Advance R/C Boat Modeling

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems I remember bishops wife offing him for cheating on her. any truth about this?
default_ohmy.png
:eek:
default_ohmy.png
:eek:
default_ph34r.png

Basic and Advanced books on my bookshelf for 20+ years. Still great reading every season to refresh the mind.

Would be nice if they were still produced to let newcomers learn. Books still live.

The engine book would be nice to have.

The magazine with John Finch sharing his knowlege is typical of him. He is one of the most knowlegable people that have ever participated in the hobby. Not only a guru with the monos (his early efforts) he became an expert with the hydros too. I remember many conversations with him about the technical aspects of model boating. If you ever get a chance to pick his brain, DON'T pass up the opportunity. Besides knowing a lot about our models, he is also a really good guy.

The magazine with John Finch sharing his knowlege is typical of him. He is one of the most knowlegable people that have ever participated in the hobby. Not only a guru with the monos (his early efforts) he became an expert with the hydros too. I remember many conversations with him about the technical aspects of model boating. If you ever get a chance to pick his brain, DON'T pass up the opportunity. Besides knowing a lot about our models, he is also a really good guy.
I've had the opportunity many times and would suggest you write it down or wear a wire.
default_biggrin.png
You may think you'll remember it all, not happening.
default_cool.png

Speaking of the Phantom I've been looking for info on them for years.... My grandfather had one back in the early 80's very fast boat. The original is sitting in my home town, just as it had run back in the day,but the owner,his old racing partner will not sell it, been trying for years. I do have a set of 45 plans that soon I will get lasered out and will build one day. I may have tracked down the originator

of the boat will see if its the right guy? Dustin

Speaking of the Phantom I've been looking for info on them for years.... My grandfather had one back in the early 80's very fast boat. The original is sitting in my home town, just as it had run back in the day,but the owner,his old racing partner will not sell it, been trying for years. I do have a set of 45 plans that soon I will get lasered out and will build one day. I may have tracked down the originator

of the boat will see if its the right guy? Dustin
I would like a kit lasered an set of prints

Andy Greene,

I have learned more in the last 20 years since the last publication than I ever knew when I wrote that book. I never stop learning. That is what keeps my interest. The most important thing I have learned, and I learned it from my pastor, is that when it comes to helping people they don't care how much you know until they first know how much you care about them as individuals and the issues they are dealing with. I started boating in 1967 and there was no where to learn about the hobby other than local modelers and lots of experimentation. I loved the hobby and wanted it to grow so I tried to spread the word through writing. I was not a writer but I had something to say and it worked to get the word out for our hobby. The 70 some articles I wrote covered races that folks used to wait three months to read but today the internet makes possible real time results and photos. Now people can talk real time and get answers to questions without having to wait three months to get an answer in a magazine. Still the books have value. I have 16 notebooks of notes that cover the last 20 years on experiments I have made and the results. I refer to them frequently because there is too much to remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,

Thanks for the kind words. You had a lot of tech articles on your web site that helped a lot of modelers as well. I learned from you and other modelers along the way. It is a collaboration of good people helping each other that make this hobby/sport so much of a good thing.

John

John I have always enjoyed your articles when they were in print. And your right on having to wait three months to see what you wrote or see what you put in them. I myself have been talked about in a few of your articles when it came to races. And one of my twins made the inside cover of one your how to books. I have the same pictures on my office wall that you took in Atlanta because I ask for the neg. Thanks for what you have done.

I have all of John Finchs books I give them to new members to read. John is the MAM when he comes to Piisbuegh for record trails, he always

Helps syncing the sensors. An helps to make

The event run smooth. He works tirelessly on his boats trying differant setups. John and his pitman Steve Speas were running Johns TLSG mono

It made an 87 MPH pass blow of and split in half.

Did he quit no his long time friends Steve Speas and Steve Sutton and John got the glue out spent the best part of the day repairing the hull. John later on went on to set a IMPBA record And he achieves

his goals by setting records. Always a Fun guy

To go out to dinner with. John said it would Õ¿Õ

16 notebooks i can believe, ya'll oughta see the lid of his pitbox! There's 2 notebooks worth right there. I always enjoy racing with john here in d-12, a good driver & always ready to help you learn.

I wonder if something like that could be put together more or less as is and made available. I don't know nearly about boating, getting good advice from good people when I can but making a lot of it up as I go. A resource like that would be great to have and all that information ought to be preserved somewhere.

Rick H.

Rick,

I have thought about writing an updated book that includes nitro, gas and fast electric. It would be a huge undertaking. Then I thought maybe some smaller books detailing certain aspects of the hobby would be nice. A series of tech notes like Marty did was another option. With a wife, 4 kids between us, and 10 grandkids, I keep pretty busy. I have had several grandkids living with us over the last 6 years now. I don't always have time to visit this site because i do so during slow periods or break time at work, but I do answer a lot of private mail when I do get on IW. If you have any problems with boat setup just sent me a private message.

John

Rick,

I have thought about writing an updated book that includes nitro, gas and fast electric. It would be a huge undertaking. Then I thought maybe some smaller books detailing certain aspects of the hobby would be nice. A series of tech notes like Marty did was another option. With a wife, 4 kids between us, and 10 grandkids, I keep pretty busy. I have had several grandkids living with us over the last 6 years now. I don't always have time to visit this site because i do so during slow periods or break time at work, but I do answer a lot of private mail when I do get on IW. If you have any problems with boat setup just sent me a private message.

John
Speaking of a big time commitment that you made John. I remember when you were making dyno test runs and would make them everyday after work at the same time in an effort keep the test results consistent. I think we were all on the internet by then and you would report your results daily.

Rick,

John
Speaking of a big time commitment that you made John. I remember when you were making dyno test runs and would make them everyday after work at the same time in an effort keep the test results consistent. I think we were all on the internet by then and you would report your results daily.
Andy, It was in RC Boat Modeler in my Nitro News Column. It was an 8 part series called "the performance series" I used ear plugs and jet earmuffs but my ears still ring at night. Every test leads to more questions and then more tests and then it snowballs uncontrollably. You know the drill. As you also know, the best dyno is the pond. Probably the biggest find for me with all that testing is how to get the tuned pipe to turn on 3 times using the notched exhaust port. That led to the 8.5 second lap oval records along with Kentleys boat design. It was your 40 size tub design with RR sponsons. I will never forget the day you and your brother came to the Chesapeake oval record trials and we kept taking the records away from each other during the weekend. It was you and John against Kentley and me. If I remember right, when the weekend was over, Kentley and I ended up with the E and F hydro records while you and John got the B and D records. That was a fun weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a new boater back in the early nineties and met and raced with John Finch and Steve Speas at the 1993 NAMBA Nats in Bristol, PA.

I raced TwinCraft boats in the A,B,C and X mono classes. They were my boats of choice then because Ralph Henry and Dave Sarken ran them on the west coast and were successful.

John Finch was "the man" as far as I was concerned. John was kind enough to autograph his book for me (which I still have) and not knowing who I was, educated me on the use of the air density gauge. He is a big part of why I am still in this hobby today.

Thanks

Al Waters

This book was my RC boating Bible as I went through it a lot before the Internet and afterwards also. Before the 'net all I had were the boating magazines and found out later how badly hacked the articles that were submitted were after the editors got their hands on them.

Back