4 cell riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

has anyone on the board built a 4 cell rigger? i'm toying with the idea as i built a 4 cell cat and need something else to build.

has anyone on the board built a 4 cell rigger? i'm toying with the idea as i built a 4 cell cat and need something else to build.
Four cell riggers with brushed 05 motors were somewhat popular a few years back and were raced on a regular basis in some clubs.

Could still be an interesting class with brushless, if an ESC is available that will handle the low voltage..

Last edited by a moderator:
hey patrick, any idea on dimensions of the boats they were running? i'm gonna build a balsa center section with foam sponsons. powered with a 10 double and mini radio gear. just something to mess around with in a pond close to home.

I ran 4 cells in a 22" Key West and it worked great. Ditto the 18" XL Cat from RCBM plans. My 22" Bandit Pistolero ran very well on 4 cells. My last SAW rigger is about 21" long.

Last SAWs I raced an M2 Hydro (4cells brushed motor),

my boat is 20" tub, 22" with sponsons.

I ran a 6double direct drive with great results (see avatar).

I believe it was with a Pat McDonald prop 734 on IB4200

it is a fun boat but it has it's days counted since ROAR will/is

using a Novak brushless motor.

it is a fun boat but it has it's days counted since ROAR will/isusing a Novak brushless motor.
Jan-

To the best of my knowledge, the M2 motor specification has not changed.... It is the only NAMBA 05 brushed rule that does not cite a ROAR motor specification, so the ROAR stock and 19 turn motor rule changes will not affect the class. The M2 rule specifies 05 brushed motors, any endbell and ferrite magnets... IMPBA rules do allow brushless motors... let's hear it for the dinosaurs! B)

any prop recommendations? i gonna power it with a 10 double trinity cobalt with wire drive with a 1/8 th" stub shaft.

I'm running 4-cell brushless rigger ALL DAY at 60+mph to be Quite honest with you..

There are PLENTY of ESC's and motor combos that will do it brush or brushless ALL DAY

Novak GTB is one, LRP, Tekin, any car bl system of today will do it..

A shame 4-cell isn't run much.. Its beceause of people on these boards who shun car equipment and haven't even tried it..

People think rc hydros.com has the only 4-cell brushed speedo that won't melt down in a boat -NOT!

any prop recommendations? i gonna power it with a 10 double trinity cobalt with wire drive with a 1/8 th" stub shaft.
I'd start with like an x432 to be safe.. If that's too cold, go to a x435

It should be able to swing a 435

Typically, you want to run a lower turn motor to really blast, but a 10 is a wonderful wind for sport

Pat M and Jay Turner are the KINGS of 4-cell..

Jay's record is at LEAST 5-6 years standing.. I've tried at like 3 times to take it down with no success, and that's with today's equipment!!

Thanks for clarifying Pat... I was convinced that the class with an 05 brushed can was dead...

it is a fun boat but it has it's days counted since ROAR will/isusing a Novak brushless motor.
Jan-

To the best of my knowledge, the M2 motor specification has not changed.... It is the only NAMBA 05 brushed rule that does not cite a ROAR motor specification, so the ROAR stock and 19 turn motor rule changes will not affect the class. The M2 rule specifies 05 brushed motors, any endbell and ferrite magnets... IMPBA rules do allow brushless motors... let's hear it for the dinosaurs! B)

Bill,

not to take anything away from Jay,

Pat is the record holder.

Those 2 guys are REALLY the kings of 4 cell brushed motors.

Jay's record is at LEAST 5-6 years standing.. I've tried at like 3 times to take it down with no success, and that's with today's equipment!!

Bill,not to take anything away from Jay,

Not to blow anyone else's horn, but Jay holds the 4-cell mono record from since before I've even been to the LA SAWS, and that was 5 years ago (when I got my first record)

http://www.namba.com/content/records.asp?EventType=11 Don't believe me?

And the record has stood since 2001 which makes it 7 years old, and the second oldest SAWS record on NAMBA's books, and actually the second oldest electric straightline record

in the US..

Do you know who holds the most SAWS records in America? -ME Bill Wilmer Oxidean team BBY

Its possible Pat's record will never be beaten.. The boat was insane, I wish Pat would post a pic so you could see it..

I watched 80 percent of the saws records on the books broken in person :D No horn tooting, just stating pure facts, and stieffelling the very start of my being discredited..

Hey Bill what about Ed Hughey he has held an awful lot of SAW FE records?

Bill,not to take anything away from Jay,

Not to blow anyone else's horn, but Jay holds the 4-cell mono record from since before I've even been to the LA SAWS, and that was 5 years ago (when I got my first record)

<a href="http://www.namba.com/content/records.asp?EventType=11" target="_blank">http://www.namba.com/content/records.asp?EventType=11</a> Don't believe me?

And the record has stood since 2001 which makes it 7 years old, and the second oldest SAWS record on NAMBA's books, and actually the second oldest electric straightline record

in the US..

Do you know who holds the most SAWS records in America? -ME Bill Wilmer Oxidean team BBY

Its possible Pat's record will never be beaten.. The boat was insane, I wish Pat would post a pic so you could see it..

I watched 80 percent of the saws records on the books broken in person :D No horn tooting, just stating pure facts, and stieffelling the very start of my being discredited..

Well, for the record, in NAMBA you are tied with Brother Brian Buaas at 5 and 5.

In IMPBA Chris Harris holds 6 SAWS records as does Paul Pachmayer. Brian only has 2 IMPBA records and you have 5. So I guess if you add IMPBA and NAMBA together you are right. But I think that is only fair to do if they were different boats and/or classes.

Not trying to take anything away from you Wilmer, just trying to be accurate.

Well, for the record, in NAMBA you are tied with Brother Brian Buaas at 5 and 5.

In IMPBA Chris Harris holds 6 SAWS records as does Paul Pachmayer. Brian only has 2 IMPBA records and you have 5. So I guess if you add IMPBA and NAMBA together you are right. But I think that is only fair to do if they were different boats and/or classes.

IMHO, if the records were done with the same boat and or class @ different events then why not count them for the US total?

Hey Bill what about Ed Hughey he has held an awful lot of SAW FE records?

Yes, I believe Ed hughey at one time held more SAWS records than any one person has EVER held..

I've studied these things quite well as most of the records I've broken in IMPBA were his..

No invalidation of the great Ed Hughey though..

Ed hughey has also broken more records at one event than anyone on the books to date..

My personal best is 7-records in 2-days..

I think Hughey still holds the most 2-lap records in IMPBA..

I hold the most 2-lap in NAMBA (until Brian goes down there and cleans up)

Bill, none of my records are the same in both sanctions, and only 2 of the records were done with the same boat..

I CURRENTLY hold records with cats, monos, sport hydros, riggers, even Eco and that's more than can be said about ANY saws record holder on the books, so I don't think its a question

of me using the same boat all my life, or running the same classes.. :D

The truth is what it is.. Bill Oxidean holds the most records in the U.S, AND in the widest range of hull types.. :D

Gosh, I don't get anything out of saying that..

I don't by any means claim to be the best.. Brian, Paul, Chris as well as others are phenominal drivers and builders who put on an impressive display at these events as well...

No worries. I was looking at them as separate. I can see how it also makes sense to view them together. Either way, an amazing number of records. When you look at it the majority of the records are held by a very small group of dedicated racers. Impressive.

No worries. I was looking at them as separate. I can see how it also makes sense to view them together. Either way, an amazing number of records. When you look at it the majority of the records are held by a very small group of dedicated racers. Impressive.
Looks like YOU broke into the brotherhood of speed with your 2 records first saws? a guy is lucky to break one his first time..

2 records your first SAWS is a notable feat in my book..

Back