A geard "Wilfong" tuned 91RS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickard Andersson

Here in Europe we race in rough water for 8-12min heats (25-30 laps), therfore a need for bigger boats. Big boats tend to run faster with big prop's. To do that you can gear it to be able to swing bigger prop's. I messure my boats performance in "lap time's", second to that and in some way the key to do it is the turn speed. As far as I know, no one yet here in Europe is using geard engines in the 15cc NAVIGA offshore class. This will be the first :ph34r:

The engine is build by, as someone wrote; Mr "outsidthebox" David Wilfong. I'm very happy to have an engine build by David! The hull I'm going to use is my 53" X-Craft mono, I have 3 hull's lined up with 3 diffrent bottoms (also "outsidethebox :ph34r: ). The only thing is that for the last 4 weeks I have had no time for my boats,,,,,,,,,,,,, but that will change in a few days! :D

This might be a "kick xxx combo",,,,,,,, or maby not,,,,, the futuere will tell!

Rille

IMG_4476.JPGIMG_4477.JPGIMG_4478.JPG

Just curious, how wide are the gears? Is the plastic one the same delrin from the UK that everyone seems to be using? Think it'll hold up?

I had a heck of a time keeping gears in my little .21 until Grim's grandpa told me the secret one night... ^_^

Terry, the FSR-V racers do race 30min heats and all of them use gearbox. If it hold up for them It will do the job for me! It is a German gearbox that I'm going to use. What is the secret,,,,,, as far as I know many of the 3,5 and 7,5 offshore racers here in Europé use gearbox and I have not yet seen a gearbox brake down on a race.

http://www.neussel-m....htm?d_3404.htm

Rille
Dave Marles told me when I put it together 10 years ago to run the gears very loose, I didn't realize how loose he meant. The plastic gear gets warm and grows and if the fit isn't quite loose the begin with it sheds the teath.

Grim's grandpa, well that's another story... :rolleyes:

Terry, the FSR-V racers do race 30min heats and all of them use gearbox. If it hold up for them It will do the job for me! It is a German gearbox that I'm going to use. What is the secret,,,,,, as far as I know many of the 3,5 and 7,5 offshore racers here in Europé use gearbox and I have not yet seen a gearbox brake down on a race.

Rille
Dave Marles told me when I put it together 10 years ago to run the gears very loose, I didn't realize how loose he meant. The plastic gear gets warm and grows and if the fit isn't quite loose the begin with it sheds the teath.

hey terry,was woundering how much clearence in .001.i would think if our plastic gears in on road cars hold up under high heat from high rpm's should be good enough for the boats,thanks,mike.

I have some diffrent ratio setup to test on this gearbox. Neussel made all the parts needed for me to set up the gearbox in the right way. The gearbox will hold up, that I know, so I can focus on setting up the boat and try to turn it into a winner! A user friendly, easy to setup, no bad habits that putting down fast laps after another. How hard can it be?????? Or?

Rille

Rille

hey terry,was woundering how much clearence in .001.i would think if our plastic gears in on road cars hold up under high heat from high rpm's should be good enough for the boats,thanks,mike.
I guess to be precise I could somehow measure how much one gear rotates with the other stationary, but it's quite a bit.

I made the unit with the C/L's of the shafts the right distance apart (25mm IIRC) and it seemed loose enough but wasn't.

Grim's grandpa told me to go looser and I ended up with a 0.015" shim under the motor. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My delringears are 15mm wide with Modul 1, on FSR races are now two systems working. Some drivers using normal boatsize with ratio 0,9:1 and other with bigger models 1,1-1,2:1, Neussel´s gearbox have Modul 1,5 10mm wide. Only one problem with the old 90RS you have - CMB stopped production for reverse disc, for this i ´m making the 360° disc´s

Back