3D Props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case the blades are likely flexing even a small amount, but this causes the tail to lift. Once the tail blows the RPM's skyrocket and the blades break upon the shock of reentering the water. We are hardening the props I run, but it is a fine line between some ductility and too hard. We have snapped several blades just from the available torque.

TG

That is why I wondered if you plan for the flex will this stop the blow out and the breakage from the unloading?

Hi,

This razorblade sharp and thin blade my be good for ic engine . A 60 size motor rev up to 26000 rpm by a super tuner and power is 4 - 5 kw . Todays elektric motors delifer in the size of 300 - 400 gramm power up to 10 kw and rev 28000 - 30000 rpm. Thats a lot moore torque that the propeller has to withstand and such thini propellersblades will be wrap around the shaft. This was the reason we go the other way and design the strong blade and force the waterflow to leaf the backside blade by grinding the chamber-bevel at the leading edge. This prop will not bend and will not change the riding level of the boat by bending.

The boat running this props surge less power and reach a higher topspeed. All wish come true .

image.jpg

David,

Your thought might work, but as the prop unloads when the rigger reaches speed I would be worried the more relaxed state would upset the ride attitude. I was digging through some pics last night and came across this great shop of my X hydro SAW rigger lifting through a pass. This was not a result of prop flexing just not enough tail weight.

TG

Blowing the tail.jpg

Great looking pipe!

Got one on my 1.01
default_biggrin.png

That is standing on the tips.
default_wacko.png

It would take lots of testing to get it right. But I think it would pay off.

David,

Your thought might work, but as the prop unloads when the rigger reaches speed I would be worried the more relaxed state would upset the ride attitude. I was digging through some pics last night and came across this great shop of my X hydro SAW rigger lifting through a pass. This was not a result of prop flexing just not enough tail weight.

TG
Great photo

Hi,

This razorblade sharp and thin blade my be good for ic engine . A 60 size motor rev up to 26000 rpm by a super tuner and power is 4 - 5 kw . Todays elektric motors delifer in the size of 300 - 400 gramm power up to 10 kw and rev 28000 - 30000 rpm. Thats a lot moore torque that the propeller has to withstand and such thini propellersblades will be wrap around the shaft. This was the reason we go the other way and design the strong blade and force the waterflow to leaf the backside blade by grinding the chamber-bevel at the leading edge. This prop will not bend and will not change the riding level of the boat by bending.

The boat running this props surge less power and reach a higher topspeed. All wish come true .
Nice CNC work

My article on propeller geometry and the propeller machining fixture can be found in the latest Propwash. Let me know if there are any questions.

Lohring Miller

Thanks, Andy. You can't imagine how much of what I know came from you and inspecting your props.

Lohring Miller

My article on propeller geometry and the propeller machining fixture can be found in the latest Propwash. Let me know if there are any questions.

Lohring Miller
Lohring,

I enjoy 3-d design. I use Inventor mostly because I own a seat of it at home. After reading this thread, I can see where prop design is really going to get interesting. I enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for sharing.

-Carl

Commercial 3D printing coupled with dental investment casting was the method used to make Joerg's 140 mph prop. So far, consumer 3D printers don't look good enough without a lot of cleanup. Then you would need to do at least as much work on the final casting. Laser sintering might come closer, but to me, machining has the best chance of making a finished prop. That's already being done in aluminum. I don't see why higher strength materials like tool steels couldn't be used with proper support and careful heat treatment. However, dental appliances are now being commercially made by laser sintering in chrome cobalt alloys. I would think a prop could be made with the same equipment, but it would cost over $100.

Lohring Miller

Lohring how much you think guys pay for props now.

The last one I got from the prop shop was $100 to the door and that was a few years ago.

The guys at the pond drop $100 with out even thinking about it for a Chrome prop now.

There is a market.

Heck the last Octura prop I had Andy do was $75 and it was my prop.

You build it thy will buy it.

I'll check to see what the cost story is. I was quoted $80 for a chrome cobalt investment cast prop from a local lab. I just needed to supply the wax. The US dental lab industry is rapidly shifting toward computer controlled manufacturing. It's the only way they can compete with lower cost, skilled technicians in other countries. The advent of high strength ceramics like zirconium also looks interesting for engine parts. The size is limited, though.

Lohring Miller

Back