33RD ANNUAL THUNDER IN THE PARK RACE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmtboy2

Supporting Member
The Baltimore Model Boaters are once again proud to host the spring "THUNDER IN THE PARK" race. This will be our d12 points race and district season opener. We have now full use of the lake and will be racing from the LARGE end !!!!! Please see the attached flyer for more info and some electric classes have been added so if you have questions contact me on here . LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!!!!!

greenbrierspr11.doc

Attachments

• greenbrierspr11.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 64
Are you going to change entry form to include rule changes

Last edited by a moderator:
B Sport Tunnel points class, Open tunnel pts class, Open Hydro pts class,Open gas 35 cc HELLO is any body from that club going to speak up

Kudos to Tim and his club for improving the race site.

The record trails at lake X are the week before. If all looks good I will be there.

Hummmmm. Twins :)

Low budget

Bob

This is the second year we're running FE's in the district. It would be nice if the FE classes were included in the race flyer as Don requested so we can attract more people to attend the race. I've got two new potential district members who are planning on coming up to Greenbrier to watch us run.

B / P-Spec Outboard Tunnel - (combined nitro/FE class)

B / P-Spec Hydro- (combined nitro/FE class)

B / P- Mono - (combined nitro/FE class)

Open FE Hydro - 8S maximum (none points class)

Open FE Mono - 8S maximum (none points class)

District 12 FE rules can be found in the IMPBA Forum in the District 12 section. www.impba.net

:)

Sorry for the delayed reply,Moonlighter is correct on the added classes due to district changes. WE ARE ALSO OFFERING TWIN NITRO HYDRO AND TWIN GAS HYDRO so bring all your twins out for the season opener.

Man im going to miss D12 this year.. nothing really happening in D5 :(

julian

This is the second year we're running FE's in the district. It would be nice if the FE classes were included in the race flyer as Don requested so we can attract more people to attend the race. I've got two new potential district members who are planning on coming up to Greenbrier to watch us run.

B / P-Spec Outboard Tunnel - (combined nitro/FE class)

B / P-Spec Hydro- (combined nitro/FE class)

B / P- Mono - (combined nitro/FE class)

Open FE Hydro - 8S maximum (none points class)

Open FE Mono - 8S maximum (none points class)

District 12 FE rules can be found in the IMPBA Forum in the District 12 section. www.impba.net

:)
I think most clubs would run almost any class if the minimum amount of boats were entered. Here in district 12 there is talk of combining D, E & F mono just to have enough boats to make a heat possible. I personally think we have way too many classes. It getting hard to get in 4 rounds in a weekend with all the 3 boat classes. Often I see heats with just one of the boats left running. Boring!!!!! Every year I evaluate which class's seems like the most popular and they are the boats I run the following year. It seem that I always run in 6 to 8 boat heats. Definitely more boat attrition but also more competition. When you win a heat, you really feel like you accomplished something.

I'm not knocking the addition of FE, but you all need to show up with more numbers or change to a more popular class. Just putting it in the flyer doesn't magically create more FE boaters wanting to race!

I just got this off the cover page of the latest Roostertail:

Orlando Winternationals Has Huge Turnout!

The well run event on January 27th - 30th was very impressive this year with massive entries in several very popular classes. The largest class was 55 entries in LSG 27-36 Mono, and 48 boats entered in LSG 27-36 Sport Hydro & the same number in GAS Cat. That’s over 150 boats in only 3 classes. Even Open Offshore pulled in 32 boats.

Now that is competition!!!!

Blaise,the issue here is two fold. First one is the nitro hydro classes have been on a steady decline due to people getting into other classes or out of the hobby altogether. Second point is the clubs are hesitant to combine anything because they would rather have 2 boat heats that are paying entry fees than someone leaving it at home because they combined classes. This economy this is really hitting us and forcing clubs to change the way we do things to the point that we have to treat each event like a business to maximize the most amount of money for entries as possible just to stay afloat. Clubs should be beating the bushes to get those who have nitro hydro boats back out to the races.

No offense taken Blaise. Attendence was down at most district races last year and my Capitol Club lost money at our district race. FE boats are the fastest growing segment of our hobby. If a FE enthusiast logs on to the District 12 web site wanting to join a club and see's no FE classes being offered at any of the district races, they will say to themselves "oh well" and and move on. I know that because I was one of those guys two years ago. Last year I asked the district to either advertise a few FE classes on the district flyers or let us run a few combined classes. The district was gracious enough to let us do a few combined classes. Because of this we brought eight new members into the district last year and it looks like we are going to get a few more this year. Now many of them only showed up at only one or two events last year but they were just starting out. Now many of them are doing multiple builds for the upcoming season. I don't think you can argue that bringing new members into the IMPBA and district is a bad thing. Especially in this economy.

I don't want to see nitro classes go away and I have the greatest respect for nitro racers. More so than FE and Gas racers. There is no doubt that the district is going through a slight transition. Obviously I wasnt around when the gas boats came around I suppose there were some growing pains when they came on the scene as well. I'm confident we'll find some balance and everything will work out so that the needs of all the districts members will be served. :)

Blaise,the issue here is two fold. First one is the nitro hydro classes have been on a steady decline due to people getting into other classes or out of the hobby altogether. Second point is the clubs are hesitant to combine anything because they would rather have 2 boat heats that are paying entry fees than someone leaving it at home because they combined classes. This economy this is really hitting us and forcing clubs to change the way we do things to the point that we have to treat each event like a business to maximize the most amount of money for entries as possible just to stay afloat. Clubs should be beating the bushes to get those who have nitro hydro boats back out to the races.
good point, charles. but scheduling a district POINTS race on the same weekend as a NATIONAL event (wtc) kinda defeats this, imho. not pointed directly at you, but rather ALL the brainiacs that voted for it <_< ..........i for one am a die hard nitro supporter, & am adding classes this year, didn't appreciate being scheduled out of a points race. yes, i'm the one making the decision as to which race to attend, but the wtc flyer has been out for 3-4 months, entries & motels paid for months ago. i only had 1 months warning on our d-12 schedule, still don't see all of it posted, need to make plans/decisions & schedule time off from work.

if i can get off work i will be in for 21 tunnel and rtr stock do u still have class for rtr

William, the district is runing B/P-Spec Tunnel, B-Stock Tunnel and RTR. All three are points classes.

Charles,

Did you ever find out if there is going to be a fee to get into the park each day. I am trying to finalize my budget for this race. Trying to decide where i will be spending money.

Will there be raffle prizes, food, etc?

Also, did the race site get moved to a different area of the park or are we still going to be on the break-neck hill?

Thanks

Don

Charles,

Did you ever find out if there is going to be a fee to get into the park each day. I am trying to finalize my budget for this race. Trying to decide where i will be spending money.

Will there be raffle prizes, food, etc?

Also, did the race site get moved to a different area of the park or are we still going to be on the break-neck hill?

Thanks

Don
I was waiting for the Balt. club to post it but since you asked....

As of April 6th the park rescinded allowing the use of the large end of the lake so yes it's back to the small end and the hill. Tim Clark has assured me they will be taking extra steps to insure good footing until the park makes permanent changes for them in July.

Charles, after your post "entries are flowing in daily, at this rate we will have alot of classes full" some folks p/m'd me asking me what classes are full and I can't answer that. How about posting the entries here for those who are asking, I'm sure they would appreciate that. :)

To those who are commenting about combining classes.......

The classes getting combined are a direct result of consistently failing to make the class minimums. Just ONE RACE was able to field all the nitro hydro classes last year at those minimums (that we keep reducing each year BTW) and that was only because of participation from racers OUTSIDE of D12 who attended that event. Contrary to what Charles posted boats were LEFT HOME because classes did not make and we saw the same thing happen in '09. Until we created Open Nitro Mono a few years ago we had numerous races with NO nitro monos over B class whatsoever and even that class has been weak the last couple seasons until we mixed in the P mono electrics last year (same for B hydro). Yup, two boat heats SUCK and I'm really tired of listening to people ***** about it at the races. Interesting how last season I talked to D12 members who run in the nitro hydro classes about combining them to get the boat count back up and nobody had a problem with it. Now all of a sudden it's an issue yet it's coming from people who don't even run in those classes. :blink:

Robin-

For your information the spring dates have been Baltimore dates for many years (arranged long ago with the park authority) even though recently they have been non points "fun run" events. The WTC dates have been changed numerous times in the last few years due to weather concerns and quite frankly not our problem (please do a little research before making such comments). Sorry if this doesn't suit you but the "brainiacs" need to cater to the majority of D12 members rather than a couple people who might choose to race outside the district. :rolleyes:

I will not be able to attend due to that weekend originally not having a points race scheduled so I told my #2 guy at work those dates were open and he and family will be in Barbados. The powers that be are uncomfortable with leaving the entire facility in the hands of just the #3 guy so I will be working that Friday, good luck to all who attend. B)

the wtc date has been changed 1 time, 3 years ago. they moved it from end of march to the end of april. no research needed, i've been to the last 4! plus, quite a few of the racers from outside d-12 that helped hydro classes fill were from c-town. they support our races when they can (greensboro & chesapeake)............making it a points event is what got me. then delmarva doesn't have a room or campsite within 50 miles, seems some other events going on that weekend. didn't we have that race a week later in years past just to avoid this?

I'm not taking sides guys and I dont want to stick my hand in the hornets nest, but just a few observations. It's been a doinked up spring this year and thats nobody's fault. We've had problems at two district race sites that as far as I know are still in the process of being resolved. The winter meeting and release of the district race schedule was held later than usual because of this. We have had other things happen outside the district affect our race schedule this year also. Sping Nat's were postponed a month and I assume thats the reason the Carolina Showdown was pushed back a week (I was planning to attend that race but because of the change, I cannot). The Delmarva club also pushed thier race back a week. So that makes three out of five races were moved this year. In addition to all this, the weather has been lousy on the weekends for the last two months and very few have had time to test n tune.

So the bottom line is it's been a crazy spring but we'll get through it. Hopefully all the pond situtaions will be resolved this year resulting in less problems in the future. I'll attend as many district races as I can cuz I like hangin with you knuckleheads.

I'll shut my pie hole now. :p

Back