.21 tunnel weight

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparbarn

how much does your .21 tunnel weigh, ready to run, minus fuel? weighed mine last night, 5 lbs. 2oz.. i only have one set up, so i have nothing to compare to. i'm running 41 and change on radar with a great planes top speed (original version), bone stock 12 mm crank k&b with a perry carb (smaller than the black carb), and a cut x440. is this any good? i'm setting up a hot sprint abs kit that was designed for this motor. how much speed should i expect to pick up with dumas-any guesses? ww29, we need to get together and try props, pm me.

how much does your .21 tunnel weigh, ready to run, minus fuel? weighed mine last night, 5 lbs. 2oz.. i only have one set up, so i have nothing to compare to. i'm running 41 and change on radar with a great planes top speed (original version), bone stock 12 mm crank k&b with a perry carb (smaller than the black carb), and a cut x440. is this any good? i'm setting up a hot sprint abs kit that was designed for this motor. how much speed should i expect to pick up with dumas-any guesses? ww29, we need to get together and try props, pm me.
I have always considered 5lbs or less as very light for a 21 tunnel and the heavy end about 6lbs. Any more than that and I look to take off weight with lighter batteries or servos. Bottom line is you need to stay on the water so ultra light will go fast but may not finnish a race. At the end of the day with equal set ups, speed and weight to HP are proportional. Finishing a heat is not.

Any K&B in the 40 plus mph range is respectable. Go with the boat that handles best.

Mike Z. has my Sport boat, but Im pretty sure its a little over or right at 4 pounds. My mod boat is 5 pounds 2 ounces.

You are where you need to be in my opinion. A little more speed will come with tweaking, but 41 ACTUAL mph is not a bad speed. Some guys like to inflate MPH a tad....

~James

My WOF, 21 class, , build by Mark-OBnut has some extra weight inside the sponsons due to the wx and water condition at my place.

When its back from the paintjob I like to weigh it , so hold on for the figures.

Ronald.

I have always considered 5lbs or less as very light for a 21 tunnel and the heavy end about 6lbs. Any more than that and I look to take off weight with lighter batteries or servos. Bottom line is you need to stay on the water so ultra light will go fast but may not finnish a race. At the end of the day with equal set ups, speed and weight to HP are proportional. Finishing a heat is not.

Any K&B in the 40 plus mph range is respectable. Go with the boat that handles best.
i'm happy with the boat and the performance. the boat flys and carries the nose very well. turns like it's on rails-no hooking at all, very little sliding, also. i just wish some of my full size boats rode this nice, back when i raced a little growing up. this question was more for info and comparison. i don't live close to any racing, or other boaters to run with, so i have nothing to compare to. like i mentioned, this is an older 12 mm crank motor, so breaking 40 mph seems pretty good to me. running 25% norvel fuel. the stock perry carb throat measures .199", the later stock black carb for this and 13 mm crank motors has a .265 throat. i've mixed up some 40% i'll try this weekend. i'm thinking that and a black carb will help. and some more prop experimenting! picked up almost 3 mph from a prather 215ss/s&b, by going to a x440, tongue cut and diameter reduced slightly. my first attempt at prop mods, too. james, are you willing to part with a black carb? i know you are collecting them for modding, but maybe you would sell just one-stock (pretty please)? if not, i understand what you want them for, anyone else have one? i have afew options to lose about 4 or 5 ozs. pretty easy, but the boat runs really good, AND handles wind gusts pretty well. VERY predictable, no surprises, you can get pretty brave (stupid :eek: ), and still save it. like i said, not complaining, just looking for input. i need to get my 13 mm mod motor back together and see what this boat will do. might be an older hull that will still compete. the set up now will definately finish races, if i can do my part correctly,lol. anybody know if JD designed this version of the top speed also? be nice if he chimed in.......

Back