80 mph 20 hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preston,

It is a heat race boat,the S.A.W. 21 boat hit 103 MPH before I put it away

in October. With good weather and water conditions this year the record

should fall. Mother Nature just has to be good to us in May & September.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Preston,
It is a heat race boat,the S.A.W. 21 boat hit 103 MPH before I put it away

in October. With good weather and water conditions this year the record

should fall. Mother Nature just has to be good to us in May & September.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund
Ok Mark, you opened the can. You are building a heat race 21 boat that will be faster than the record holding oval boat? Not to mention that it will be racing faster than 90% of the boats out there. Come on dude.

We here at IW have discussed this before. You got a tall cup of tea.

I don not know where you race but you are not running 80 anything while heat racing.

As for SAW, you have improved greatly since the past trials. From what I hear your boat did not run 90.

I hope you are not calculating speed the same way you where figuring on the tunnel boat that KP had.

I might eat a bunch of crap one day but it won't be tomorrow.

We here at IW have discussed this before. You got a tall cup of tea.
I don not know where you race but you are not running 80 anything while heat racing.

As for SAW, you have improved greatly since the past trials. From what I hear your boat did not run 90.

I hope you are not calculating speed the same way you where figuring on the tunnel boat that KP had.

I might eat a bunch of crap one day but it won't be tomorrow.

AT LAST, SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN!!!!!!

Don :)

Well...

I will say... anything is possible...

With enough hardwork and effort why not?...

It's just best that you have witnesses...

lots of them...

and particulary ones that aren't your best buddies...

If then the word remains the same that your boat is that fast...

then maybe it is true.

But after that...

Keep it up...

No one hit wonder.

or at least in the ball park...

So...

Plenty of witnesses

that aren't your best buddies

and consistant performance.

Puts the proof in the pudding

So...

If you are doing 80 in heat race form (with other boats running preferably at least 3 or more)

I would expect to hear nothing less than 74 or 75 with a 79 and 80 mixed in there at any given time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My RTR vegas went 142mph with no prop, or fuel.... don't tell the people on my road that was me....

the average speed of a 10 second lap is 60 mph.....if you are dead on the bouys........even at that what kind of speed is lost in the turn.....so what kind of speed would you need in the straights to keep your 60 mph average. now only one thing kept me out of college and that was highschool but lets say we are 15 feet off the bouys...what is the increased distance we are travelling beyond the 1\6th mile lap? and how much of a effect would that have on average speed. I have watched the video at CMDi of the 19.172 2 lap run and I would have a hard time thinking his top speed in the straights of the run is less than 63 mph.

just thoughts

Kelly

The IMPBA F hydro oval speed record is 72mph. That boat was doing 99mph at the end of the straights.

The 20 record is 63. I think that boat was running about 75 at the end of the straight. I am sure Andy or John knows the speed.

If I remember correctly, if you are 5 feet from the inside guy then you will have to be 5mph faster than him just to stay even. This is consideering a constant speed of course. Now if you quit being so concerned over speed and work on time then you have learned something. As we all know, speed is lost in the turns. A lot of speed! So how do we compensate? By building a faster boat. I can tell you now that theory is not the best. John Finch built some boats that were not the fastest down the straight but they turned like nothing else. The result was him reducing the record times by over a second in some cases. To drop a record by one second is HUGE!

I do not know where Roger's lap times went to but he was on the money with how to judge speed.

Kelly we are actually talking heat race boats, different critters than record trial stuff my friend. But you're thinking is on the mark as the oval times are really deceiving since they are based on a course that is physically impossible to run (it's plotted through the buoy centerlines). When John Finch & I teamed up to bust out the 40 oval record the boat was entering the turns right in the mid 90's & turning 8 1/2 second laps but the listed speed is only 69.43mph. :blink: :unsure:

The IMPBA F hydro oval speed record is 72mph. That boat was doing 99mph at the end of the straights.
Yo P, remember we radared John & Kentley's F boat entering the corner at 103 & leaving at a tick over 98. It's not that we lose that much speed in the corners it's that we are timed based on a course line physically impossible to run. :huh:

As Kelly said, at 60 mph, you would do 10 second laps, if you were exactly on the bouys. If my spreadsheet is right, at 5 feet out you would need to do 62.14 to maintain the 10 sec lap time. Add an additional 2.14 mph for each additional 5 feet in radius. Here are some numbers for faster speeds: 65 - 2.32, 70 - 2.5, 75 - 2.68, ...

the average speed of a 10 second lap is 60 mph.....if you are dead on the bouys........even at that what kind of speed is lost in the turn.....so what kind of speed would you need in the straights to keep your 60 mph average. now only one thing kept me out of college and that was highschool but lets say we are 15 feet off the bouys...what is the increased distance we are travelling beyond the 1\6th mile lap? and how much of a effect would that have on average speed. I have watched the video at CMDi of the 19.172 2 lap run and I would have a hard time thinking his top speed in the straights of the run is less than 63 mph.
just thoughts

Kelly

I ran a 19.86 at Huntsville sometime ago with my 20 hydro heat racing boat in heat racing trim. My boat was running 72 mph in the shoots pass after pass. I think the average mph was 59 plus for that record. I would say it was on the bouys about a foot off or so. Hope that helps

Ron Jr.

The 20 record is 63. I think that boat was running about 75 at the end of the straight. I am sure Andy or John knows the speed.

If I remember correctly, if you are 5 feet from the inside guy then you will have to be 5mph faster than him just to stay even. This is consideering a constant speed of course. Now if you quit being so concerned over speed and work on time then you have learned something. As we all know, speed is lost in the turns. A lot of speed! So how do we compensate? By building a faster boat. I can tell you now that theory is not the best. John Finch built some boats that were not the fastest down the straight but they turned like nothing else. The result was him reducing the record times by over a second in some cases. To drop a record by one second is HUGE!

I do not know where Roger's lap times went to but he was on the money with how to judge speed.
I took them out because I didn't want people to lose site of the focus of the post and/or my examples by thinking "I" was just trying to use the post tell everybody how fast "I" went.

I took them out because I didn't want people to lose site of the focus of the post and/or my examples by thinking "I" was just trying to use the post tell everybody how fast "I" went.
Put them back in we know your not boasting. Id like to see it....Mike

Latest posts

Back