AC boats sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian Stieglets runs a CMB 45 in his. It's not moded and comes up on plane fine. I also run the AC II hull with a MAC 45. I run a X447/ 2 or X646/ 2 on mine.

Both boats run great. As Terry said, brian and myself run in D4 with the likes of Dave Preusse, Ken Stang and Phil Thomas. We have some of the most competitive races in sport 40 around. Its all in how the hull is set up.
I'm in your guys dist D4.. will start to racethis year , maybe 3-4 races..I know sport40 is very competitive..any advice on the ac hull setup? I'm repairing one and if any mods needs to been done on this hull please telll me...

Brian Stieglets runs a CMB 45 in his. It's not moded and comes up on plane fine. I also run the AC II hull with a MAC 45. I run a X447/ 2 or X646/ 2 on mine.

Both boats run great. As Terry said, brian and myself run in D4 with the likes of Dave Preusse, Ken Stang and Phil Thomas. We have some of the most competitive races in sport 40 around. Its all in how the hull is set up.
I'm in your guys dist D4.. will start to racethis year , maybe 3-4 races..I know sport40 is very competitive..any advice on the ac hull setup? I'm repairing one and if any mods needs to been done on this hull please telll me...
Welcome to D4. On the AC hull, as DUCK899 said, use a larger turn fin to keep it on the water in the turn. Set the strut with 2-3 degrees neg angle. This keeps the nosse from coming up. But this you have to work with because each hull has there own likes. I run mine with slightly less neg, than Brian does to get the same performance. His is faster through the turns and mine has a little more speed in the straight. I still have driver issues with mine or it probibly would run better

Welcome to D4. On the AC hull, as DUCK899 said, use a larger turn fin to keep it on the water in the turn. Set the strut with 2-3 degrees neg angle. This keeps the nosse from coming up. But this you have to work with because each hull has there own likes. I run mine with slightly less neg, than Brian does to get the same performance. His is faster through the turns and mine has a little more speed in the straight. I still have driver issues with mine or it probibly would run better
thanks .well as it looks we will have 3 sport40 in our boat collection.. two dumas eagles and the A/C ...my boyfriend is run one of them... got to get two more .45's then as it looks.. picking up a rossi.45 for my eagle...

If you really are going to race, here's two pieces of advice:

1) Until you know what's really going on, stay back or way outside so the faster boats don't run over you. Nothing gets experienced racers upset faster than a rookie being where they shouldn't be and causing them to either hit the rookie's boat or crash their own trying to avoid it.

2) Find a VERY experienced racer to pit and call for you. DO EXACTLY WHAT THAT PERSON SAYS AND DON'T LET YOUR "I'LL PROVE YOU WRONG" ATTITUDE SHOW UP. If you get the rep of being argumentative or hard to work with, nobody will want to work with you.

If you choose to ignore my advice, so be it. It's your rep, not mine

I can see this topic came off my remark, AC boats are some of the finest hull's on the market, Barr-Nun, although weight may not be an issue, that hull is a little over built, although it may not be an issue One might say it's a over built hull, it's a great hull no doubt, but you cant say it's not heavy compared to other's?? I am not bashing this hull at all it's to each there own's opinion!! :huh:

And I thnk its the older version gold head hydro motor.

I can see this topic came off my remark, AC boats are some of the finest hull's on the market, Barr-Nun, although weight may not be an issue, that hull is a little over built, although it may not be an issue One might say it's a over built hull, it's a great hull no doubt, but you cant say it's not heavy compared to other's?? I am not bashing this hull at all it's to each there own's opinion!!
huh.gif
That may be....but one thing about Andy's boats and if you know Andy, he builds boats to last. Also, they are gelcoated and heavier in that regard, but you don't need to add a 1/2 lb of primer and filler to fill the glass screen door surface like you do on an epoxy hull. Andy's Pro 40 can be run as is with no paint at all. Just throw a few stickers on it and go.....

The original question was if anyone had ran an AC pro 40. There are lots of people who have. The first hulls were plagued with launching issues because of the original bottom design which was a Fisher bottom. That hull could handle more power because of the steps and lack of sponson running surface which also allowed the hull to settle in the corners quicker. This contributed to the hard launching because the small ride surfaces caused the nose to go under water. Once up on plane, things were fine. The remedy is to move the drive dog to the allowable legal limit ( 1 drive dog length behind the transom) and get the prop ears from under the hull.

The newer Pro 40 II hull was modified on the front sponson riding surfaces and filled in with larger surfaces to allow easier launching but with that the hull is more prone to riding lighter and thus blowing over relative to the older hull.

Andy's philosophy has always been to design a boat which will work for the novice to the experienced racer.

My last Pro 40 had a Mac 45 turning a pitched up X-646/3 with the pipe at 10-1/8" and ran well. It was the older original Pro 40 design and was 14 years old....built to last.

Pro 40 I

Pro 40 II

I have owned a couple AC hull's you cant find much better workmanship I just find that hull heavy to my pesonal need's to each there own, like I stated prior, no bashing at all, just my opinion, it's all Good!!

I have owned a couple AC hull's you cant find much better workmanship I just find that hull heavy to my pesonal need's to each there own, like I stated prior, no bashing at all, just my opinion, it's all Good!!
Thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. I would perfer a heavier hull over a lighter version of the same hull and I'm basing that on longevity of the model in a model racing enviroment. Boats are going to hit each other, it happens.

If you really are going to race, here's two pieces of advice:

1) Until you know what's really going on, stay back or way outside so the faster boats don't run over you. Nothing gets experienced racers upset faster than a rookie being where they shouldn't be and causing them to either hit the rookie's boat or crash their own trying to avoid it.

2) Find a VERY experienced racer to pit and call for you. DO EXACTLY WHAT THAT PERSON SAYS AND DON'T LET YOUR "I'LL PROVE YOU WRONG" ATTITUDE SHOW UP. If you get the rep of being argumentative or hard to work with, nobody will want to work with you.

If you choose to ignore my advice, so be it. It's your rep, not mine
While I agree with most of what your saying... As long as the "rookie" is holding their lane and not driving erratically, it is up to the more experienced racer to make a clean pass without hitting their boat. If you can't make a clean pass wait until the opportunity presents itself. Having raced motorcycles for years, the rookies have a tendancy to stay on the inside line because they feel more comfortable there. It is up to the faster drivers to make a clean/safe pass. Same applies with model boat racing. While the more experience racer may want the faster line, having to navigate slower drivers is part of racing.

Welcome to Dist 4 misshydro.

Very true, but in her case, she has never run a course with bouys. Running lane one could very well cause her to hit one and result in her boat being thrown in front of another boat running in lane 2 or 3. I've seen it happen more than once, hense the stay outside recommendation. The final call, however would be in recommendation 2, listening to her experienced caller/pitman. If that person feels she can run inside, so be it. It's a judgement call on the part of that person AT THAT TIME.

I can see this topic came off my remark, AC boats are some of the finest hull's on the market, Barr-Nun, although weight may not be an issue, that hull is a little over built, although it may not be an issue One might say it's a over built hull, it's a great hull no doubt, but you cant say it's not heavy compared to other's?? I am not bashing this hull at all it's to each there own's opinion!!
huh.gif
That may be....but one thing about Andy's boats and if you know Andy, he builds boats to last. Also, they are gelcoated and heavier in that regard, but you don't need to add a 1/2 lb of primer and filler to fill the glass screen door surface like you do on an epoxy hull. Andy's Pro 40 can be run as is with no paint at all. Just throw a few stickers on it and go.....

The original question was if anyone had ran an AC pro 40. There are lots of people who have. The first hulls were plagued with launching issues because of the original bottom design which was a Fisher bottom. That hull could handle more power because of the steps and lack of sponson running surface which also allowed the hull to settle in the corners quicker. This contributed to the hard launching because the small ride surfaces caused the nose to go under water. Once up on plane, things were fine. The remedy is to move the drive dog to the allowable legal limit ( 1 drive dog length behind the transom) and get the prop ears from under the hull.

The newer Pro 40 II hull was modified on the front sponson riding surfaces and filled in with larger surfaces to allow easier launching but with that the hull is more prone to riding lighter and thus blowing over relative to the older hull.

Andy's philosophy has always been to design a boat which will work for the novice to the experienced racer.

My last Pro 40 had a Mac 45 turning a pitched up X-646/3 with the pipe at 10-1/8" and ran well. It was the older original Pro 40 design and was 14 years old....built to last.

Pro 40 I

Pro 40 II
I got the A/C pro 2 hull...I need a cowl for it thow..We got most of it back together..I can post pics what it looked like after it was wrecked...Since most of you guys are sport40's,whats the adverage weight on them?.. Hj Driftwood club setup the race corse aweek or two before the races.. So we can do practice runs to get a good feel of the race corse..

Last edited by a moderator:
IF that's the case, you need to go thorough SEVERAL GALLONS OF FUEL UNDER SUPERVISION OF AT LEAST ONE QUALIFIED DRIVER learning to run the bouys. Do what he/they say(s) since right now you don't have a clue as to what you're doing, regardless of how much fuel you burned playing with your toy boats. You're entering a totally different world from running around a pond for fun. You also need to learn the rules of the race course, what is a penalty and what isn't. I can tell you right now that unless you've studied and memorized the rule book, you will be in serious trouble. Both of Washington's scale clubs REQUIRE THAT YOU PROVE YOU CAN HANDLE YOUR BOAT COMPETENTLY AND TAKE AN ORAL EXAM BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO RACE. I'd be willing to bet that you will have similar requirements to meet as well

..Found out from a friend that were D 2 dam... Somebody told me I was in D 4..I live in the Celina St'Marys area.=northwest central part of Ohio...I dont know if he's wright or not.. How can I find out for sure?

If your in Ohio, your in D2. Go to the IMPBA web site and click on "districts and clubs" to see the map.

Can someone post some pictures of the insides of their boats. Like fuel tank placement and radio box set ups.

Can someone post some pictures of the insides of their boats. Like fuel tank placement and radio box set ups.
here is mine.. the pic is when the guy just recked it..its almost fixed...from the pics the fuel tank is at the very front were the rubber band is at..that must of held the tank in place...hull the back part almost mid ship is the radio box with lid on it ..behind that is the adjustable strut area..proubley the other guys with everything in there a/c will post pics of theres insides setup..

huh.gif

Pro 40 I

Pro 40 II
I got the A/C pro 2 hull...I need a cowl for it thow..We got most of it back together..I can post pics what it looked like after it was wrecked...Since most of you guys are sport40's,whats the adverage weight on them?.. Hj Driftwood club setup the race corse aweek or two before the races.. So we can do practice runs to get a good feel of the race corse..
Robert Pickard M@M Racing on here had an AC cowl for sale awhile back, give him a try

huh.gif

Pro 40 I

Pro 40 II
Robert Pickard M@M Racing on here had an AC cowl for sale awhile back, give him a try
ya i know. about it... each time i have the money .. somthing like bills keep poping up on me..plus i'm trying to get two motors for my boats.. one for my .21 rigger and the other is a.45 for my eagle..im going to talk to him about the cowl..

Back