82U55 Set-up Help Needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Locke

Hello Gents,

I`ve been running a PT 82U55 for the past few years and today I was out breaking in my new green head (graduated from OPS)......My biggest problem is keeping this thing on the water!!!!! the boat was set-up as per phils instructions (strut depth, balance point etc) I`ve adjusted strut depth`s + adding weight , but still very flighty when using X series props.....I had 1455 and that worked the best but didn`t have anything larger at the time........Can someone please shed some light on what works to settle this hull down....

Thank for your help, Mike

Where is the C.G.?

Should balance at about the middle of the turn fin.

What is the strut depth?

Is it flat, when setting on riding surfaces on a flat table. or does it have negative angle?

The X series props don't have much in the way of lifting charictoristics, try a Prather S255.

Yep, it's amazing how much more power the CMB has compared to the OPS.

Good luck testing

Rick

That CMB will get the boat over 60 probally faster than the OPS setup.

The 82U55 has a lot of lift when it gets going that fast.

What prop was working with the OPS?

The motor should be able to use a x457/3 x460 or x460/3 even a x455/3 will give plenty of speed.

Drop the strut and add some more angle till the boat will run tighter on the water.

Add some weight to the front sponson tips, more on the left than right.

Try the strut adjustments first then add weight to fine trim, dont over do the weight.

PHIL

Thanks for the reply`s,

My strut depth is 1 5/8 deep with a least 2 deg of neg trim and the C. of G. is around 22-23" from the transom (pretty well even with turn fin) When running an OPS I used an ABC 57X76, worked ok but great - If it`s a little windy, I can almost do a controlled wheelie at times.....

Mike

That CMB will get the boat over 60 probally faster than the OPS setup. The 82U55 has a lot of lift when it gets going that fast.

What prop was working with the OPS?

The motor should be able to use a x457/3 x460 or x460/3 even a x455/3 will give plenty of speed.

Drop the strut and add some more angle till the boat will run tighter on the water.

Add some weight to the front sponson tips, more on the left than right.

Try the strut adjustments first then add weight to fine trim, dont over do the weight.

PHIL

I ran that hull for a few years and the CMB really is a big difference in power. If you can keep the transom up to bleed out air from underneath, you'll have a better chance of keeping it down. I used a prather 250 or 255 prop. The 255 has a lot of pitch, so you have to adjust things accordingly. The hull works very well in rough water and will turn like the best.

Anyone else run this hull ?

I was out testing with Mike today and this boat is a handfull to keep on the water.

Tested 14 and 16 series props today and it was better but still not were it should be.

Anyone testing air deflectors or adding lots of weight?

Tim

I was out testing with Mike today and this boat is a handfull to keep on the water.

Tested 14 and 16 series props today and it was better but still not were it should be.

Tim
Ok here is my trick, Get yourself some shoegoo and a windshield wiper blade. Remove the rubber from the blade and glue it all the way across near the front. Add another row on either side of the belly pan an inch or 2 behind the first one. When i add weight to the front its always to the left sponson. tape tye or glue the weight to a pool noodle and shove it all the way up front. Bring the prop back as far as you can and still be legal,i like to expose the drive dog ears but the rest must be under the transom. Another thing if you can find the widest Less than 9/16 strut it will help keep the tail from dragging. If the tail drags too much you have yourself a kite Mike

Hey guy's I ran a hull yesterday with a 250 at little Bristol and had no issues of flight problems. Need to get a angle on that strut boat handle just fine. Thanks everyone on the set up tips it helped me. Doug you should have kept that boat. <_< Mike are you going to Celina? Don

Hey guy's I ran a hull yesterday with a 250 at little Bristol and had no issues of flight problems. Need to get a angle on that strut boat handle just fine. Thanks everyone on the set up tips it helped me. Doug you should have kept that boat. <_< Mike are you going to Celina? Don
I cant make Celina wish i could. Our race is my next one......Cant wait for LITTLE BRISTOL

Yea, with the gas prices so high if it was not close to work I would not be going to Celina. Hate that you can not make it but I will see you at little thunder. I will send in my entry form today.

Tim
Ok here is my trick, Get yourself some shoegoo and a windshield wiper blade. Remove the rubber from the blade and glue it all the way across near the front. Add another row on either side of the belly pan an inch or 2 behind the first one. When i add weight to the front its always to the left sponson. tape tye or glue the weight to a pool noodle and shove it all the way up front. Bring the prop back as far as you can and still be legal,i like to expose the drive dog ears but the rest must be under the transom. Another thing if you can find the widest Less than 9/16 strut it will help keep the tail from dragging. If the tail drags too much you have yourself a kite Mike

Hey Mike

Thanks for the info on the wiper blade Mikes boat has settled down now because of that little trick.

Tim K

Tim

Hey Mike

Thanks for the info on the wiper blade Mikes boat has settled down now because of that little trick.

Tim K
Your welcome anything to help the Scale guys.

Latest posts

Back