32" Wild Thing FE Conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Well... Time to build a P-Mono...

I've begun modifying this 32" wooden Wild Thing that I purchased on E-Bay. It's made of fairly rigid ply, and was destined to be a Nitro boat before I rescued it...

I did some trimming to the radio box to open things up and have the motor now mounted... When I get a proper hatch for it..., I'll trim the opening out to a shape appropiate for the hatch...

Next step is going to be to drill up the transom to mount the hardware so I can locate the stuffing tube assembly, which is going to be a flooded shaft variety, leading to a SpeedMaster Stinger setup...

More to come...

Wild_Thing_32_001.jpg

Wild_Thing_32_002.jpg

Wild_Thing_32_003.jpg

Wild_Thing_32_004.jpg

RESCUED IT?????? it's now damed to a life of no nitro!!! just kidding really. I would like to run a little electric rigger if I could afford to get started..

What motor/esc are you going to run, back shot looks like my 1515/1y, But iv never seen that type of motor mount, would you share where you got it from?

I had those motor mounts EDM'd by a friend because there wasn't anything available at the time. Darin got one of 5 pairs. Paul at www.fastelectricrc.com has a more refined production version with an integral ESC mount.

I had a wildthing .12 in fiberglass. One of just a couple made I think. It was super fun to run.. I mis that boat more than any of the other boats I've sold...

...what's the status Darin?I wanna see this thing.
WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE!! I haven't had time to touch it since the last posts... but I will get back on it shortly...

It's going to end up being a little heavy, and I don't have a hatch figured out for it yet...

Meanwhile, I have a nice Maus Bullet 21 (32") that has everything there to make a great FE boat... I'm just concerned on it that it'll have too much lift for the speeds we'll be going... The strakes go quite a ways back... I can change that, but it's just more time... I suppose the price you pay for trying something different (other than a Delta Force Hull, in other words... ;) )

WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE!! I haven't had time to touch it since the last posts... but I will get back on it shortly...
It's going to end up being a little heavy, and I don't have a hatch figured out for it yet...

Meanwhile, I have a nice Maus Bullet 21 (32") that has everything there to make a great FE boat... I'm just concerned on it that it'll have too much lift for the speeds we'll be going... The strakes go quite a ways back... I can change that, but it's just more time... I suppose the price you pay for trying something different (other than a Delta Force Hull, in other words... ;) )
...that's why I'm going with the Triton. I like seeing several different hulls racing against eachother...besides, we'll see plenty of hull redundancy in SpecSV and OPC.

I'm way behind too. Only 2 boats out of 5 are ready. Doesn't look like the TS2 will take much to get ready thankfully. B)

Well... I've sold my Maus Bullet 21 and my 35.4" Delta Force... so the Wild Thing will be getting the nod for P-Mono Duties officially now... no turning back!

I'll be getting back to work on it shortly... more to come...

Update!! I've been working very hard to get this boat ready for the 2008 FE Nats next month... Here are some pics of the progress... Should have the hardware bolted on by Friday and hopefully have it on the water for our races on Saturday...

Fitting the Hatch cover:

WildThing_32_002.jpg

WildThing_32_005.jpg

WildThing_32_007.jpg

WildThing_32_008.jpg

Adding the Spray Rails:

WildThing_32_SprayRails_001.jpg

WildThing_32_SprayRails_002.jpg

WildThing_32_SprayRails_003.jpg

WildThing_32_SprayRails_007.jpg

I decided to add some strakes:

WildThing_32_Strakes_001.jpg

WildThing_32_Strakes_002.jpg

WildThing_32_Strakes_004.jpg

And here is the final paint and finish work:

WildThing_32_Paint_2001.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_2002.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_2003.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_2004.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_2005.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the hardware and support systems installed by Friday for some fun and testing on Saturday!!

I'll post the final pics of the completed boat as soon as I get it completed...

Darin,

The boat look's great. I can't wait to hear how well it runs. My brother is building two Wild Things. One for each of us. I am going to put an SV27 motor in it for our LSO spec class. I also bought a NEU 1515 2.5D to run it in P Offshore. :rolleyes:

Jay

Darin,
The boat look's great. I can't wait to hear how well it runs. My brother is building two Wild Things. One for each of us. I am going to put an SV27 motor in it for our LSO spec class. I also bought a NEU 1515 2.5D to run it in P Offshore. :rolleyes:

Jay
What size is he building?? This one would be too heavy, I think, for an SV27 system to work well... The hull is a tank... I'm powering this for P-Mono/P-Offshore using a Neu 1521 1.5D (1860KV) on 4S2P 4500 mAh Elites... I'll just prop down for Offshore (hopefully that'll work...)...

I'm hoping to eventually get a 27" version of one of these to do for N2... B)

I'll let you know how the performance is... Should be fast... just not sure about the handling yet...

OK Guys... Got it all assembled... Just have to plug in the RX tomorrow and then do all the final initial adjustments to everything...

With it sitting just like you see it here, it balances at 9.5" from the transom... Just shy of 30%... I can move the packs forward at least an inch, which moves the CG the same amount... One of the nice things about centering the heavy stuff about on the CG! ;)

As long as things don't go up in smoke tomorrow evening on the bench, she'll get wet on Saturday!

WildThing_32_Paint_3001.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_3002.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_3003.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_3004.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_3005.jpg

WildThing_32_Paint_3006.jpg

Up In Smoke?

It has a castle in it so it is very likely ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

As for the build, it looks awsome mate! Well done! You do some nice work... you also seem to have new boats every month or so which give you a chance to refine setups :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back