AA45 Piston/liner in a MAC 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Hi guys,

will a stock AA45 piston liner fit straight into a MAC 45 without modification, I realise the rods are different, so could we still run the steel rod on the AA45 piston

thanks in advance

Shane

They fit straight in a Mac 45 and you can run the steel rod with them.

I Have some for sale by the way.

Steve

thanks Steve, will it fit any blue headed MAC, as I have both blue headed models, 1st blue head and last blue head, If so , I will take one of the piston/liner sets from you, I'm in Australia buy the way,

Shane

There is a difference in the crankshafts. There is an A/A crankshaft to use the aluminum rod that comes in the A/A engine. There is a different A/A 45 crankshaft to fit the MAC steel rod and needles. You can use the crankshaft you have in the MAC 45 with your rod when you install an A/A piston/sleeve.

The wrist pin on the MAC 45 has a slightly larger diameter, no difference in length. The alignment pin in the MAC 45 is slightly larger than the alignment pin in the A/A 45. So, you have to open up the slot in the A/A sleeve to fit over the MAC alignment pin.

It is not difficult to use an A/A 45 piston/sleeve to keep your MAC 45 running. Several boaters have used an A/A 45 piston/sleeve to save their MAC 45 engines.

Al Hobbs

I've been running the AA sleeves in my MAC45 and they work really well, certainly a cheap way to keep the engines running.

So if the wrist pin dia is larger on the mac 45 how do you fit the AA piston. I need a couple mac 45 rebuilt.
The piston bosses need to be opened up about .001". 600 grit rolled around a drill rod, WD-40 and a little time will accomplish the job.

Andy has helped a lot of boaters keep their MAC 45 engines running using the A/A 45 piston and sleeve.

Al Hobbs

What about the different versions of the blue headed mac 45, were the liners the same or different, i.e. will the AA liner fit both versions

Not to confuse the subject but here is some more information.

Through this link above .

Last edited by a moderator:
Shane I'm also working on a nova 46DD piston and liner fits the Mac block also . I have a mac rod on the rossi piston and I'm waiting on bearings for the block to assemble it . Our ice just went out and I'm just fighting off a super bad cold this Sunday is our first test and tune weekend. I'll post some pics of the rossi parts in the next few days. Pass ya later Charlie

Back