70 mph B Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1450's are still some of the best props for a 20 hydro.. will run mid 70 - 75 all day long

JEFF, if you want to run in the 70s.

Need to change the crank timing, the stock timing is about 205, open the timing up to 215. closes at 65 ATDC.

Cut the ex. to 30 degree blown down.

Get OPS pipe and run it at 7 3/4 with H-7 prop with 3.6 pitch, it will run in the 70s all day

Norris

Hey Andy: What did the S-15 start life as?

Any you 20 hydro guys mess with cut down 1650's? :rolleyes:
Octura 1655 was copied by Tidewater to make the ABC 55X88. They shrink in the proccess of molding so the ABC 55X 88 was smaller than the 1655, both in diameter and pitch. I cut down and narrowed the 55X88 and used it on my Picco Powered Eagle at the 1994 Ft.Worth internats. I won SAW with a one way pass of 77 mph. I had prepared the same prop for Stein Tumert who came over from Norway to race with us. His heavy Picco powered Pinckert Daytona (fiberglass version) got 2nd in SAW with a 72 mph. No one else was close to us in speed. I had modified both Piccos.They where the first EXR version. After that Tidewater molded the cut down 55X88 props that we had used at the Internats and we desiganted it the S-15. Because of the shrinkage the S-15 is a bit smaller than the props that Stein and I used. We were not turning all that many rpm as the EXR Picco had a very small exhaust port and produced a lot of torque. I made the H-10 from the S-15. It had lots of potential, but was too thin and did not hold up. I don't know if the newest H-10 blades have been made thicker.

Octura 1655 was copied by Tidewater to make the ABC 55X88. They shrink in the proccess of molding so the ABC 55X 88 was smaller than the 1655, both in diameter and pitch. I cut down and narrowed the 55X88 and used it on my Picco Powered Eagle at the 1994 Ft.Worth internats. I won SAW with a one way pass of 77 mph. I had prepared the same prop for Stein Tumert who came over from Norway to race with us. His heavy Picco powered Pinckert Daytona (fiberglass version) got 2nd in SAW with a 72 mph. No one else was close to us in speed. I had modified both Piccos.They where the first EXR version. After that Tidewater molded the cut down 55X88 props that we had used at the Internats and we desiganted it the S-15. Because of the shrinkage the S-15 is a bit smaller than the props that Stein and I used. We were not turning all that many rpm as the EXR Picco had a very small exhaust port and produced a lot of torque. I made the H-10 from the S-15. It had lots of potential, but was too thin and did not hold up. I don't know if the newest H-10 blades have been made thicker.
Thanks!

Yes but it made the boat handle poorly

lots of torque steer
i have 1 of andy's 1650's he did specifically for my jae. have yet to test it, not touching anything 'til after the fall nats.

1450's are still some of the best props for a 20 hydro.. will run mid 70 - 75 all day long
the best prop (so far) on my jae is a full blade 1450 with 3.75 cup. no cuts at all, just s&b, & pitched up. it has run a flat 80, according to a wildlife officers laser gun. prolly in the mid to low 70's in most heat racing water. stable as a rock, does nothing funny.

keep tuning, jeff. sounds like you made need a little more load to get the engine to pull harder. more load, when matched to the engine will get more rpm. kinda like a chain saw "clearing out" in the heart of a tree ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back