A Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree with putting bigger motors in with the .12 class but there are some .15 and .18 that would just stomp on a .12. Then what do you do start running .28 with the .21 class. Where do you draw the line? Maybe a ready to run class is needed,but that should be up to the clubs and the interest they have in there area. Clubs are always going to make the final call anyway as how to best run their event. and what classes they have. There is only so much daylight.

I am not against running .12 and .15's togather if the competition is fair(.18's ? :huh: ). I am much more in favor of a .12 and lower class only because that is what the class was set up for and hasnt even got started before we start talking about changing it. Unfortunately manufacturers dont always look at all the angles. They just probably thought that company "X" has a .12 motor ,lets put a .15 in ours and it will be better and so on goes the battle (Intel vs. AMD for example). You can be **** sure they were not thinking I wonder how this will affect the racing classes in the IMPBA. :unsure:

If you want to make it a run what you brung can I run my sport 40 I am sure I can get it to run 50-55 to stay with the class.

I would like to see atleast a heat or 2 at some events to spark a little interest in .12 boats. Hell right now I

would like to see a couple heats of anything with boats in it...lol.

Mark

I would agree with putting bigger motors in with the .12 class but there are some .15 and .18 that would just stomp on a .12. Then what do you do start running .28 with the .21 class. Where do you draw the line? Maybe a ready to run class is needed,but that should be up to the clubs and the interest they have in there area. Clubs are always going to make the final call anyway as how to best run their event. and what classes they have. There is only so much daylight.

I am not against running .12 and .15's togather if the competition is fair(.18's ? :huh: ). I am much more in favor of a .12 and lower class only because that is what the class was set up for and hasnt even got started before we start talking about changing it. Unfortunately manufacturers dont always look at all the angles. They just probably thought that company "X" has a .12 motor ,lets put a .15 in ours and it will be better and so on goes the battle (Intel vs. AMD for example). You can be **** sure they were not thinking I wonder how this will affect the racing classes in the IMPBA. :unsure:

If you want to make it a run what you brung can I run my sport 40 I am sure I can get it to run 50-55 to stay with the class.

I would like to see atleast a heat or 2 at some events to spark a little interest in .12 boats. Hell right now I

Mark
I thinkyou missed the/my point. The A hydro .12 class is just that, .12 The B hydro is .21... if guys want to put bigger motors in thats fine, they just have to run in the class that it fits. anything bigger than .12 and less than .21 runs in B. As for" run what you brung" that meant in relation to what engine class it fits in, not in the A hydro class. I personally have at least 1 boat for every class there is, I just have chosen to concentrate on 3 for now, but if I have time I will dust off my dumas 10 boat and see what it will do with a .12 in it. Thats what boating is all about, run what you brung and have a good time. But if the .12s run, it will be against .12s. hope this clears this up. Maybe we need to start having pop quizes for the new guys on the rule book. It has some good info in it, like engine sizes for each class. The whole point of this and other sites is to spread the knowledge out and improve the sport. Geez this has been a long winter.

Mark
I thinkyou missed the/my point. The A hydro .12 class is just that, .12 The B hydro is .21... if guys want to put bigger motors in thats fine, they just have to run in the class that it fits. anything bigger than .12 and less than .21 runs in B. As for" run what you brung" that meant in relation to what engine class it fits in, not in the A hydro class. I personally have at least 1 boat for every class there is, I just have chosen to concentrate on 3 for now, but if I have time I will dust off my dumas 10 boat and see what it will do with a .12 in it. Thats what boating is all about, run what you brung and have a good time. But if the .12s run, it will be against .12s. hope this clears this up. Maybe we need to start having pop quizes for the new guys on the rule book. It has some good info in it, like engine sizes for each class. The whole point of this and other sites is to spread the knowledge out and improve the sport. Geez this has been a long winter.
OK, now I can get back to work on my design for a 12 rigger. Hint, It won't be a stick boat. It will be a Boss 12.

I'm confident we can get 3 boats for a race. 6 would be really cool.

Surely all you hydro experts can build a 12 that will beat my design!!!! (NOT)

I think Bruce is right when you look at it that way. "A" hydro is .12 and under. The bummer is that the RTR boats would just get killed in "B" hydro. Then again,... lots of times the last boat running wins and the RTR boats tend to stay on the wate rfrom what I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

Bruce I didnt miss the point at all. I have had my .12 rigger for 2 yrs waiting for a class to run in. I have showed it at few events and take it to every race I go to. Most of what was written above was rhetoricle to the other posts that were out there about RTR and bigger engines and to say why things are the way they are in RTR (informational ) . I know exactly what the rules say. I also understand that if you are going to a race you have to have people with boats to show up. If you had 6 guys with .12 engines show up at every event looking for a couple heats to run in I am sure it mite happen. So far it aint happening that i know of.

I also know I have seen .67 and .80 boats run in the same heat to make a class lots of times and there is a lot bigger displacement difference than a .12 and .15. I also remember things like at the end of the season when the days get shorter heats get cut out events because there is not enough daylight. So far you have spewed alot of venom but not brought a whole lot to the table as resolution to the problem. So that being said I would be willing to run .12 and .15s togather as long as the competition was fair if that is what it took to make a class atleast until there were enough .12 boats showing up. Not that I would like it but right now my boat sits on the shelf until record trials when I can actually run it an IMPBA event in its own class.

Better yet maybe someone can come up with a way to keep the sun up for 2 more hours so we can get all the heats in.

I am still not sure why more people arent jumping at this class. I bought my .12 engine (RB .12) for $75 brand new. There is not any other class anywhere near that in dollar for dollar fun v performance as the .12 class.

You guys that want to run your .12 boats make sure you take then to events/ show'em off. Get them in the water if possible. Anybody that askes tell them you have to run a .12 engine so they buy the right size engine. You dont need to spend $200 - 300 on a motor for this class to go 50 mph. Now there is some information.

Mark

You guys all make good points. The point about how much fun the .12's are for the money is the best point there I think. I wish the new RTR boats were 12's. In all reality the new RTR's with .18's in them are sport hydros and most likely will not be as fast as a good .12 rigger, so the competition would be pretty good. Now a rigger with the TZ18 would probably not be fair and should run in the B hydro class...

You guys definitley know more about the rules than I do.

I think it will all work out soon.

The way that I'm looking at it is that there will be some serious bragging rights for whoever wins at the Hydro Masters. Anybody that is making .12 'riggers ought to show up or be represented there. If Tony shows up which sounds like what is going to happen, he'll probably have a truckload of kits along with him.

I don't know about the truck load of kits.... If I lose they will be fire wood!!! I'm definitley going to be there.... Heck,.. it's 5 min from my house!!!!

I have to talk it up now,... I may not haev much to say after the race.... Don won't tell me what's in his new package..... I'm getting worried!!!

The way that I'm looking at it is that there will be some serious bragging rights for whoever wins at the Hydro Masters. Anybody that is making .12 'riggers ought to show up or be represented there. If Tony shows up which sounds like what is going to happen, he'll probably have a truckload of kits along with him.

When Don brought his up here for the Fun Run, we all thought that he was nuts for going out and running along with a Gas Cat. He did a great job and showed that he could run side-by-side with larger boats and in the rougher water. That's going to be what it's going to take as you don't know what type of water that you're going to run into.

The thing is right now you don't know who is going to be there as there are some sitting back and snickering watching everyone else doing all of the smack talking. If Mark Stein, Glen Quarles or Gary Preusse make the ride there, you guys might be in trouble! I think that Gary wants to shove his boat in Dumas's face as they didn't feel that there was a demand for a .12 'rigger when he offered it to them for production. You guys might just be the talk of the Hydro Masters!

Yeah, i'm guilty of stiring the pot. Just trying to raise interest in .12 class.. Some how I forgot about Gary and company. I think I heard his 12 ran like 70 or something... Can't even come close to that...

When Don brought his up here for the Fun Run, we all thought that he was nuts for going out and running along with a Gas Cat. He did a great job and showed that he could run side-by-side with larger boats and in the rougher water. That's going to be what it's going to take as you don't know what type of water that you're going to run into.

The thing is right now you don't know who is going to be there as there are some sitting back and snickering watching everyone else doing all of the smack talking. If Mark Stein, Glen Quarles or Gary Preusse make the ride there, you guys might be in trouble! I think that Gary wants to shove his boat in Dumas's face as they didn't feel that there was a demand for a .12 'rigger when he offered it to them for production. You guys might just be the talk of the Hydro Masters!

Hey, we have to have some fun in here! :p When I saw Gary's boat run, I felt that it was riding too tail heavy but what do I know. Basically, his design is just a downsized Hawk.

You guys are giving me inspiration to get my tail off the couch or computer chair, get downstairs and pull one of the HH .12's off the shelf or order one of your kits for therapeutical purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hydro Masters is a classic event so I really can't see them letting in just anything. People need to push the district races if they want to see the RTR boats racing. With boats like the Miss Elam coming out giving the Miss Bud/LLumar a run for the money, maybe a club that has some extra time on a race day would like to give it a shot. Time alone is going to be a more of a factor at one-day races with us wanting an "A" class, a RTR or what Bill Zuber and John Equi want to modify, the ABS class plus all of the Gas classes that want to expand.

Still, the question remains, are there enough people willing to show up to make it worth their while?
The hydro masters was once just for hydros, the best of the best shootout type event, but as with other things the interest got low. It appears to be coming back. If this continues we can again seperate back into 1 race for hydros and 1 for tunnels. but for now we/I will entertain running what we need to based on entries. If we get 3 entries in .12 hydro we will run the class for trophies. We need 6 for a green jacket class. We will run the ready to run boats in the b hydro class. It took alot to increase the .10 size to .12, so lets leave it there. There is only so much time to run a race and we have tooooo many classes now. So if you want to put a .15 or bigger in, sorry, it runs in .21 class. same for the .30, that fits in C hydro class, but where do we stop. Must be why Namba runs a,b,c,and x. build what you want and run it where it fits. But in the meantime, just build something and join a club and lets race what you brung what ever class it fits in. just my take on it.
I'm sure if I had a .12 hydro to run, I'd like to be the first to win at Indy, this could be an awesome

opportunity for someone to show what .12s can do. As Bruce said, 6 entries gets someone a"GREEN

JACKET" Guys with .12s, make it happen!

According to the Roostertail, it's being held on September 9th and 10th, plenty of time to build and test one.

I have to apologize to Bruce for getting a bit snippy. After going back and reading a bit I realized he started this post looking for entries for the Masters. My intention was not to change his mind on the .12 hydro class. Seems the string got turned into a discusion and I got caught up in it. I just wanted to bring up a few problems we have when people want to run boats that really dont "fit" in a racing class but they have spent their money.

So, Who is going to show up for the Hydro Masters?

Mark

One thing that I brought up to Anthony this afternoon was one thing to mull over is the tuned pipe/muffler question. Most of us running .12's are only using the Mac unmuffled pipe as we seem to be happy with it both performance-wise and it isn't very loud either. I guess that a visit through the rulebook wil be in order for me. I tossed and idea to him about a super-lightweight one.

Mark, as for the "Tweener" boats, that's something that the sanctioning bodies may or may not want to deal with. It doesn't seem to be the problem of the IMPBA, NAMBA or any other body if the manufacturers don't want to build boats that aren't class legal. This should be a whole thread unto itself but not here to keep this one on track. Sorry, I was just as if not more guilty of doing that earlier in this thread.

Ron,

Way ahead of you on the super-light pipe. Dave Hatcliffe is going to be shipping over more

of his 12 pipes for us to check out. Now I better get back to the drafting board if I am ever going

to get the Stealth 12 Hydro finished. :D

Great Little Topic Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Stealth Hydros

Props-4-U

Latest posts

Back