3m #5 Clear Electrical Tape

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Williamson

Trying to find the 3M catalog number for the #5 Electrical Tape, which most love to use for radio box tape. Does anyone know the 3M catalog number for this #5 Clear Electrical Tape?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks!

Rw

P.S. Not able to find/indentify on the 3M website.......

A few guys at Jim's Dock specified a number but it did come up on 3M's site either. I think this is one of the best kept secrets.

I recall about 6 months ago that a similar discussion was on this site. Someone came up with the number or specs of the tape to be used for ordering. Not a clue where to find it though.

I recall about 6 months ago that a similar discussion was on this site. Someone came up with the number or specs of the tape to be used for ordering. Not a clue where to find it though.
Russ give Bob Kernodle a call he has ordered it before ,tell him I sent you....Mike his cell number is 615-351-7696

Trying to find the 3M catalog number for the #5 Electrical Tape, which most love to use for radio box tape. Does anyone know the 3M catalog number for this #5 Clear Electrical Tape?

Thanks!

Rw

Russ, I have info on that tape straight from the 3M site and 5 is the PN for it. It is 1mil clear polyester film, oil resistant, transparent.

Mikey the stuff Bob K gets is from Mr Bill. I think Russ is looking for the wholesale source.

Ron

Last edited:
It seems like this comes up year after year. I think what you are going to find is that no one is getting rich selling the tape at the current prices. It is a $10.00 part that lasts most guys at least a year, and as such I would not put too much time in trying to find it cheaper. It is a very specialized product that is not cheap but works well. You may find a different tape cheaper, but not the exact tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had checked the price and in order to get a decent price you had to order about 500 rolls Mark Bullard is about the only one I know that has a real good source for the tape.

His contact information is on the IMPBA web page for District Five Director.

Thanks!

Rw

Russ,

There is no secret on the tape. The only problem is it is very hard to get from 3M. This tape is made by 3M for the electric motor industry. It is sold by only few companys that supply this industry. And they buy all that 3M makes from them. I can sell the tape in ten roll lots or more for $8.00 per roll and I do not make any money on it. I guess it more of a service then anything. I have been bring a case of tape to the Internats and selling it for $8.00 per roll while the supply lasts. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Mark Bullard

It seems like this comes up year after year. I think what you are going to find is that no one is getting rich selling the tape at the current prices. It is a $10.00 part that lasts most guys at least a year, and as such I would not put too much time in trying to find it cheaper. It is a very specialized product that is not cheap but works well. You may find a different tape cheaper, but not the exact tape.
It is not about the money but making it available to the market. To get the exact tape, it will take getting the 3M catalog number.

Rw

A few guys at Jim's Dock specified a number but it did come up on 3M's site either. I think this is one of the best kept secrets.
Sometimes people think the number on the inside of the roll dispenser is the catalog number, which is not always the case. Many times this is the number for the plastic dispenser.

Hey Guys,

Have any of you tried Renfrew hocky tape? It's clear and sticks great, leaves no residue. This is the only tape I use to seal up my FE boats if that gives you an idea. The stuff is cheap to, couple bucks a roll.

Paul.

RCBoatParts.com has some really nice tape 3/4" wide in a big roll for $10.

Wal-Mart sells some excellent tape this time of year as weatherstrip sealing tape in the paint department with the window winterizing film products. Some is 2" wide and has to be cut down to work, some is 3/4" already. Real good prices. I cut the 2" roll in half on the bandsaw. Runs about $2 a roll that way.

when i worked at fastenal several years ago i went to a trade show in december. I took a roll of the tape up to the 3 m booth. I asked the guy WHAT IS THE CORRECT PART NUMBER FOR THIS.. I got people all over looking for this and nobody know's the exact number. He looked at me and said.. I have been here for a number or years and never seen this stuff LOL... What do you say to that.....

Guess it is as top secret as AREA 51....

chris

I've been using the weather sealing tape for a few years now. It's not as thin as the 3M tape, it's more like Prather's. One local chain store, Meijer's, had it in a wide size but it had a crease to help it fit into the corner between the window and frame. I slit it right here and it's the perfect width for me and cheap too!

I tried some Hockey stick tape and it wasn't very good. It looked like it had sat in the store too long and went bad. The next time that I go to a Hockey game, I'll have to check in at the store inside the stadium.

I don't bout yall but 3M tape is the sick shiznit kids; maybe someone should ask Aeromarine where they get it from..My .O2 yen :ph34r:

More on 3M...

My Father worked for a paper products distributor for 30 years. They were a 3M dealer, but............

3m makes sooooo many different kinds of tape that a catalog of their full line would be the size of a city phone book. so they split up distribution. At least that's how they did it 10 years ago..........

Dad's place could only deal in the tape products that have to do with packaging and box sealing. I painted cars for a while and tried to get automotive masking tape thru dad...... couldn't do it. There is a type of masking tape used it packaging, but you wouldn't want to use it to do auto paint work.........

So, if you are going to use the number I supplied, you will have to talk to a 3M dealer that deals in that line of product. I already checked with the company dad used to work for, they don't list it.

Good luck,

Bob the Fool :blink:

Russ,

Mark Bullard is in the Electric motor business and appears to be the best/only source.

So it seems that you should contact Mark and buy a case from him.

Unless you think he's really making 5 bucks a roll..........then keep on looking.

We happily buy our tape from Mark.

As a supplier for the NW area, I can tell you not going to get rich off this stuff. I do it to help my customers. The rolls are 180'. It will take nearly a year for a guy running 5 or 6 boats a race to go through one roll. A friend of mine who owns Beck Electric orders it for me. Russ, I can put you in touch with him.

MIke

As a club we bought a case last year, if you need some let me know, I think we still have a few rolls left.

Here is a company to get it

Superior Essex

1-800-802-4636

Back