5mm to OS square drive coupler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Linney

Looking for someone who makes these in steel. Do not want an aluminum one. I want the shaft to be the weak link and not the coupler.

No, but I think a steel one would last longer. Currently piecing together a P-Tunnel and just trying to bulletproof driveline. It seems like the aluminum would spread and allow cable to slip and damage square drive in coupler after using a while. Am I wasting my time looking for one?

My P-Tunnel uses an OS foot and the adapter from Hyperformance, Have had no problems yet. Even when testing it as a SAW boat with a 2700kv Neu.

I wouldn't worry about it unless we start to hear about failures.

Hi i have a hyperformance 3.5 leg and i have just had my coupler strip after breaking 3 cables in too over time, so it would be good as the thread started with does anyone know where to get a 5mmm to square coupler in steel.Also does the 7.5 use a bigger cable.

Peter

A full P power plant has the power of a 7.5 nitro engine with lots more torque. It's unrealistic to expect a unit designed for a 3.5 cc engine to hold up. the 3.5 lowers run well with P spec power plants as do the 3.5 sized boats. Full P power plants run better on 7.5 size boats except for SAW runs. See the topic on P spec tunnels in the tunnel forum for more information.

Lohring Miller

A full P power plant has the power of a 7.5 nitro engine with lots more torque. It's unrealistic to expect a unit designed for a 3.5 cc engine to hold up. the 3.5 lowers run well with P spec power plants as do the 3.5 sized boats. Full P power plants run better on 7.5 size boats except for SAW runs. See the topic on P spec tunnels in the tunnel forum for more information.

Lohring Miller
I disagree, Nitro motors have one pulse per revolution. Causing a shock to the flex cable every time. Brushless motors are much smoother being 4 to 6 poles. I have had zero issues running an 3.5 OS lower on my p_tunnel.Now, I'm not saying everyone should, It's just my personal preference. What works for me may not suit someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to say you need a 3/16th cable for a P but it would probably will be needed for a Q. It may also have something to do with prop diameters also, I have a .45 lawless and hyperfrmance adapter on my own HTV hull. The OS lowers we are using seem to be holding up well and neither Bill nor I have broken a shaft yet. It may also be due to the fact with 2200KV motors we have not gone over 45mm diameter props. Either way since they didnt instantly break under load we have kept using them as we like the prop shafts and how true they run vs K&B shafts which wear and wobble in a short time. Maybe the FE being so much smoother and not pounding like a nitro will allow the quality OS lower to be used. Until they start breaking regularily we will use them. As we eventually get into heat racing with full P's they will be tested. I do think w the combination of smoother power, small prop diameters and a shaft that doesn't wobble and bind is why they are working. (knock on wood)

Mic

I have run 1 cable for 2 yrs on my P/L set up Chris Flynn makes a flex shaft that fits the OS on 1 end and larger to better fit the ALUIM coupler on the other.I also use a oiler no problems so far.

I have run 1 cable for 2 yrs on my P/L set up Chris Flynn makes a flex shaft that fits the OS on 1 end and larger to better fit the ALUIM coupler on the other.I also use a oiler no problems so far.
Yep....Flynn Flex's for the OS lower....nothing better. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My problems with the coupler are from the square end on the shaft being to small and sloppy. Ie the stock os cable will give you heaps of trouble! REK makes a great coupler from aluminum!

Back