3.5 Tunnel SAW record

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rod,

Shazam, I see the light.... I looked at the XT 460 and can see what you are talking about. Thanks Bill

For anyone interested in the scientific aspects - here's an article that will scramble your brain with formula's..... :p

click here

Most of it relates to sailing craft but there is some interesting stuff in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Racers,

It may also take a 4213/2 bladed propeller from England. Of course they will

need to be "OPTIMIZED" BY (PROPS-4-U). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, they look really nice. Simon does a really nice job on his propellers.

I know a fella up in Western Canada that used these propellers to set many

records,right Rod?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

I'm sure you are talking about Jim Auguston.

I believe his APBA/NAMBA record count was just over 70.

Actually he lives in the U.S. in Bellingham,Washington right next to the Canadian border. ;) If fact I talked to him just a week ago.

He was introduced to Simon Higgens [AKA The Prop Shoppe] in 1990 by a John May.

John was a transplanted contract English engineer working for the big oil refineries in Bellingham.

He was a big time tether boat racer in the U.K. and had used Simons props for years.Jim set a ton of records with Simons props.

Geraghty said:
I'm sure you are talking about Jim Auguston.I believe his APBA/NAMBA record count was just over 70.

Actually he lives in the U.S. in Bellingham,Washington right next to the Canadian border. ;) If fact I talked to him just a week ago.

He was introduced to Simon Higgens [AKA The Prop Shoppe] in 1990 by a John May.

John was a transplanted contract English engineer working for the big oil refineries in Bellingham.

He was a big time tether boat racer in the U.K. and had used Simons props for years.Jim set a ton of records with Simons props.
So Rod what ever happend to Jim and john as i don't hear any thing about them as I sure did like johns black rigger with a cmb 45 and wish i could make one to try. my self.

Jimmy

and I sure do thank you for the help that you gave me when you lived out my way on tunnels but now i got to stronger motor and the boat is hard to handel.

any way thank you

JImmy Whitbeck :)

Jim is retired and playing golf and flying his ultra-light.

Jim told me he saw John a few months ago but that was all he said.I haven't talked to John for over 10 years.

That black rigger that John built had a very tired OPS .65 in it when it ran 94 with a Prop Shoppe prop,with Jim at the sticks,at Twin Lakes in '91.I still have the video tape of that run somewhere.That was a sight to see.

I didn't know John had put a CMB .45 in that boat.He must have done that after I moved to Wisconsin from Seattle.

Geraghty said:
Jim is retired and playing golf and flying his ultra-light.Jim told me he saw John a few months ago but that was all he said.I haven't talked to John for over 10 years.

That black rigger that John built had a very tired OPS .65 in it when it ran 94 with a Prop Shoppe prop,with Jim at the sticks,at Twin Lakes in '91.I still have the video tape of that run somewhere.That was a sight to see.

I didn't know John had put a CMB .45 in that boat.He must have done that after I moved to Wisconsin from Seattle.
I never saw it with a 65 in it I saw it at the expo up thare. from what i rembered it had air or ram air intakes on sponsons. and all ways wanted to try that on a tunnel but

it's more than likley been tried?

Jimmy

Rod, if you have any pics of Tommy's 3.5 record boat, I sure would like a peek,

I like see'n how the O' Master does it ;) :D

I'm sorry,I don't have any photos of the SAW boat.

I don't think Tommy has a digital camera but I will be talking to him today and I will ask.

what about putting small dimples like a golf ball on the flat running surface of the sponsons to help break the suction?

A tiny low pressure pocket will be formed under each one of the dimples and slow the boat down. Same thing will happen behind a step that is not vented. I know a raceboat builder (lifesize boats) that experimented with textured running surfaces. Never could find anything that increased speed.

Mark

I know a guy that did that to his flat bottom race boat with about 1200 ponies in it and it DID go faster. On the clocks in the quarter mile.

But that isn't a model so????

Re: dimples like a golf ball

Jeez, if I tried dimples my tunnel it would probably either duck hook or slice - two of my best shots when I hit a driver off the tee box. There is something as frustrating a model boat racing - GOLF!!

JD

The dimples on a golf ball do not reduce friction as the ball flies through the air as most people might think. The dimples push a wave of air forward from under the ball as it spins backwards and the ball carries much farther riding this wave which is being generated by the dimples. Needless to say there has been tremendous R&D on golf balls. Sailboat racers have found that texturing the leading edges of the hull (or hulls) can make a slight difference. Texturing the entire hull like the leading edges does not work. But that is displacement hull not planing. Getting back to basics, I hope Rod continues to share some of his knowledge.

Mark

so what everybody is saying that any kind of texture would not work.I can see now the low pressure in the dimples.If you could reduce the area that the water contacts that would increase speed like using steps, so what about raised squares on the ride pad.The grooves in between the squares would allow air to move unlike the dimples and also reduce the surface area of the pad.I am just throwing ideas to the pros sorry if they sound stupid :blink:

I figure if ya dont ask question's ya cant learn anything, So dont worry bout how it sounds, ya can never tell ;)

Here's one I was thinkin about,

Your std WOF sponson with reduced deadrise flip it over bottom side up and run a plunge router right through the middle of the ride surface, lets say the last 11 inches, effectivly splitting it into two surfaces.

Gene :D

Considering that there is so little contact area with the water on a straightaway pass, which is the title of this thread, I believe with picklefork tunnels more speed is going to to found in reducing and balancing aerodynamic drag. I include balancing because you are always going to have some, no way around it.

Mark

Back