.21 Tunnels, Powerheads

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Hey Gang,

Im try'n to get used to the new format of the site and pic posting.

Hang loose.......This could take awhile......

Last edited by a moderator:
Been surf'n round and check'n out prices......

Saw tha VS1 price!

Got one comming next week,

Gene ;)

Also,

On the subject of powerheads, Whats everybody runnin now?

Last time I was on..... CMB on a Lawless was hot,

Gene

Hi Gener,

The OS leg is my favourite - lawless with the OS propshaft assembly fitted would be next. The OS leg has the best propshaft assembly there is, and also has the trim adjustment behind the pin (a useful tuning tool).

Motor wise, the Novarossi TOP engines converted to O/B are very popular down here now thanks to availability of cranks and PTO's. There are also a few GO 21's that have been converted that are running very well. I'm yet to see a tecnopower engine, but like that you can get them as an O/B powerhead ready to bolt straight on to the OS leg.

Tim

Hey Tim and Greg,

Thanks guy's for the info, that should point me in tha right direction,

Lots to look up and digest.

Gene

Mike Z.....If you read this,

Any differences on tha dims,VS1 to the Villain kit ?

gene, the vs1 & the villian kits are the same dimensionaly. the vs1 is lighter by just a little bit, not sure if it's the wood or epoxy ( you can prolly thank the bean counters for that part :rolleyes: ). good to see you back, you bailed right about the time i joined iw.

Hey Robin, Thanks for the welcome and the info, lots of things to think about :D

Well the big brown truck came today,

And there is a new addition to tha shop,

Cya....

Gene ;)

Nice lamps!.......oh u mean the tunnel?....haha. So what powerhead and lower are you going to use? Keep us posted on your progress.

gene, don't know if they (aquacraft) have gotten it resolved, but the early VS1's had some seam/glue joint issues. back then, grim recommended checking ALL the seams very carefully ;) . i have heard some reports of water/rot in them, that didn't show on the outside. owners weren't aware of it until something came apart because of it, then they found/saw the black rot inside. not an issue if you check it now & keep an eye on it, just like any other wood or wof hull. what ya got in mind for power? do you remember daddy sundowner & his #8 budweiser villain kit (#46) build? if so, it's mine now, still running it. going into it's fifth season for me. i'm running my version of a k&b sx.

Hey Ron,

Thanks there Waterford :lol:

Well the outboard, That is the question isnt it ?

After much deliberation with Tim D. Best choice for me seems to be the OS XM 21,

Great lower and very reliable powerhead.

Gene

gene, don't know if they (aquacraft) have gotten it resolved, but the early VS1's had some seam/glue joint issues. back then, grim recommended checking ALL the seams very carefully ;) . i have heard some reports of water/rot in them, that didn't show on the outside. owners weren't aware of it until something came apart because of it, then they found/saw the black rot inside. not an issue if you check it now & keep an eye on it, just like any other wood or wof hull. what ya got in mind for power? do you remember daddy sundowner & his #8 budweiser villain kit (#46) build? if so, it's mine now, still running it. going into it's fifth season for me. i'm running my version of a k&b sx.
Hey Robin,

Yea I read that checking the seams thing too,

Yes I think I do remember Daddy Sundown's villain, Nice score!

Lookin like the OS fer me ;)

Not sure if I'll go for the new air cooled version,

Still thinking,

Gene

Hi-ho Gener

The VS1 is the very same boat as the old Villain S1.. we did have to make some changes to the way it built but the numbers on the hull are all the same.

ON ALL OF THE VS-1 boats I would CHECK ALL THE SEAMS regardless of when you bought it.. Having said this i still heat up and remove the top sheeting from the sponsons and seal (West Systems) the inside of the sponsons making SURE they are sealed. I then make a new top sheet and glue it in place.

I also remove the transom and reglue EVERYTHING in and around that area.

The entire boat gets scuffed and re-cleared.

Im picky and thats the bottom line. Also.. just so you know.. I have been beat by VS-1s that have had none of this done..

In the time the VS-1 has been available I have had two of them.. the first one lasted about 3 races and was "BLASTED" at the masters in 08.. The second one I just put on the shelf..

As for power.. in my opinion there is ONLY ONE lower unit and that’s OS.. Between the stub shaft bushing and the motor mount it can not be beat. The power head is “soft” but can be made to really haul.. My OS OB is now 5 years old and still has a nickel liner in it but is updated to the billet piston. (can not get the old cast pistons anymore).

Also.. use Grimracer fuel.. its the best and im not just blowing smoke.. the oil package is light years ahead of the rest of the boat fuel market.

Later buddy!

Grim

I got an OS that will make that VS1 blow off at will... and its for sale.

~ James

Hey Guy's

Mikie,

Ya I probed around some checking for voids,

Thanks Man, As always very informative. ;)

James,

Thanks for tha tip, I'll check out your for sale post :D

Gene

Quick update:

Got the sponsons done,

And adjusted the cowl fit a lil' tighter......

Gotta pick up some spruce and CA,

I add a transom kicker (brace) in tha middle on mine.

I also liked the way the hull ran with the verticle on the left sponson tip,

One thang,

The stumble blocks are ROUGH! Got some work there....

Least they took tha bark off before they glued em up :lol:

Back in a few,

Gene ;)

Thanks Mike ! ;)

BTW, A guitar stand also makes a great holding jig for working on a tunnel,

The fold up kind not the telescoping,

Local music stores, Bout 15-20 bucks.......

Gene

Outboard should be here soon from my throttle twist'n Bud TF,

So got me thinking bout setup:

1) Use the manual that comes in tha box with the hull,

You did keep tha manual right?

If not its a free download at: http://www.aquacraftmodels.com

Tips from tha Grimracer, mutiple titles and designer of tha hull.

2) Check out the articles from issues of RCBM by JD on the orig kit and VS1.

Jerry goes buy the book with unique tips added from his own experiences

with tha hull.

3) And I might add:

The fore mentioned transom kicker, drill a hole and loop a metal fishing

lanyard thru and attach ends to a mounting bolt on tha powerhead.

Just the back third of the hull will float a detached outboard ...... ;)

Gene

Hey James,

Crank It! and Spank It!

I kin do dat.... :D

Thanks Man,

Gene

The OS is here,

And I still havent made it to the hobby store yet,

Check ya in a few.......

Lata ;)