8th scale windsheild install

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Whitt

I have an electric 8th scale MHZ Miss Bud.Last season I just campained it with a blacked in windsheild.This year however I would like to do up the cockpit.TheDumas cockpit kit is on the way.I would like Troy Mcantires number if anyone would like too post it( I need to order the windsheild and mirrors) and also some pointers on cutting and installing the new windsheild.This is going to be alittle hairy as the boat was laid up in red pigmented epoxy and painting over any patched mistakes would ne nearly imposable.Thanks in advance.

View attachment 3886

Dennis Whitt said:
I have an electric 8th scale MHZ Miss Bud.Last season I just campained it with a blacked in windsheild.This year however I would like to do up the cockpit.TheDumas cockpit kit is on the way.I would like Troy Mcantires number if anyone would like too post it( I need to order the windsheild and mirrors) and also some pointers on cutting and installing the new windsheild.This is going to be alittle hairy as the boat was laid up in red pigmented epoxy and painting over any patched mistakes would ne nearly imposable.Thanks in advance.
84726[/snapback]

I don't have his number but here is Troy's e-mail- [email protected]

Dennis...If you tape off the area to be cut giving your self 1/4 " more over that then drawing a line where you want to cut..Cut inside the line with a dremal cutting wheel..Later you can lightly sand to line..Paint the cut area black..Glue cockpit windsheld from inside useing silicone (clear ) The tape helps the paint from chiping off ...Hope this helps .

Thanks for the help guys.I called Troy and is very EZ to order from.I still think that it is going to be a tough job as the nose and cockpit area are all one peice.So I cant just take the top off and work from the inside.But i think it will be worth the effort.By the way Pacific Grafix did the art work on her.I little chunk of coin but three times the return as far as results.It is so cool workin with guys that know what the hell there doin.

Fast electrics are still kind of in there infancy and a lot aguys are just kinda gettin the hang of things.Did you guys catch that shes electric and does about 55 on 32 Nmh cells ??Throwin Lipos in her this spring.More voltage and less weight.About how fast are the nitro 8th boats doin?

Dennis Whitt said:
Did you guys catch that shes electric and does about 55 on 32 Nmh cells ??Throwin Lipos in her this spring.More voltage and less weight.About how fast are the nitro 8th boats doin?
85178[/snapback]

What kind of full power run time do you get? B)

well with standard nimh cells around 3 mins but, with lipos around 7 or 8 mins but, you would also have faster speeds.. With lipos we will probably be around mid to low 60's

Last edited by a moderator:
brooks93 said:
well with standard nimh cells around 3 mins but, with lipos around 7 or 8 mins but, you would also have faster speeds..  With lipos we will probably be around mid to low 60's
86460[/snapback]

Now for the trick question- how much cash does one have to lay out for the motor, ESC & Lipos to push a scale boat at 60mph?? :blink:

LOL thats the question you don't want the answer too..

motor 500.00

ESC 225 to 600 depending on which one you use

Lipo's 800 to 1200 depending on the cells and how they are setup as far as Series and Parallel

but, lipos are really just starting to come down in price but the capacity and amp draws that they are capable of are alot higher.

we are only limited by the cells.. with more testing I would be willing to bet as time goes on you will see electric 1/8th scales in the mid to low 70's

brooks93 said:
LOL thats the question you don't want the answer too..
motor 500.00

ESC 225 to 600 depending on which one you use

Lipo's 800 to 1200 depending on the cells and how they are setup as far as Series and Parallel

but, lipos are really just starting to come down in price but the capacity and amp draws that they are capable of are alot higher.

we are only limited by the cells.. with more testing I would be willing to bet as time goes on you will see electric 1/8th scales in the mid to low 70's

86467[/snapback]

OUCH! You're talkin' like $2,500 for the drivetrain. Guess I burn a little more nitro for a while. :p

Hi Don,

OUCH! You're talkin' like $2,500 for the drivetrain.
LOL, not really that bad. The combo I'm running right now is close but not that high. The motor is 500 but will last a lifetime with no maintence. The speed control was 225.00 and 32 cells can vary in cost but figure a minimum of 160.00. Now keep in mind that motor is used in several classes I run along with the speedo and batteries so the cost is relative.

Paul.

YES its alot cheaper if you run nimh batts and not lipos but, think of it as have a 50 gallon barrel of fuel for your boat.. Lipos last alot longer then nimh so the up front cost is higher but, over time they are cheaper

motor 500

esc 225

lipos 1000

putting the smake down on a nitro 1/8.. priceless.. :D

Aren't Lipos sensive to water? What happens when a very warm battery is rapidly cooled down with cool water. And yes scale hydros do flip evey now & then.

if a electric boat takes on that much water then you have alot more to worry about then your batts.. and the lipo's would probably be fine if you dried them afterwards.. actually salt water is what you use to dispose of a lipo.. punch a couple holes in and set the cell in salt water.. no more battery.

so far I haven't gotten a set of lipo's hot enough to find out.. ran 51mph in a 52" mono for just over 3 mins and the cells where under 80 degree's

Don Ferrette said:
brooks93 said:
if a electric boat takes on that much water then you have alot more to worry about  then your batts..
86527[/snapback]

So I guess you need a really big "radio box" :p

86545[/snapback]

YEA I want to know how brooks is going to deal with that I suggested he just make a cover for the whole engine well and mount the cowl on top.

So I guess you need a really big "radio box" 
no just a big tupaware bowl.. LOL

actually plan on making the top tapeable and glassing the cockpit to the hull so I can just tape over seam.. or I will just make a sub hatch.. I will have a plastic box with a lid to go around the sturt brackets that I can tape the edges so if water comes up by the strut brackets it won't go anywhere.

I will post some pics of how I am doing the hatch once I get it all figured out..

I would like to try to get a race with electric and nitro 1/8ths some time.. maybe we can do something at the Internats in Tennesse this year when all the racing is done.

Hi Don,

So I guess you need a really big "radio box"
LOL, in electrics the whole boat is a radio box. I've had boats submarine 4 or more feet underwater and they still run. Just let off the throttle and they pop up like a cork. :D

brooks93 said:
I will post some pics of how I am doing the hatch once I get it all figured out..
I would like to try to get a race with electric and nitro 1/8ths some time.. maybe we can do something at the Internats in Tennesse this year when all the racing is done.

86568[/snapback]

How about making a rear bulkhead installed in front of the strut and use a rubber boot for the rudder linkage, then you wont have to worry about water coming in thru the strut or rudder control rod hole.

Back