6S redtail Kneeler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your 235 Prather is probably in the range of an X450-X452. I am not totally familiar with your T-600 but I do have a Scorpion/Hyperion 4020 1390KV that I have run on 6S on a tunnel. My other 6S motors are a Castle 1520/1600KV and a Neu 1515/1500KV. None would I run in a heat race with anything larger than a M447. For a couple passes the larger props are ok in a SAW but still a gamble. I have run the Swordy200 and T-180 also with these motors. I prefer the Sworfish 200. What I have found is smaller diameters are better. M445 and M545 on 6S. I was under the belief the 4020 could pull more prop but going from a M445 to a M447 I saw heat building that would not make 6 laps. Stay low on diameter and pitch and your equipment will last. The 4020 is the slowest of the 3 motors mentioned.

Mic

Your 235 Prather is probably in the range of an X450-X452. I am not totally familiar with your T-600 but I do have a Scorpion/Hyperion 4020 1390KV that I have run on 6S on a tunnel. My other 6S motors are a Castle 1520/1600KV and a Neu 1515/1500KV. None would I run in a heat race with anything larger than a M447. For a couple passes the larger props are ok in a SAW but still a gamble. I have run the Swordy200 and T-180 also with these motors. I prefer the Sworfish 200. What I have found is smaller diameters are better. M445 and M545 on 6S. I was under the belief the 4020 could pull more prop but going from a M445 to a M447 I saw heat building that would not make 6 laps. Stay low on diameter and pitch and your equipment will last. The 4020 is the slowest of the 3 motors mentioned.

Mic
I was thinking along the same lines but with no experience with a tunnel and outrunner I couldnt make a factual claim. Thanks Mic for that insite. Mic The T-600 has plenty of grunt, but I dont think its as efficient as a scorpion. Both stand to upgrade the bearings. This info was passed along to me buy a guy who upgrades them (scorpions) for military drone vehicles.

Ken, not telling you not to do as you wish but If JD thinks its quick I think you could just work on trimming that lady, and try a race.

Based on Mics advice maybe you could get a little more with a x645. When I had that on my mono, the t-600

gave me extended runtime and good punch with no issues.

Hugh

Last edited:
My experience is only with one outrunner and in time I need to do more comprehensive comparisons. Just hard to replace a Neu or Castle that is running well. It just didn't lite my fire so it is in the box as a spare. Bearings I totally agree with. The outrunner has a lot more mass and limitations with spinning forces and needs good bearings. Even routine mainenence or replacement on my Castles seems to run better. It is your motors only moving part.

Mic

I love my castle/Neu 1717, and its what will stay in the mono unless I replace it with a true Steve Neu motor, but im serious Mic and Ken when I say in my mono the t-600 1400kv came alive on a 452 - at a cost of course. Amps!

If it were me Id stay in the 45-50mm range but I woulnt try 52mm prop on a t-600 unless I had an esc that had a continuous rating of 240 or better. I think its clear that you dont need that big prop to be a competitive racer in your class. It may work what you want to do . I mean we know typically a mono will pull more amps. I just dont want to see you throw away 100 bucks if you dont have too. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
A surface drive mono will turn a prop a lot easier than a tunnel or hydro as the hull depresses water more evenly in front of the prop. Once you get to speed the tunnel lifts and water around the prop is much different than comming off the corner. I have run two passes with a 1600kv 6S setup and a prop as stiff as a 452 and used over 3500ma's of battery. That big of diameter may just put you over the temp cliff when you least expect it. There is a difference setting up to run a full heat with maybe a penalty lap over just free running. Thats the hard thing with electric power it sucks you in turning about anything reasonable you throw on it. The more prop you run the narrower that ledge is on the edge of the cliff. You don't get a second chance with FE. Fast is fun but comes with a price.

Mic

Wow thanks for all the info guy's. I'm not racing only running for fun. I like to go fast but I cant afford to keep poping 100.00 esc's. The one I did smoke was about 50.00. I def dont want to be burning up t180's or my sf200. I will do more testing with the prop i've been using and see how things go before trying anything bigger.

I did toy with the idea of putting the t600 in my wildthing mono and trying my leopard on the kneeler. I do like to try dif motor hull combo's. It keeps things interesting..lol but again i'm not rich by any means so 'need to be smart about the things I try.

A surface drive mono will turn a prop a lot easier than a tunnel or hydro as the hull depresses water more evenly in front of the prop. Once you get to speed the tunnel lifts and water around the prop is much different than comming off the corner. I have run two passes with a 1600kv 6S setup and a prop as stiff as a 452 and used over 3500ma's of battery. That big of diameter may just put you over the temp cliff when you least expect it. There is a difference setting up to run a full heat with maybe a penalty lap over just free running. Thats the hard thing with electric power it sucks you in turning about anything reasonable you throw on it. The more prop you run the narrower that ledge is on the edge of the cliff. You don't get a second chance with FE. Fast is fun but comes with a price.

Mic
Using data from personal runs and prop calculator programs my experience has been that monos draw more amps. All my boats run surface piercing props.

All I can say is different conditions make for different experiences, so you have to test for yourself. Just dont make prop jumps in size more than a mm or two as you work you way up.

Th t-600 will push a wild thing quite well but I like the idea of the t-600 powering a tunnel.The weight of the motor and lower profile leads to a boat thats easier to balance with a lower cg.

please post your testing results and try to get your hands on a data logger of some type.

Yes the leopard looks retarded on my kneeler. Sticks up like a giraff's neck...lol. Will stick with the t600. I just epoxied the cover for the motor so it should be finished up this week. I think it will look sharp. I may buy a 2nd t600 down the road to try in my wild thing. Its not like i would complain about that boat w/ the leopard. Its a rocket.

I would also love to get a data logger. I will keep watching to see if maybe a used one comes up for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leos are good motors. I can totally understand. It already looks good ;) .The outboard cover adds alot of character to the tunnels.

You said you may have room issues for a t-180 can we see an interior shot. Admittedly just is just a ploy to get under your cowl B) .

Hugh

Its kinda apart right now since i was drying out my esc. I will get some pics when its back together.

Back