3.5 outboards aussi

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, MJ's boat ran a 1.35 at the Winter Spec a few years back. So you were correct, not under a 1.30. Murph ran a 1.39 last year too.Not detracting from the times set, but different ponds, different courses, different time of the year, and most importantly DIFFERENT RULES!

You two have had your 5 minutes of fame running that heat time. Time to quit ramming it down our throats, OK? :lol: :lol:

How about focussing on your next challenge;

How about trying to get the same number of competitors (or more) in your own class than A O/B tunnel at sanctioned events.

I'll give you a tip - start a thread just like this one with the focus on sharing info, helping newb's,and promoting racing rather than using the "All I can say is......" type line used above. I really want to see it succeed like A O/B tunnel has done in the last 3 or 4 years. The potential is there. How you guys with "the knowledge of the subject" handle the promoting it and by helping others that will make all the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 minutes of fame...

so when would you like my autograph tim... :p

If i swing you a drive of the electric can i have 10 minutes of fame?

As i recal the last time we entered in a electric tunnel class, it was called OBT at the hunter valley and electrics only got kris and myself there, and i never made a start as i blew a speedcontrol. I said i would build a nitro one after that event and i have done so and it has been a very sucessfull boat for me this year. Only reason it didnt go well at the nationals as i was stupid with it. But the concern was gettting people to focus on the electric tunnels. And i think we did that, with a few people asking about them and where to get them. So i think you will see more out there, we did have 5 entries this time compared to only 2. Not bad considering there has been no talk about it.

We know you are building one and cannot wait to see how it goes. As you know we (meaning kris and I) are always willing to lend a hand. Even equipement if i see a fellow boater struggeling at a race. As for the cheap aquacraft setup, well that will work but you will only want to drive you nitro as its faster.

Kris and i ran

28 - 32 inch hulls

120 - 125 amp contollers

1515/1Y nue motors

polyRC lipo 4500mah

438 props.

modified lawless lower units.

pipe length - 0 inchs :D

what i was getting at in my last statement about the lynx never repeating the heat time is its just to unreliable. It may be able to do it at the same lake, same day only minutes apart. but when you have a high mod setup its very hard to get things right every time. The comment was made that every time i put the electric out there, i have got ability to do heat times within 5-10 seconds. I know i have tried with my stock nitro tunnel to do the same times only 1 hour apart and the air temperature changes that much it was good one race and a dog the other.

I dont feel the need to start another thread to get guys in Aus to come play with electric tunnels. If they want to then they will. Just like i did with nitro tunnels.

And if we really want to get picky with who tropied. I kept really quiet about my silverware from BOTB. That tunnel trophy is nice on my trophy shelf. And im from QLD... Just could have NSW have all the trophies this year... Sorry to put a spanner in the works... LOL

Dave

Geez, it seems some of you guys from over the border can dish it out, but cannot take it too well!!!! :p

Dave, what I meant was that the only boat that came close to Paul's boat for speed was Kesso's. It does not mean I was taking into account the heat racing conditions such as lane placing, driving techniques etc etc. Purely a speed comparison as I perceived it, (that is, when compared to other nitro boats - not electrics).

In any case, I don't quite understand how electrics came into the equation anyway. From what I recall they ran their own class as did the nitro boats. ;)

What i was getting at in my last statement about the lynx never repeating the heat time is its just to unreliable. It may be able to do it at the same lake, same day only minutes apart. but when you have a high mod setup its very hard to get things right every time. The comment was made that every time i put the electric out there, i have got ability to do heat times within 5-10 seconds. I know i have tried with my stock nitro tunnel to do the same times only 1 hour apart and the air temperature changes that much it was good one race and a dog the other.
Thats a somewhat true statement. I don't agree with it 100% though.The Lynx is a set-up critical hull. I know this to be the case 'cos I helped MJ a lot with his. The power aspect is only part of the equation - it's mostly trim and the water conditions. At the Winter Spec in 06 when I drove a Lynx, I won 4 from 4 over two days. Perfect score of 1600 points. My HTB290 by comparison is a much more forgiving boat if the setup isn't 100%. Uusally if there is a variance in pace - it's motor / tuning.

You also have to appreciate that the tuning is a part of the challenge of the class & Makes it more interesting! Thats the part that sends some people away but attracts others like myself. I've done the A, B, C, X hydro thing. I've done the Petrol and X mono thing too, but I still enjoy the challenge of A O/B tunnel because it's never easy.

There are other things that prevent repetition in heat times - what the water was like, if there were dead boats to negotiate, hitting the start etc etc.

And if we really want to get picky with who trophied. I kept really quiet about my silverware from BOTB. That tunnel trophy is nice on my trophy shelf. And im from QLD... Just could have NSW have all the trophies this year... Sorry to put a spanner in the works... LOL
Dave
I'm glad that you trophied at BOTB. It's always great when someone relatively new to the class does well. Especially when they do it with a boat they built and set-up themselves. Shows that the knowledge is being shared. This whole interstate rivalry thing is just a bit of a laugh really - nothing serious.

Hope you don't mean me Gino?

Sounds like Tim is the one getting hot under the collar about some HE STARTED...if you can't take the heat man, stay out of the fire!

i like my pipe set at 8"+

BTW Tim, when has your rigger ever ran 1:15? You need to finish races man before you can get a heat time...

Well its about time

I thought this thread was getting stale :lol:

the boys are fired up

3.5 OUTBOARDS back to the top of the threads good to see.

Back on topic now? The 3.5 cubic centimetre Internal combustion engine powered outboard tunnel hulls in Australia?

Now that the "heat's died down, I can come back into the kitchen" :eek: :eek:

Greg,

I was looking at those results for 2005 Hunter Valley Champs that Tim put in his post and it looks like you did a pretty respectable time in 'A' Outboard - 1min 44 sec! Was that the little Green Villain with the stock K&B??

If my maths aren't wrong that's less than one second a lap more than what Paul Stirton just did at the Nationals, pretty impressive Mate! ;) ;)

Regards,

James

Hey Kesso

Mate yes in 2005 that was the little green VILLIAN with a stock K&B SS

Since then ive run a Stock K&B SX on the same VILLIAN

and its been a very good package for me,won many a big event with a stock setup

and as you know im still running it today.

Mate a very good time it ran,

I think if you are a little slower stock and can hug the boys

then you can run the times,if your quicker,then the corners are wider and the times pan out

to be the same,

Let me tell you when you sit in the rescue boat like we did at the World Challenge and actually see

how far from the bouys we are its mind blowing,

Greg

no wrong there greg on the stand looks close but out in the boat its a big shock

to see how far people take the turns even some of the veterans

ian

ahhh didn't think you could keep it up for too long...soo guess you wont be bringing up the trash talk again :p :D :lol: :rolleyes: hahaha

Anyway well done to the boys at the Nats...all I can say is, at least I am CONSISTENT......................LY not getting a win in 3.5 OB hehe

Back to electric tunnels, just to stirr up some trouble. Our club just hosted a joint gas, nitro, electric race that featured two electric Topspeed II tunnels against 3.5 modified tunnels in open tunnel. The Topspeed, powered by a Super V 27 motor and speed control, was about the same speed as the 3.5 boats. However, Brian Buaas put his 4S2P lipo, Castle 240 Hydro, Neu motor setup in his Topspeed. This boat ran as fast as any heat racing tunnel I have seen (in the 60 mph area) in the perfect pond conditions. He really needed a 7.5 size boat. I've radared the best 7.5 mod tunnels at 60+ mph at the end of the straight, and this boat might have beat them. Electrics finally can run 1 mile courses with the nitro boats. The Super V power plant makes a great, moderate cost outboard that compares favorably with the 3.5 nitro engine.

Lohring Miller

Back to electric tunnels, just to stirr up some trouble. Our club just hosted a joint gas, nitro, electric race that featured two electric Topspeed II tunnels against 3.5 modified tunnels in open tunnel. The Topspeed, powered by a Super V 27 motor and speed control, was about the same speed as the 3.5 boats. However, Brian Buaas put his 4S2P lipo, Castle 240 Hydro, Neu motor setup in his Topspeed. This boat ran as fast as any heat racing tunnel I have seen (in the 60 mph area) in the perfect pond conditions. He really needed a 7.5 size boat. I've radared the best 7.5 mod tunnels at 60+ mph at the end of the straight, and this boat might have beat them. Electrics finally can run 1 mile courses with the nitro boats. The Super V power plant makes a great, moderate cost outboard that compares favorably with the 3.5 nitro engine.
Lohring Miller

Go Lohring..!!!!!!

You might have to watch saying things like that or else the boys wont let you into our country again as they would be to afraid of the Dremel powered outboards... :lol:

About the electrics running the mile.. Well we have been doing it now for 3 years. Its only been in the last 18 months that the speeds have be compared to that of the nitro boats. I would put it down to the NEU black oval and lipo's, and we dont have to parallel as you would have found out on your visit over here.

And with all this great stuff happeing with electrics, i ask myself, why did i just buy another nitro boat.

Dave

geeeze some of the attitudes are disgusting around here...some people try and stir things up a little to creat some INTEREST which seems to be LACKING lately and others get upset geeeze...guess you can't keeep everyone happy LOL

That is some GREAT info Lohring! Thanks for posting it it...

I don't like the Gas outboards but I don't get upsetwhen people talk about them in this thread

Kris

PS Sorry Tim I will stop now till things calm down again :ph34r: :D

I'm a hard core gas and nitro guy. However, I'll race anyone with anything. One of my projects is a lower unit for Zenoahs. After last weekend another will probably be an electric outboard for one of my Leecraft XT-460s. Though I sold the business, I have several hulls left. The 33 inch long hull in epoxy glass should be perfect for electric. We'll see.

I hope some of you can make it to the 2009 NAMBA Nationals. I promise some good outboard racing and we are talking about a few electric classes as well. If you are comming, let me know so I can help. I owe all of you big time for help on my trip.

Lohring Miller

Guys calm down,

I'm not a electric guy myself but I must say that Kris's electric tunnel was impressive. Give the guy some credit for what he does.

Kris is a stand up guy he and I have had many dealings with each other and he is always ready to help out a fellow boater.

His electric tunnel is nearly enough for me to want to build one.

Back