A couple newbie q's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Swejkoski

Just a couple more newbie questions..

Whats the correct way to measure the length of the pipe? Was told to run it at 11 1/2"???How would you adjust if its to long do you cut the pipe?If its to short do you just add a longer header pipe?

Also was told to run 25-40% nitro....I'm going to start w/ 25%.......went to the local hobby store and wasn't sure on what to buy...what % oil mixture do I need?

The guy behind the counter was'nt to much help he said he was into the planes and heli's and wasn't sure on what fuel I should use in a boat????????

Again its a k&b .67

Thanks again,Brian

Whats the correct way to measure the length of the pipe? Was told to run it at 11 1/2"???How would you adjust if its to long do you cut the pipe?If its to short do you just add a longer header pipe?

Also was told to run 25-40% nitro....I'm going to start w/ 25%.......went to the local hobby store and wasn't sure on what to buy...what % oil mixture do I need?

The guy behind the counter was'nt to much help he said he was into the planes and heli's and wasn't sure on what fuel I should use in a boat????????

Again its a k&b .67

Thanks again,Brian
Brian, measure from the glow plug to the widest part of the pipe. If you have a pipe that has a long straight header section, you can cut some of the straight section of the pipe, to arrive at the correct length. Some pipe/header combos will allow the pipe to slide over the header which elimianates alot of pipe coupler burn out problems. If your pipe does not slide over the header, try and keep the space between header and pipe at a minimum. You can also cut some of the header, for correct length, but dont cut header too short, or you wont have enough area, for proper pipe coupler retention. I would recommend fuel with 18% oil content. If your hobby shop has some Sig fuel, with Klotz/castor oil, go for it. Good fuel, for beginners. We used to call it "greasy kids stuff" lol. 25% nitro will be fine. Good luck, and have fun. Richard D

Brian, Throw some 60% in it and listen to it sing!! :D :D Just remember to make small pipe changes. I ruined a few pipes in my days by cutting off too much. I like to cut the header first the the pipe to get the lenght I need. Headers are usually cheaper to replace if you screw up. Just my 2 pennys. Ryon Shaw

Brian, Throw some 60% in it and listen to it sing!! :D :D Just remember to make small pipe changes. I ruined a few pipes in my days by cutting off too much. I like to cut the header first the the pipe to get the lenght I need. Headers are usually cheaper to replace if you screw up. Just my 2 pennys. Ryon Shaw

thanks......I think I'll stick w/ the 25% for now, until I get the hang of the nitro thing.Don't want to blow it up to early.

thanks for the help
Any time Brian. When you measure your pipe length, its best to measure along side the motor and pipe. Not over the top of the engine and pipe. Center of cylinder to widest part of pipe. Richard D
Richard, Just like Brian above I am also new to this and want to learn all I can. I am a often accused for thinking to much about stuff so please excuse my question if it comes across the wrong way because I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience. I was wondering if you could clarify your measuring technique for me? Why do you suggest measuring along the side of the motor and pipe and not over the top? Would that not shorten the measured length because the full length of the run from the cylinder center to the header bend radius would be artificially shortened? The error would be exasperated if we were measuring a front/rear (which ever one it officially is called) exhaust ported engine as compared to a side exhaust model.

How much of a gap between the header and pipe is too much? My Miss Vegas has (as best as I can see in my minds eye) almost 3/4 of an inch gap that is covered with just the coupler. I have often wondered if that would be a performance robbing attribute because of the disruption on gas and pressure signal flow.

Raymond

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be SKEERD! It's only nitro! Get some O'Donnell's boat 50% set head clearance .014 use cold plug K&B HP or similar run rich and go for it.

Don't be SKEERD! It's only nitro! Get some O'Donnell's boat 50% set head clearance .014 use cold plug K&B HP or similar run rich and go for it.

lol............how do you measure head clearance?I am assuming pulling the glow plug and measure down to the piston?

When you say run rich, how rich where should my settings be?I'm not sure which adjustments are which?

Last edited by a moderator:

lol............how do you measure head clearance?I am assuming pulling the glow plug and measure down to the piston?

When you say run rich, how rich where should my settings be?I'm not sure which adjustments are which?
The easy way to check clearance is to take a piece of small solder bend it in a L shape and stick it in the plug hole so it touches the cylinder wall. Turn the motor over and crush the solder. Pull it out and measure how thick it is. this will let you know were you are.

There are shims between the head and sleeve some times. By removing shims you can change clearance.

Read this. It should get you started. Remember lean- scream , rich-roar

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/67/5100.htm

When you measure from center of casing to the weld of the pipe you are measuring on a angle which will give you a true readin when ever you do measure make sure you do it the same way all the time else you get different readings.

The easy way to check clearance is to take a piece of small solder bend it in a L shape and stick it in the plug hole so it touches the cylinder wall. Turn the motor over and crush the solder. Pull it out and measure how thick it is. this will let you know were you are.

There are shims between the head and sleeve some times. By removing shims you can change clearance.

Read this. It should get you started. Remember lean- scream , rich-roar

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/67/5100.htm

thanks for all the help

ok,I stuck a piece of solder in the plug hole and smashed it I meausered .021,took head off no shims????????know what??how do I get .014??I did'nt have it touching the cyl. wall will that make a diff.? I know my mics. are good I used to be a machinist before the economy took a ****......I also tried 2 mics. just to be sure both the same.

I had the same problem. Take out the sleeve and sand down the top put sand paper on piece of glass and take your time. make sure you rotate the sleeve and go in one direction. If you go to far you can use shims to make up difference. just make sure you keep it square using thickness of lip on sleeve as reference.now that you have it apart re check clearance. Bring piston to top of sleeve and measure distance to top of sleeve. Then measure the part on head that goes in cyl and subtract that from the first measurement . That is your clearance.

Again its a k&b .67

Thanks again,Brian

Hi Brian, Be a little careful as to how hard you spin up your K&B....they seem to be known for breakin rods depending on what model K&B you have..and you may have some difficulty finding parts for that motor.....there are parts out there though if you have any problems just go to the "FOR SALE" section and ask....

Back