48" Bandit Tunnel/OS 81 inboard combo...need help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david62

Please help me with this combo before I start building. Any suggestion and comments are welcomed and thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please help me with this combo before I start building. Any suggestion and comments are welcomed and thanks in advance.
The only guy I know that installed an inboard engine in an outboard hull was Larry Ingles from the L.A. area.

He used a .45 engine in a Prather tunnel hull and did very well with it in the Sport 40 class. I have a pic showing Larry holding the boat and his 1st place trophy. Hopefully I can post the picture.

No details on the picture, but it does show the rudder hanging out the back of the boat.

The only guy I know that installed an inboard engine in an outboard hull was Larry Ingles from the L.A. area.

He used a .45 engine in a Prather tunnel hull and did very well with it in the Sport 40 class. I have a pic showing Larry holding the boat and his 1st place trophy. Hopefully I can post the picture.

No details on the picture, but it does show the rudder hanging out the back of the boat.
Sorry, the picture won't post.

Actually I just want to try out how it works with nitro inboard before I put a 260 in it. Think the Bandit and OS 81 works?

Actually I just want to try out how it works with nitro inboard before I put a 260 in it. Think the Bandit and OS 81 works?
David, I doubt you'll get any responses unless someome on this board has actually tried it.

I have two suggestions if you are going ahead and try it.

Be sure to re-enforce the area where the engine will go. Otherwise the vibration from that .81 engine will tear that area apart in my opinion.

Secondly, try to keep the balance point at about 30% from the back of the sponsons. Have to keep the boat flying somewhat to keep it from hooking and spinning out in the turns.

AS for doing it on a Bandit "Desperado"?, never been tried to my knowledge.

Good luck

Jack Garcia

i built a simillar boat it was a prather lap cat II WITH A PICCO .45 IN IT I BUILT IT ALL FROM SCRATCH LESST HE HULL THE BOAT WORKED VERY WELL RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE. THE BOAT WAS VERY FAST AND TURNED JUST LIKE IT WOULD IF IT HAD AN OUTBOARD ON IT. I'M TRYING TO FIND A PRATHER RACING TUNNELL THE ONE WITH THE ENCLOSED LOOKING CAPSALE RIGHT NOW TO PUT AN INBOARD IN IT I JUST HAVENT FOUND ONE YET AND DONT WANT TO BUY A NEW ONE. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT I LOVE TO SEE PEOPLE DO DIFFRENT THINGS OUTSIDE THE BOX..

Years ago a guy here in Georgia named Joe Horn put an OPS .67 in an old style Leecraft (pre XT460) 40 tunnel. The boat was a rocketship. He used to outrun riggers with it all the time. Very simple set up and yes the boat had to be reinforced where the engine was mounted. Too bad the boat was destroyed because of a radio malfunction. With the right hull and prop this idea works very well.

Bingo! Green light for me to start my project with positive feedbacks from you all. Thank you.

David

boats_002.jpg

I have an old Lap Cat II, no one races these in my area this might be a project to do later on . If anyone has a picture that would be cool to see how this would be done. Then maybe I could mount the OB on a mono hul l or something .

Ed.R

. Then maybe I could mount the OB on a mono hul l or something .

Ed.R

OB on a mono hull? Fun too. Tried mounting my 7.5 K&B to 41" mono hull few months ago and the boat is fun to drive and of course not a race boat, just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
For several years I ran the Irwin 2000 CMB .45 setup on my heat racing boat (article on this found here) with great success. As Jack suggests, though, the vibration had to be dealt with, as did how this setup really manhandled the boat and wore things out. That same setup is what we used to set the NAMBA .45 Mod Straightline Record (see NAMBA propwash story on page 13 to see the setup).

I'm not sure that anything larger that a .67 Inboard on the Lawless setup would work well as I have not personally tested it. I'm wondering if the larger engines wouldn't work better by adapting it to the Lawless drive for the G23 Gas engine. I was involved in an email exchange last night where the use of this kind of setup would have been part of the solution as well.

Latest posts

Back