with an X645. Maybe 445.

Back