.45 Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In stock form the 45RS is not all it can be but takes mods very easy then it is unstoppable. Ask any one that has raced my 40 mono. the bottom end is over the top if prepped right. I pull props no one can even think of pulling. But then again it is my own setup on the eng.

David

On my Mutt sport 40 here at 2200' the RS would not turn the 1455/3 properly but the AA45 had no problem turning it. The AA45 has good bottom end power and alot of top end. Its a screamer. The RS lacked bottom end....

Last edited by a moderator:
In stock form the 45RS is not all it can be but takes mods very easy then it is unstoppable. Ask any one that has raced my 40 mono. the bottom end is over the top if prepped right. I pull props no one can even think of pulling. But then again it is my own setup on the eng.

David

On my Mutt sport 40 here at 2200' the RS would not turn the 1455/3 properly but the AA45 had no problem turning it. The AA45 has good bottom end power and alot of top end. Its a screamer. The RS lacked bottom end....

Were talking stock vs stock..... A K&B can be made to run as hard as anything when modded....

David

Were talking stock vs stock..... A K&B can be made to run as hard as anything when modded....
Yes it can but it will pay the price KABOOM. I know I have many parts to prove it. The new RS45 is bullet proof.

Proper set up of any eng is important to make it perform the best.

I you want to be at the top of your game you need to spend the time on the eng setup or you are gust going around in circles with every one else.

That is why it important to have your eng checked out and set up even if it is new.

Only small attention to certain thing on the RS45 will produce big gains in power.

The design of the eng lends it self to great gains in power more than other designs.

David

David

Yes it can but it will pay the price KABOOM. I know I have many parts to prove it. The new RS45 is bullet proof.

I you want to be at the top of your game you need to spend the time on the eng setup or you are gust going around in circles with every one else.

That is why it important to have your eng checked out and set up even if it is new.

Only small attention to certain thing on the RS45 will produce big gains in power.

The design of the eng lends it self to great gains in power more than other designs.

David

Its still a CMB.....you can have em'

David

David

Its still a CMB.....you can have em'

The AA 45 motor is NOT an exact replica of the Mac 45. Subtle changes like case volume, porting is a little different, material is a little different, fit of parts is a little better.

In my humble opinion, the AA is a better, stronger motor then the MAC was in stock vs stock form. It is also easier on the fuel mileage.

Now parts will fit a Mac as replacements, but Al Hobbs would have to confirm if its a part for part replacement. I know the connecting rod on a Mac has needle bearings on the lower end but the AA has a bushing.

I have broke cranks, rods, carb arms and even had a case that wasn't milled squared from face to face on a Mac but not a single issue yet on my AA 45. Put at least three gallons thru in 2010. I tried both rotor configurations in the same boat and could not tell a difference in motor at low end or top end. Did replace bearings that had a little tick in it.

The AA .45 is a stud in stock form. I don't think it needs to be tweaked to be at the top of the game. Prop, pipe and a few other things make bigger gains for a consistent heat racer. Again just my humble opinion.

Robert

I thought the 45RS had already been discontinued ?
The .45 RS is CMB's Zimmerman valve induction model, and is still in current production. The .45 HR Drum valve induction engine was replaced by the VAC.
Thanks for replying - though I was previously told the opposite - about production of the RS that is. As far as I understood it, that was the reason that the VAC is offered in direct or geared configuration. I guess I may have misheard or misunderstood..........

CMB stopped production of the 45RS in May last year.

Only the 45 VAC are made now.

Kim J

Hey, here's a thought....does cmb come on the forums? Can you suggest improvements to anyone from cmb? I'm not talking distributors either. At least with Al Hobbs and the AA engines you can get answers and give suggestions on the product.

It's a win-win situation.

Kim J

Thanks for the correction. I was not aware they were no longer in production...Usually when CMB makes a major change or drops a model, the vendors drop the prices to clear their inventory of the discontinued models. That happened with the HR's when the VAC's were announced.I must have missed the fire sale on the RS's. :(

Kim J

Thanks for the correction. I was not aware they were no longer in production...Usually when CMB makes a major change or drops a model, the vendors drop the prices to clear their inventory of the discontinued models. That happened with the HR's when the VAC's were announced.I must have missed the fire sale on the RS's. :(
There was no fire sale that I know of.... CMB just kept the prices the same...Not only that, the 45rs is in stock at Hobby supplies in Australia... Go here... http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/CMB%20Engines.HTM

Kim J

There was no fire sale that I know of.... CMB just kept the prices the same...Not only that, the 45rs is in stock at Hobby supplies in Australia... Go here... http://www.hobbysupp...B%20Engines.HTM
Their website is why I assumed the RS was still a current model. look at their price difference between the .21evo rsv, and .45HR and the prices of the .21 and .45 VAC.

I have never dealt with that outfit, only been to their site to look at the picture of the engines. My CMB purchases have always been with Stu Barr here in the U.S. or one of his dealers.

Here is some info I got from Ian Folkson - UK CMB dealer - less than a week ago:

Mauro has told me also this afternoon there are some RS45 motors complete now using some of the spares so there are some available but no more will be built once they are gone.

Kim J

The A/A 67 and 84 engines will have piston/sleeve assemblies and other parts that will fit the MAC engines. So far, the people that have put A/A 45 piston/sleeve assemblies in their old MAC 45 engines have been happy with the results.

In the future, if there is a design change to improve any A/A parts, those new parts will fit the original A/A engines.

To me this just makes good sense. Like a lot of people, I have drawers filled with old engines and parts.

The A/A 67 and 84 engines will have drum rotors because drum rotors make it easier for new boaters.

Like a lot of people I ran OPS and Picco engines with discs and Zimmerman valves. They are efficient and less expensive to manufacture. But, to a new boater they can be difficult.

I think it is great that there is a selection of engines available to run insted of just one brand. There is a choice of radios. There is a choice of hulls. There is a choice of propellers. Choices lead to improved quality and better prices. And, in the end it should help us attract new people to our hobby.

You may not agree with my opinions, but at least you know what I'm thinking.

Al Hobbs

Back