3.5 need rebuild?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOTOboat

Hi Guys,

First thanks for all the help this forum has been. God knows I've asked my share of questions that makes one go.. duh :blink: !

I got my 32" Wood Stuff with a K&B 3.5 SS running two weeks ago and I was quite surprised how well it ran, especially how well it handled.

However I have a question regarding a noise I noticed from the motor when I was cleaning it after the run.

I've noticed if I hold the flywheel and PTO output there is slight "slop" as I turn the PTO output (Square part where the Flex cable attaches to) and the fly wheel.

If I hold the piston with a Q-Tip shaft through the exhaust port and turn the fly wheel there is no slop. If I again try the PTO output there is slight slop. It is not the PTO bearings, nor is their any sideways play from the PTO or flywheel.

If I had to guess it seems that where the crankshaft attaches to the PTO (I think it is a pin) this is some slight moment, otherwise the piston, crank and bearings all seem fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it worn? Is it normal?

I purchased this motor used. It "appears" to have been well kept (The gold flywheel looks new and there is no discoloration on the motor. It has a plastic race in the PTO bearing so this at least must have been replaced.

Finally the adaptor from the head to the canister exhaust has a 3/8" or 1/4" hole drilled in it before it attaches to the muffler. Is this stock or has someone relieved the exhaust?

Much thanks in advance

MOTOboat

I think that if the engine seems to be running well it doesn't need rebuilt. A little clearance in the PTO to crankshaft connection won't hurt anything. The most common hard to figure out problem is an air leak. If the bearings seem ok, but you can't lean the engine down without it quitting, that is the problem. Look at the shaft (crankshaft and PTO) seal area. If it is scored, the bearings failed, allowing the shaft to touch the seal area. The bearings get replaced, but the engine still won't run except really rich.

The hole in the exhaust manifold was stock with the first 3.5SS. I'm not sure if K&B still puts the hole in, but many people feel it is needed. I bet it was left over from the time K&B used that manifold with an exhaust throttle on their 3.5 inboard.

Lohring Miller

Thx Rod,

Yeah I know, I am just a little too anal! :wacko:

Thanks guys

MOTOboat

Back