3D "mold" toolpath......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

I've got a 3D wireframe drawing in AutoCad that I need a toolpath generated from. I've got the machinery and an operator who is willing to set the part up, but I don't do CNC programming. It's an inside cavity, through the part, "square" on one end, round on the other and will have to be machined from both ends to get it all. I can E-Mail a .DXF file to whoever can do it for me. We have a "programmer" at the shop, but he's an idiot, with all these "suggestions" as to how I should go about it. I know how to go about it, I just need the toolpath in G-code. Are there any REALLY COOL ( :D ) CNC machinists or programmers who could help me out?

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,

I've got a 3D wireframe drawing in AutoCad that I need a toolpath generated from. I've got the machinery and an operator who is willing to set the part up, but I don't do CNC programming. It's an inside cavity, through the part, "square" on one end, round on the other and will have to be machined from both ends to get it all. I can E-Mail a .DXF file to whoever can do it for me. We have a "programmer" at the shop, but he's an idiot, with all these "suggestions" as to how I should go about it. I know how to go about it, I just need the toolpath in G-code. Are there any REALLY COOL ( :D ) CNC machinists or programmers who could help me out?

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad,

Check with Henry Nelson. He knows G-code like the alphabet, but is always pressed for time.

[email protected] or 1-724-538-5282

Jim :) :) :)

Brad,

Not sure if this helps, but there is some info here about converting .DXF to G-CODE and some more throughout that site.

Tim.

Brad,

Can you export /save as that as an .STL.. send it this way anyway and i will take a look at it.. for good 3D you are going to need an .STL..

Mike

Mike,

At work, we just import a .DXF into SurfCam (a CAD/CAM sorfware) and go from there. All is good with the software, I'm just a bit queesy about handing over a part I've got 50+ hours of close tolerance work in to a guy like we've got at the shop that does our programming. If it weren't for the fact that his dad is one of the owners, he'd have been gone before his 90 days was up.

I'll look into the .STL file tomorrow.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Mike,

At work, we just import a .DXF into SurfCam (a CAD/CAM sorfware) and go from there. All is good with the software, I'm just a bit queesy about handing over a part I've got 50+ hours of close tolerance work in to a guy like we've got at the shop that does our programming. If it weren't for the fact that his dad is one of the owners, he'd have been gone before his 90 days was up.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad, I'd be happy to help, but be warned, my software insists that dxf files are only 2D (I know better, but they read in looking like a sheet of paper). I may be able to filter it through another package though, so all is not lost. I'm pretty sure Acad won't export .stl or iges (my preference) without the additional ($option) modules. I've got a little extra time at work lately, so email me what you have and what cutters you'd like to work with. I'll also need to know what cnc control you have so I can flavor the postprocessor for it. My work email is [email protected] - send it there and I'll get ya fixed up...

Greg

Mike,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad, I'd be happy to help, but be warned, my software insists that dxf files are only 2D (I know better, but they read in looking like a sheet of paper). I may be able to filter it through another package though, so all is not lost. I'm pretty sure Acad won't export .stl or iges (my preference) without the additional ($option) modules. I've got a little extra time at work lately, so email me what you have and what cutters you'd like to work with. I'll also need to know what cnc control you have so I can flavor the postprocessor for it. My work email is [email protected] - send it there and I'll get ya fixed up...

Greg

in have a guy that can probably do it in solidworks

Brad,

I work in Soldworks, Inventor and Acad.. .. I do not have access to any high dollar g code generation programs and to tell you the truth doing surfacing you do not need it.. Tooling.. thats a different story.

Like i said send it over anyway and i can take a look..maybe.. machine it here in the shop..

Grim

Brad, If needed I can also Help with the 3D programing and can just do it for you. I am about 2 hours away from you. Thanks Doug/DPS Racing Hulls

Download a free version of Rhino www.rhino3d.com and convert to stl. A recent CNC should be able to cut directly from stl.

Brad

Sorry I'm just now replying, my computer room was just put back together after a 2-1/2 week

remodel! Now that the computer is pluged back in I'm back to normal. If you haven't already

gotten some help with this I might be able to. As you might rembember, I program CNC

machining centers for machining plastic injection molds (about ALL 3-D). I use Mastercam and can

convert a .DXF. Let me know if you still need help.

Mike Stutzman

Guys,

Mr. Greg Sheckler provided the toolpaths I need to complete the part. I haven't run them yet, but I'm just waiting for the open machine time. Thanks to all who offered to help and thanks to Greg for putting up with the little "add-ons" I asked for at the end.

BTW, some day I will get a user gallery up and running and get some pics of what is going on with this project.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Back