40" Youngblood rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky

Does anyone have any experiance with a youngblood rigger. The tub is 40 inches long. I will be triing to run a CMB 1.00 cube in it. I have some guys saying that this hull design was prone to either spinning out and even nose diving into the corner. I am a newbie and just wondered if anyone has any set-up notes from this older hull. Take a look at the pictures and any info would be a big help.

Thanks

Rocky

youngblood_boat_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocky;

i used to run these boats quite a while back when Jim Youngblood was makeing them for Tidewater.

first thing is find out how far the sponsons slide into the main boom tubes.

then take teh left one out and re-install it aprox. 5/8" into the boom tube and tape it into position.

next make and punch 2 dots on each of the main boom tubes so that the marks (when you drill and tap for 8-32 socket head bolts) will be located to include the portion of the sponson tubes you slid into position. make sure this side is parallel to the tub.

drill and tap 2 each 8-32 holes into each sponsontube and secure in place with said bolts.

the same will go for the right side (turn fin side) sponson EXCEPT push the turn fin sponson an additional 1/4" FURTHER into the main boom tubes and then repeat as you did with the first sponson.

that takes care of the sponsons.

on to the strut:

set the boat on a flat table WITH OUT the turn fin attached.

install you strut (speedmaster if you have one, if not , and you have an original Tidewater strut, that will be fine also.)

set the strut heighth so that the rear sponsons are about 1/16 to 1/8" ABOVE the surface of the table top. (this is a starting point.)

now angle the strut DOWN (negetive angle) aprox. 1 degree. (you can take a piece of 1/32" ply and have the NOSE of the strut set on it while the back of the strut is on the table. (this is also a starting point.)

as for prop choice that will depend and the fuel and pipe you will be using. a ball park starting prop would probably be an Octura 1667 sharpened and balanced of course.

as far as doing wierd things is the turns and such, i never had any problems in that department. mine always tracked straight and hugged the bouys and handled rough water with no problems.

good luck and i know you will be please with the old girl.

carl

Rocky;
i used to run these boats quite a while back when Jim Youngblood was makeing them for Tidewater.

first thing is find out how far the sponsons slide into the main boom tubes.

then take teh left one out and re-install it aprox. 5/8" into the boom tube and tape it into position.

next make and punch 2 dots on each of the main boom tubes so that the marks (when you drill and tap for 8-32 socket head bolts) will be located to include the portion of the sponson tubes you slid into position. make sure this side is parallel to the tub.

drill and tap 2 each 8-32 holes into each sponsontube and secure in place with said bolts.

the same will go for the right side (turn fin side) sponson EXCEPT push the turn fin sponson an additional 1/4" FURTHER into the main boom tubes and then repeat as you did with the first sponson.

that takes care of the sponsons.

on to the strut:

set the boat on a flat table WITH OUT the turn fin attached.

install you strut (speedmaster if you have one, if not , and you have an original Tidewater strut, that will be fine also.)

set the strut heighth so that the rear sponsons are about 1/16 to 1/8" ABOVE the surface of the table top. (this is a starting point.)

now angle the strut DOWN (negetive angle) aprox. 1 degree. (you can take a piece of 1/32" ply and have the NOSE of the strut set on it while the back of the strut is on the table. (this is also a starting point.)

as for prop choice that will depend and the fuel and pipe you will be using. a ball park starting prop would probably be an Octura 1667 sharpened and balanced of course.

as far as doing wierd things is the turns and such, i never had any problems in that department. mine always tracked straight and hugged the bouys and handled rough water with no problems.

good luck and i know you will be please with the old girl.

carl
I would agree with Carl on this. Boat still look good for as old as it is.

Rocky;

no problem buddy.

glad i could be of service.

let me know how it's going.

carl

Seal up the radio box area and check for leaks in a tub they were known to leak around the tub seams.
Hey Carl I saw Rocky last nite... thanks for helping him,i told him a OOOOOOOOOLD FART like you could fix him up........btw i do work just slowly lol

Hey mikey;

glad to have helped him out. spent about an hour on the phone with him Sun. night.

gave him some good tips on the valvola he is getting ready to run as well.

that youngblood hull with the CMB in it should go like a rocket.

hope everyones doing great out there in evansville area.

building another new 20 rigger right now. ( got 2 others (daughter comendeered the fastest one))

have a great one

carl

Back