6S redtail Kneeler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken turmon

Skip past the first 30sec where I was adjusting my radio...lol. Other than an issue with weeds at one end of the pond causing it to spin, it is working very well. very stable design.

Its a blackwell red tail. Yes it is very fast. I still have some other props to try yet so I might be able to squeeze out a tiny bit more performance.

It.s a t600 outrunner on a 7.5 lower. Hobbywing esc and sky lipo's.This run was with a modified octura x548. I also built a gear reduction unit for the steering which seems to help keep it cornering smoothly.

Always thought the t-600 would be a great alternative to the more expensive scorpion outrunner. Ive turned 452's with the 1400 kv model on 6 s without issue. You need to have a good robust esc though.

Nice ride. Jerry, a os 21 hasnt a chance against this outrunner.

Hugh

Last edited:
Yes its a beast for sure. You are correct the esc will poop out before the motor. Its barely luke warm after running. And the outrunners sound awesome too. I am working on an epoxy glass cowl for over the motor to keep some of the water splashing onto the motor when I fire it in the pond.Of course it will need to be vented but it will still keep out a lot of the water that splashes on it.

I see it . that really is nice. never seen a turnfin stuck out there like that. I always thought they went on the inside edge of the sponson closer to the rear. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Thanks for sharing

Hugh

Yes these boats seem to be very fussy about the fin placement. It has to be right on the balance point. The original design has a long plate that attaches to the rear of the front sponson. I just shortened it and placed both ends of the mount on the side of the hull. No real need for a longer mount since the fin pretty much has to be right where it is.

My esc pooped out. It was a 150 amp opto heli unit that I got on sale and thought i'd try. It just wasnt up to the task. It seems that amp rating isnt everything...lol . I'm going to install a seawing 180 and I have a bigger prop on the way. I dont think i will get to test it again for a couple weeks while I wait for parts. When i get it going I will def post a new video. Im interested to see how far I can push this hull.

The t 600 will turn a bigger prop but it will suck some amperage too. It turned a 452 no problem on my mono but it popped 2 skywing marine 200's so....... In comparison I had the same setup pushing a 645 all day no issue. X 450 same thing no issue, but when I stepped to the 452; pop went the weasel :( . I turned the same 452 on the same boat/trim with a 1717 and an HV hydra ice 200 v.2 no issue. I have to say I think the t600 had more grunt :eek: - yes, but it sucked way more amperage than the 1717. The fact that it quite a bit more than 4 poles also means its gonna tax the esc more especially at the higher rpms. 50k with an high pole count outrunner will knock out some of the cheaper esc's . Fact of life - cheaper mcu equals slower speed equals struggle with high degree timing -FIRE! I have to say . Unless I had ran some other with success I would even feel comforatble trying any economical 180 amp esc other than a t-180. That still is iffy If youre going to go to a even bigger prop, in my opinion. Is it really needed? Just looks like you need a little trim.Boat seems plenty fast.If you are trying to save a dollar id look at a 300 amp 8s model from fightercat or the turnigy marine-HV240. A datalogger will save you some woes.

I guess I can learn from your experience with these motors. Thanks for the info. I have a 200a swordfish i was going to use with a 1717. It sounds like it would be better suited for my t600. I can use the new t180 for the 1717. The hull its going in wont allow me to swing a huge prop anyway so it should be a good match. The other prop I was going to try on the kneeler was a prather 235. Do you think that would be too much for that motor/esc combo?

Im not familiar with the prathers numbers ,so I really cant help you much there :( Sorry.

Hugh

I got the prop yesterday. Its quite a bit bigger than the one i had been using. I'm not going to try it as it is. I will cut it down some first. Will let you know if it goes poof....lol

Dont do that. Contact Brian Bauss or Lohring. Those two have some experience with the outrunners on tunnels. Are you racing or looking for all out speed?

No need to burn up your esc. Theres someone On Iw that can tell you what to expect with that prather I just cant :wacko: .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back