AC boats sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your looking for a fiberglass hull, the PTSS45 is what you want!!, the AC is a heavy hull, still a good boat, but you cant beat Phil's Hull's

I just picked up one. It was one those to good to pass deals.
Those hulls are alittle on the heavy side.. My dumas sport40 wooden eagle hull is lighter then at AC hull.. I have a AC hull that I'm repairing..

Those hulls are alittle on the heavy side.. My dumas sport40 wooden eagle hull is lighter then at AC hull.. I have a AC hull that I'm repairing..
Heavy????

Thats the first time ever that I have heard that issue.....

Nothing wrong with an AC hull.

Its all in the operator/driver.

Heavy????....No way!!!! Ya gotta feel how heavy my Mutt II is.... but I added the weight in the front to keep it on the water....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much racin around here, It came with a k&b in it.
Make sure the sponson bottoms are nice and flat (for more speed) and run either an X-646/3 or an X-447/3.

Pipe at 10 3/4" to start and go race and have fun.

Yes, looks like the person I got it from redid the bottoms of the sponsons.
So that's one less thing for you to take care of. Slap on some paint, drop in a hot racing motor and ask some boating friends to join you at the lake, if you have soft water like I do ;)

Heavy? My scale Muck glass hull weighs in at 15+ pounds and that's without a fuel system or any radio gear. Like Duck's Mutt II, it's had weight added to the front of the sponsons to hold it on the water before I got it.

Heavy????

Heavy????....No way!!!! Ya gotta feel how heavy my Mutt II is.... but I added the weight in the front to keep it on the water....
boy where have you been at? I'd been hearing guys talking about them on the heavy side..hell I got a recked one for free..its alittle on the heavy side too..no wonder there alittle on the heavy side they used thick fiber glass mats for there hull layups.... the other uses fiberglass cloths for hull layups..plus guys been complaning about them harder to get them up on plane too.

So that's one less thing for you to take care of. Slap on some paint, drop in a hot racing motor and ask some boating friends to join you at the lake, if you have soft water like I do
wink.gif

Heavy? My scale Muck glass hull weighs in at 15+ pounds and that's without a fuel system or any radio gear. Like Duck's Mutt II, it's had weight added to the front of the sponsons to hold it on the water before I got it.
It's not the lightest boat that wins the race. It's the one that finishes first.

Glenn

I had the oler style AC i dont know what anyone is talking about heavy it wasnt the newer AC boat you will have to mod the bottom for it to stay on the water he changed the design of it, i liked the older style he also hasnt made this boat in 4 years i went with a Phil Thomas boat, Phil he isnt selling AC boats in Florida any more. Miss Hydro if they cant get the AC on plaion right away it is there set up mine got up and running right away.

So that's one less thing for you to take care of. Slap on some paint, drop in a hot racing motor and ask some boating friends to join you at the lake, if you have soft water like I do
wink.gif

It's not the lightest boat that wins the race. It's the one that finishes first.

Glenn
you ment it not the fastest boats that wins..concistant finishes that wins..

it was a AC sport 40 that won US1 in 09,( Brian Stieglitz) and he has been kicking butt with it here in Dist. 4 for a few years.

Heavy????

boy where have you been at? I'd been hearing guys talking about them on the heavy side..hell I got a recked one for free..its alittle on the heavy side too..no wonder there alittle on the heavy side they used thick fiber glass mats for there hull layups.... the other uses fiberglass cloths for hull layups..plus guys been complaning about them harder to get them up on plane too.
Where have I been at????? LOL

I was with Andy at the 1990 Olympia nats when he bought the Fisher sport 40 from Evergreen. Turned it into the AC sport 40 1 boat that I raced for 10 years. Andy turned the one boat into the current 2nd version because he figured he could get it to plane better. Turns out it was all in the strut placement with the version one hull. The version 1 hull is ultimately faster because it will handle more power than the current version which will blow off easier. I ran both hulls untill about 4 years ago when I was finally able to get my mitts on a mutt. I was tired of trying to chase down mutts with the AC.

As for weight, its a non-issue. Weight is more prevalent in the corners, just install a bigger turn fin.... Andy has some of the best glass work in the business.

So, thats where I've been at....not just hearing what others have said like you....
blink.gif
been there, done that....
tongue.gif

it was a AC sport 40 that won US1 in 09,( Brian Stieglitz) and he has been kicking butt with it here in Dist. 4 for a few years.
what motor he running in it..I bet it's really mod to hall that hull thow..No when I got this ac hull ,i'd been getting ear fulls about ac hulls being on the alittle on the heavy side and harder to get them to start on plane..The old owner was complaining about that too.. I not ripping on the glass work eighter..its thicker then other hulls..I'd kind of liked about it..

Brian Stieglets runs a CMB 45 in his. It's not moded and comes up on plane fine. I also run the AC II hull with a MAC 45. I run a X447/ 2 or X646/ 2 on mine.

Both boats run great. As Terry said, brian and myself run in D4 with the likes of Dave Preusse, Ken Stang and Phil Thomas. We have some of the most competitive races in sport 40 around. Its all in how the hull is set up.

Latest posts

Back