60*nitro fuel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Brown

Can a new 5 port Novarossi run 60* nitro fuel or does need to be moded?And what mods does a new Novarossi need,and who is the top guy to get this done with.I`ts for a JAE 21G.I broke a Go motor that Rodney Pierce gave me because of my own stupidity,I`m going to try to get it fixed,and now I converted a truggy Novarossi Mill over and I have not had a chance to run it but peoples tell me that was the wrong thing to do.So I`m going to buy a new 5 port and I would like my Sundays be fun and not so dang much work but I bought a case of 60* fuel I would like to use.I know the who is a loaded ? but please give your input guys for I am still on the bottom side of the learning cuve thanks.Johnny Brown

JAE 21 build 003.JPG

It loves 60% And I believe .006-.008" Head clearance will be a good mod other than a pipe.

A new N/R will take time to break in, so patience Grass Hopper. Its a great motor and will get better and better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny, I missed your call, was working. Anyhow, dont listen to all the hype dude. Just run it. Pump the 60% fuel to it, set the clearance at .008 (.006 once you get some time under your belt, and learn the needle) and let it rip. Prop accordingly, and shorten the pipe. With the lower timing of the truggy mill, you will need a short pipe to pull RPM. Dont sweat it. Just run it, and get some time on the lake.

If you always listen to what everyone tells you is right or wrong, you will be going in circles forever.

Throw it in the water, and run the dog snot out of it buddy :D

hi johnny

i run the 45 vac cmb and the head bowl has been opened up a little to run 60 % this is what is sugested buy the cmb gurus as for nova im sure they will handle what you throw at them i dont run 21s but rodney does so i would run with what he recomends

i understand what you mean by spending sundays working and not having fun lol

after 12 months im now starting to have some fun also still working from time to time

hope you get it sorted soon

cheers rick

Can a new 5 port Novarossi run 60* nitro fuel or does need to be moded?And what mods does a new Novarossi need,and who is the top guy to get this done with.I`ts for a JAE 21G.I broke a Go motor that Rodney Pierce gave me because of my own stupidity,I`m going to try to get it fixed,and now I converted a truggy Novarossi Mill over and I have not had a chance to run it but peoples tell me that was the wrong thing to do.So I`m going to buy a new 5 port and I would like my Sundays be fun and not so dang much work but I bought a case of 60* fuel I would like to use.I know the who is a loaded ? but please give your input guys for I am still on the bottom side of the learning cuve thanks.Johnny Brown
I could be wrong, but running a brand engine with 60% and leaning out for optimum RPM's with out proper break will ruin a new engine pretty quick, Here is what I do on new engines.

Seal

When U have a new engine, in most cases it has a really tight piston to liner fit and needs a break in period, (lapping the piston to the liner).

This process needs to be fully completed for optimum piston longevity for max RPM's. A good way to get a visual on this process is to run a gallon of fuel on the smaller engines, (2 gallon on the larger engines) on the rich side, pull the liner out turn it on it side and slowly rotate and look for streaks starting at TDC and running down the liner towards the bottom. When there are no more streaks anywhere at just below TDC the engine will have a nice polished area at TDC all the way around the liner and can be leaned for max RPM's' A fairly new broken in engine will usually have a good seal allowing the compression to help burn the nitro.

JM2CW

dick

Thanks guys, today was another no fun day at the pond but with each trip I learn emintsly.I have offroad buggy and truggy wrapped up but this just add water thing is kicking my arse lol.It has also helped me with my fishing reel casting.

Its important to note your marine motor "Should not tune OR sound like your "car" motors on the bench" if it does.. you are going to be tossing that ball ALLOT!

So.. if its idling well on shore.. you’re in trouble on the water.

Grim

Mike is definitely right. When running that car motor in your boat you will have to run it much fatter. It should seem too rich when your on the stand. Open the throttle wide open, it should take 2-3 seconds to really spin up.. that should get you close. Start with a smaller prop, longer pipe and fat needle,.. then after you get it running consistently, shorten the pipe 1/4 at a time,.. lean down a bit..

If your breaking in a new engine you can find a ton of info on break in on this site.. Personally, I take the water line off the rudder, run real rich for about 1/2 gallon.. this lets it get hot but still lots of fuel for lube..

We break in our motors by running 2-3 tanks on the stand. Keep it rich enough so that the motor doesnt get too hot to touch. Let it cool down in between runs as well. Then run the boat rich with a small prop like the others said and after a gallon or so you can start getting some performance out of it. Nova motors can take some time to break in but the longer the better. Have fun!!

Latest posts

Back