7.5 ob

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x120leecraft

Hi every one. In your opion what is the best or the most 7.5 ob used today. Since k&b is shaky what's out there. Have a 7.5 leecraft hull. Thanks Dave in CT.

You kind of only have 4 realistic options.

Used K&B

Rossi

Nelson

CMB conversion.

Personally I run the CMB, but would seriously look into tthe long stroke nelson. Of course, there are plenty of Rossi's and K&B's that still rock around the pond.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the local boaters running in your area? They all perform well when set up right. I run a Leecraft with a Rossi.

Larry

What are the local boaters running in your area? They all perform well when set up right. I run a Leecraft with a Rossi.Larry
The K/B pro motors run well and hold up as well CMB is the hot ticket but at around 800 bucks by the time you convert it its PRICY

A Nelson with the right pipe carb and prop Is very hard to beat
See ya Jimmy
hi i think imo cmb but it is pricey i love the power. but a rossi worked right runns well and is a good all around motor for your leecraft this hull will handle about all the power you want

i have a b/m leecraft with a 7.5 semi pro k/b and ran it for several years in dist 11, what a great boat, really fast and handles very well. my k/b held up well except going through 2 lower units because the propshaft threads stripped out, maybe this was my fault no one else had the same problems. i started to get all of my k/b stuff from john otto at technology hobbies(excellent guy to deal with) and a wizard at outboard tunnels. i dont run my leecraft any more, the b-mod tunnel class died out and this hull sits on my shelf sometimes put on the bench to be cleaned and waxed and to be returned to its original spot. i have about 12 r/c boats and this is one of my favorates. good luck

The old Nelson's (short stroke) are very fast, but can be in pieces if not careful, and the Long stroke now has an aluminum sleeve, which can be tricky, but seem to be coming along. The CMB is reliable and fast, and the conversion is easy, if your handy with tools.

I did the conversion 10 years ago, before Irwin's, and it was copied within weeks of its first showing here in Florida. Parts are simple, and I will tell the secret...........

Aeromarine P/N 1402A 45/90 LONG rudder brackets. 8.95

R/C marine specialties 1/4 28 thread 1/4 in square shaft collet for drive dog, 11.00

Make the blocks to mount the motor to brackets, drill and tap.

The conversion came out of todays situation, motor availability. I took my sport 40 motor, and myself and Carl Ring, from WPB both started a race to come up with a working prototype. at the time I even made the drive dog out of a K&B 45 O/B drive dog and a stainless steel cap nut, which I still use today.

Ernie (LaFleur) has a SWEET bell housing type lower tower that he was making in TX, and the 45 EVO is BULLETPROOF !!!

Randy

Lots of different ways to go and depends on what your real goals are. (IMHO) Reliability goes to CMB then Rossi. Nelson and K&B also hold up well if maintained. Availiabilty Rossi & Nelson can be ordered tommorrow and the Rossi will be shipped directly. Parts are availible for all with maybe K&B being the worst here depending on the model. Speed well look ay the records, K&B still there and the Seismic boys can make a Rossi run very fast. The CMB is like a big block powerful but heavy. For handling and heat racing my choice is Nelson all the way. You can buy 2-3 for the price of a CMB conversion and they are as light as a K&B 8702. Keep in mind Henry Nelson dominates aviation competition and he seems to want to take a foothold in the marine business.

For a great finisher buy a Rossi, if you want to win anywhere go with a Nelson.

Mic

Keep in mind Henry Nelson dominates aviation competition and he seems to want to take a foothold in the marine business.

Not to get off the subject, But I wish Henry would of made some new molds for the 45 IB light and fast motors. I also Have the 45 on a HTB 360 and when I can get to run it's fast. one heat it runs good next it's a pooch??? still have'nt figured this one out

I have a ran K&B engins and they are good .Both on my 3.5 and 7.5 stock tunnels. I run a rossi on my 3.5 mod tunnel it is fast and it finishes heats . I just got a Nelson for my 7.5 mod tunnel have not ran it yet but have seen it run and wow .The CMB is fast but has a big $ price tag$ If you are a buget racer the Nelson or the Rossi is the way to go. I Think they are all good engins but they all have there pros & cons .It is like Chev vs Ford vs Dodge all great but they all have there pros & cons. It all comes down to how deep is your pocket book.

Back