3.5 ops pulling the complete element.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Some of you guys have helped me on other posts.I am the guy that broke the crank in his 3.5 ops.I took the head and carb of this broken engine and replaced the buggy carb. and turbo head on a NIB 3.5 ops.

I also removed the HSN on the barrel type carb now on the new motor, plugged of the fuel inlet and used the part where the needle use to be for my fuel inlet .I had seen this done on other boats.

I then installed a cmb remote needle between the tank and the carb.

The engine was very rich and would start hard and not like to take the fuel from idle.So i figured since i heard that the engine with no lsn like this one ,, needs to be very rich on the bench.I figured i was somewhere close.

I launched my cal craft mono and it had a nice blue haze so i think i am rich enough.

It was running fine but it keeps pulling the whole element out of the plug or pulling the blug far enough to break it.

It went well and seemed fine but my pipe did slide ahead a couple times.

I have the .29-40 ops pipe at 8.5" The fuel is 35% and i tried o.s # 8 mccoy #8,9 and 59 odonell purple dot.pulled them all.

The # 8 os worked the best ?

I do not know one thing about head clearance or volume or how to measure it. The button does have 3 paper thin shims or washers.

What do you think would be my problem.

Terry

Some of you guys have helped me on other posts.I am the guy that broke the crank in his 3.5 ops.I took the head and carb of this broken engine and replaced the buggy carb. and turbo head on a NIB 3.5 ops.
I also removed the HSN on the barrel type carb now on the new motor, plugged of the fuel inlet and used the part where the needle use to be for my fuel inlet .I had seen this done on other boats.

I then installed a cmb remote needle between the tank and the carb.

The engine was very rich and would start hard and not like to take the fuel from idle.So i figured since i heard that the engine with no lsn like this one ,, needs to be very rich on the bench.I figured i was somewhere close.

I launched my cal craft mono and it had a nice blue haze so i think i am rich enough.

It was running fine but it keeps pulling the whole element out of the plug or pulling the blug far enough to break it.

It went well and seemed fine but my pipe did slide ahead a couple times.

I have the .29-40 ops pipe at 8.5" The fuel is 35% and i tried o.s # 8 mccoy #8,9 and 59 odonell purple dot.pulled them all.

The # 8 os worked the best ?

I do not know one thing about head clearance or volume or how to measure it. The button does have 3 paper thin shims or washers.

What do you think would be my problem.

Terry

guys, no help on why this pipe combo may be pulling so many plug elements

terry

guys your letting me down here ;) :lol: I need some input on why i am burning through so many plugs.

Today was much better once i moved my pipe out to 9" and made sure it could not move.

I am running the 3.5 ops speed, side exhaust with the ops .29-40 pipe at 8.5-9" and 355 wildcat and a variety of plugs.Well I am almost out now :(

The last run out tonight before dark i tried a cooper quite pipe and it ran very well at 8-5/8" from plug to weld and never damaged the plug.

Could the larger pipe be my problem?

What would you guys recommend for plugs for this 3.5 ops as well as the 3.5 k&B.

Thanks

Terry

I generally pull the first coil on the K&B HP's I run, after a good heat the element will have 2-3 coils completely out of the cavity, I just stuff 'em back in with a pick and run it again.

I think the pipe's doing it's job if your pullin' the element out... :rolleyes:

Terry K,

Terry's problem is not that he has a few coils being pulled, there is no element left, nothing but a gaping hole.

Before you can really change and eliminate possibilties you need to know your head clearance. The tool you need is a depth gauge to get an accurate reading. Without knowing the head clearance you can move and change as many things as you want without getting the results you desire. Just MHO.

Robert

If you run too much prop you can go through plugs quickly too. You might try a little less prop and see what happens.

Back