A Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is enough interest we will add A-Hydro to the class list at the Masters. Any thoughts.
Hey Bruce how many #64 rubber bands make a legal A-hydro...... (im kidding know someone will get there dander yp on that one)...Mike

It takes a whole box!!! That was funny,... How many gallons of nitro does it take your boat to run 6 laps?

I hope there is some interest.. We'll at least be running some during open water time. I think you'll be surprised by the performance of these little boats..

I'm going to get some video next time out... I think you'll like it..

maybe we could make this an like an under .21 hydro race. That way the new RTR hydros could run and the built up kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I don't know. It might let people in on our little secret as to how much fun that we're having burning only 4 oz. of fuel a heat!

Seriously, any kick that the .12's or any boats under .21's can get can be nothing but a good thing. A big event like the Hydro Masters would really bring out the interest. If that works out then maybe down the road toss around the idea of something like an A+ class, over .12 but under .21's where the .15's, .16's and .18's would be welcome.

The more I think about it the more I feel an under .21 hydro class would be the best thing. I think we could get some local guys with the new RTR hydros out there. Other clubs have had races with just those boats.

I hope we can make this happen.

I'm sure there won't be too many boats but maybe we could run a heat or two.

The more I think about it the more I feel an under .21 hydro class would be the best thing. I think we could get some local guys with the new RTR hydros out there. Other clubs have had races with just those boats.

If you a going to start changing the rules, a slightly undersized Nova Rossi (a 20) would be easy to build, be legal and very hard for the 12, 15, and 18 boats to keep up with. Just a thought.

If you a going to start changing the rules, a slightly undersized Nova Rossi (a 20) would be easy to build, be legal and very hard for the 12, 15, and 18 boats to keep up with. Just a thought.
I have a suggestion. Instead of changing the class to match the boat. Let's stick with the current rules so everyone is playing on the same level. I would like to build a 12 rigger but if the rules are going to be changed before I get it built, then I am going to hold off on this project until the dust settles. I love riggers and I would like to see more participation in these classes. I believe that if we keep standard rules so we can get more designers, builders and manufacturers involved and lean toward making this a reasonable costing beginners class that it will grow into one of, if not the largest hydro class. It would certainly be a very fun class. Let's face it, everyone isn't able to start out in some of the larger hydro classes whether the reason would be financial or the lack of knowledge. Just my opinion.

The .12 riggers are finally getting some interest. The best part is the low cost. With a little searching you can be running a .12 rigger for around $500 or less complete. Look at the difference for the cost of one NR .21 motor alone, then add a boat at $300-400 then hardware, radio, maintenance . The .12 kits that are out look pretty good and .12 motors are everywhere. There real drawback is the lack of available flywheels and carbs (also cooling heads). Most of which will need to be modified to work.

At this point I dont think it is neccesary to bump up the displacement in "A" class. As it limits the amount of available motors you can run and be competitive. Which also drives up the price. There should be some seperation in engine size (.21 - .45 - .67 - .80). Nice thing is that is so economical to run - dont think I have burned a gallon of fuel in mine yet. There are a good 10 engines to choose from- anything from a Dynamite to the upcoming AB).

This will be year 3 for my .12 rigger - RB .12 side exhaust - stock - running 52 mph. I am working on a few changes this year I am sure it will hit 60 without much problem. Boat shows lots of potential so far.

I have talked to very few people who are willing to throw down $800 - $1000 on A boat when they can spend $350 and go fly a plane. Around me there are atleast 3 plane clubs in 20 - 30 miles with atleast 30 members each. Very few run boats near me, or maybe I just live under a rock. Hopefully something in this sport can remain somewhat inexpensive. When You have to spend $300- 400 on a .12 motor to be competitive you might as well buy a NR .21 and make 3 times the horsepower and then you might as well kiss the class goodbye.

We all know it dont stop at a $350 plane, as it would'nt at a $400-500 rigger but you gotta hook 'em before you can pull 'em in.

Just my$1.25

Mark

I agree Mark. We also have to consider the quality of the new .12 car engines. They are actually very good for the money. The flywheels and stuff come from tower, collets from octuraand hardware from FE boat. Getting a rotary carb for some can be tough. That's why I'm reccomending the OS for my customers... Plus it runs real well...

You just can't beat $450 for 55-60mph boat!!!...

Yeah, you can crash the boat and loose at lot,.. but man,... 1 second of meesing up flying a plane and it'a a TOTAL loss!!! I'm not cut out to take that kind of hit...

Fellas,

Once we get the right propeller on them they will run close to a good 21 Hydro. :D

Anthony,

So what do you want to try next? (1640,X-640)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I would like to try maybe the 1640 or another 1440 with the pitched like the last one but maybe cut down to about 38mm. What do you think? I think that might let the engine spin up a bit more.

Eric Perez has won races in the 20 hydro class with this 15 rigger.

Fellas,

Once we get the right propeller on them they will run close to a good 21 Hydro. :D

Anthony,

So what do you want to try next? (1640,X-640)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark, parts are a lot easier to find now than when I first got into running .12's, back in the late `90's.

I agree, right now let's just stay with the .12's only as that's what the "A" class allows, that's why I stated above that we have to let this class take off first before thinking of something like an "A+" class.

Whenever Andy and Co. get the A/A .12 out there should be a revolution in the "A" class. Like mentioned on another thread, there will be a demand for not just 'riggers but monos too so manufacturers need to have hulls ready for us to drop these engines into with engine rails already installed. Sorry, but right now, too many have been just a flash in the pan. Grimmie started to produce the Wild Thing 26 until his new job kind of put the kabosh on that, the WHH Mini-Manta Ray isn't being made at the moment that I know of so we're going to have to look at the FE boat makers to adapt their hulls for our use.

Ray Fuller said they would put rails in the DarkHorse mono if requested... or maybe that was his hydro.

If we say only .12s then the guys buying RTR's will not be able to race.

Mark, parts are a lot easier to find now than when I first got into running .12's, back in the late `90's.

I agree, right now let's just stay with the .12's only as that's what the "A" class allows, that's why I stated above that we have to let this class take off first before thinking of something like an "A+" class.

Whenever Andy and Co. get the A/A .12 out there should be a revolution in the "A" class. Like mentioned on another thread, there will be a demand for not just 'riggers but monos too so manufacturers need to have hulls ready for us to drop these engines into with engine rails already installed. Sorry, but right now, too many have been just a flash in the pan. Grimmie started to produce the Wild Thing 26 until his new job kind of put the kabosh on that, the WHH Mini-Manta Ray isn't being made at the moment that I know of so we're going to have to look at the FE boat makers to adapt their hulls for our use.

I would be all for it, I have both a .12 rigger and a RTR hydro. I'd like the chance to race both boats with more people

If we say only .12s then the guys buying RTR's will not be able to race.
Run it like the use to run the APBA P class races, make it a race what you bring class, have a speed run and put the boats into brackets based on their top speed or average lap speed...

The Hydro Masters is a classic event so I really can't see them letting in just anything. People need to push the district races if they want to see the RTR boats racing. With boats like the Miss Elam coming out giving the Miss Bud/LLumar a run for the money, maybe a club that has some extra time on a race day would like to give it a shot. Time alone is going to be a more of a factor at one-day races with us wanting an "A" class, a RTR or what Bill Zuber and John Equi want to modify, the ABS class plus all of the Gas classes that want to expand.

Still, the question remains, are there enough people willing to show up to make it worth their while?

The Hydro Masters is a classic event so I really can't see them letting in just anything. People need to push the district races if they want to see the RTR boats racing. With boats like the Miss Elam coming out giving the Miss Bud/LLumar a run for the money, maybe a club that has some extra time on a race day would like to give it a shot. Time alone is going to be a more of a factor at one-day races with us wanting an "A" class, a RTR or what Bill Zuber and John Equi want to modify, the ABS class plus all of the Gas classes that want to expand.

Still, the question remains, are there enough people willing to show up to make it worth their while?
The hydro masters was once just for hydros, the best of the best shootout type event, but as with other things the interest got low. It appears to be coming back. If this continues we can again seperate back into 1 race for hydros and 1 for tunnels. but for now we/I will entertain running what we need to based on entries. If we get 3 entries in .12 hydro we will run the class for trophies. We need 6 for a green jacket class. We will run the ready to run boats in the b hydro class. It took alot to increase the .10 size to .12, so lets leave it there. There is only so much time to run a race and we have tooooo many classes now. So if you want to put a .15 or bigger in, sorry, it runs in .21 class. same for the .30, that fits in C hydro class, but where do we stop. Must be why Namba runs a,b,c,and x. build what you want and run it where it fits. But in the meantime, just build something and join a club and lets race what you brung what ever class it fits in. just my take on it.

It got a little off tangent here but it looks like the "A" hydro class would be a success. They're already talking smack over the the General forum!

I'm waiting to see how many racers would come home from that meet and go "I gotta get me one of those!"

Back