30 Tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

Jerry Wyse ran his Lynx powered by an OS 30 engine on a Thunder Tiger lower unit today. What a boat! I bet it's as fast as most 7.5 mod boats on smooth water. It sure stomped the other stock and mod tunnels in our club.

Lohring Miller

The scary thing is this motor is still completely STOCK internally - and buggy engines are low timed!

Thanks for the report Lohring - I've been talking with Jerry about this boat - but it's always nice to hear feedback from an unbiased source! Did he still have the custom SPP pipe on it?

Awesome! Good to hear Old Wyss meister got another killer motor done, imagine that! I got mine together Jerry today, and it ran great. Thanks man once again. Good to hear this motor rocks also! Jerry sure has a talent for motor building, what a good fellar to boot!

The scary thing is this motor is still completely STOCK internally - and buggy engines are low timed!

Did he still have the custom SPP pipe on it?

You Dam Skippy! oh, maybe thats not a good thing to say to an Australian :lol: sorry Tim :rolleyes:

That pipe was a Dead On Center Shot, Well Done Gentlemen!!! now if we can just get it to run

LIKE IT REALLY CAN! HaHaHa

Awesome! Good to hear Old Wyss meister got another killer motor done, imagine that! I got mine together Jerry today, and it ran great. Thanks man once again. Good to hear this motor rocks also! Jerry sure has a talent for motor building, what a good fellar to boot!
Thank's for the kind words Rodney :D ,, I think that TT set-up you have now will serve you well

and not self destruct so easily,,, just flood "everthing" with after-run between runnings and it will be alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did he still have the custom SPP pipe on it?

You Dam Skippy! oh, maybe thats not a good thing to say to an Australian :lol: sorry Tim :rolleyes:

That pipe was a Dead On Center Shot, Well Done Gentlemen!!! now if we can just get it to run

LIKE IT REALLY CAN! HaHaHa

Thank's for the kind words Rodney :D ,, I think that TT set-up you have now will serve you well

and not self destruct so easily,,, just flood "everthing" with after-run between runnings and it will be alright.
Jerry, I soak each motor at the end of the day in a huge bowl of transmission fluid. Its in there now, that way it is completelly submerged, just the way i like to do things. Ran it today with my quiet pipe and it ran great. Gonna try and raise the motor just a tad to try and keep the rpm's up abit more through the corner, then it is ready to rock for mendota!

Nice to hear good news... congrats on the engine Jerry....

So you're still running it stock.... things are going to get scarey if you start modding it... hehehhe

Who wants to be scared?

Make em fly Jerry...

Javier

Did the gear in the lower stay put JW?

Yes Tim, all that stuff we talked about worked, didn't move the bearing at all.

It still has a little of the high rpm 4 cycle thing going on,, if that wasn't present, I'd be

lookin' for a bigger boat! :eek:

I wrote you something in rc-hydro 'bout that and other stuff before I saw this topic :D

It's too bad we can't ship Jerry and his boat to IMPBA territory to set a 30 tunnel record.

Lohring Miller

I just wanted to say that Clarence Smith has recovered from heart valve replacement, I was SO GLAD

to see him! He Looks Great and his record setting 3.5 Mod K&B powered 24" Dumas (Sprint is it?)

was back also with Allen Burns at the wheel.

I can hear most of you thinking, K&B?,, this K&B was modded by Clarence himself, No Pipe! and this

little motor can humble any of the districts 3.5 mod engines in peak straight speed! No Kidding,, it will

put a :D on your face to see this unit run. I consider what Clarence has done with this combo ranks

among the highest achievements in model boating,,, and I must say, He is the most pleasant and

interesting person I have ever known.

WELCOME BACK Clarence!

It must be the 8907 K&B, that thing can be made for impressive performances.

And as far as shipping for Jerry and his boat, well UPS ships about anything anywhere, isn't it? :lol:

Ronald.

I also wanted to say that I didn't learn what I know about modifying engines in a vacume,

people like Jim Irwin, Rod Geraghty, Tim Duggan, Clarence Smith, Marty Davis's site and

writings of Jennings and Blair were all key to unlocking the mysteries of this huge subject.

It is a universe of it's own, you will find that out once you start studying.

With out all these people and more, all I would have is the desire.

I heard it said once, "You can learn from book's,, You can learn from watching other's or

You can piss on the electric fence for yourself",,

frankly, I like book's and other's better ;)

How is the reverse engine rotation of 100% of all car/buggy engines work with an outboard? I've never seen an O/B Thunder Tiger lower, is there any gearing in there?

Ryan

How is the reverse engine rotation of 100% of all car/buggy engines work with an outboard? I've never seen an O/B Thunder Tiger lower, is there any gearing in there?

Ryan
Yes Ryan, there is a gear set to make everything alright for the props we use.

You would need everything that makes up the Thunder Tiger Lower unit and

everything that makes up the PTO Back Plate.

You could probably get all those parts for around $130, or you could buy the whole

O/B motor for just over $200 and sell me the powerhead for $75 or so if you want.

But you have to have a viable doner engine, the O.S.VG-P-X just happens to be one,

and there's machining work that needs to be done.

I have been looking at other car/buggy engines that are possible as well,,

but the problem is that the information you get from "technical notes",

"exploded views" and "owners manual" just don't give you the information you

need to make sure it's going to adapt.

If you can't get the information by other means, it's a "Buy & Try" deal :( :)

Sunthar,

Gonna have to take some at the final Club race of the season, I wanted to at the last race

but I forgot the camera :( again

There is talk about a demonstration event the day before the Cup Race with a radar on

site,, haven't heard anythin' final yet.

What's next,, "RB Concepts TM728",, maybe.

Aww Sh1t, I think I just had my 15 minutes of fame.

Jerry, time to get your next 15 mins. I love the stuff you come up with, and all the hints and advice you gave me on engine mods really helped out especially for my airplane engines.

So PLEASE!!!! do not stop doing this and coming out wtih new stuff.

Maybe I should email you pics of all the Taiwanese cuties to tempt you to take over Thunder tigers engine dept???? :lol:

So PLEASE!!!! do not stop doing this and coming out wtih new stuff.

Maybe I should email you pics of all the Taiwanese cuties to tempt you to take over Thunder tigers engine dept???? :lol:
I'd love to take over the TT engine dept, I'd put TimD to work strait'a way and I'll deal with the cuties. B)

Back