.21 tuned pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernest2

hi!

what would be a good tuned pipe for a O.S. .21 rg-m? i have seen macs, i'm a bit confused, they have 2 for 3.5 engines.. the one is just labeled tuned pipe and the other is marine tuned pipe.. they have a price differnce of about 14$.. i have also seen the prather tuned pipe.. will any of these pipe work good for the .21? it will be just a sport boat.

thanks!

ernest

If this is for a inbroad try a copper pipe. If it for a outboard try a irwin pipe.

my .02 cents

Both the marine and the "airplane" should work fine. You can always adjust the length of the pipe until you find a setting that makes your engine happy -turn "on" with your particular propeller.

From a noise standpoint I would suggest a muffled 3.5 MACs pipe should make your ears happier. I believe the cooper is also a muffled pipe.

thanks! i've seen some of homemade mufflers attached to the tuned pipe.. is it easy to make them? or is it better if i just buy a muffled tuned pipe.

ernest2 said:
is it easy to make them? or is it better if i just buy a muffled tuned pipe.
I'm working on an expansion chamber-type home-made muffler made from a 35mm film canister. I should get the parts today (ran out of film canisters...) They should not be difficult to make. The hardest part is getting a retaining system made for them -I'm using a rubber grommet and wire-ties to hold them in place on my macs pipe and it seems to be working okay.

I still think that the internal muffled pipes are better -because it's all built in no need to mess with add-on stuff. MACS does not make a muffled 2.5 pipe, that is why I'm going with the add-on muffler.

Here is a quick disection of a generic canister muffler. I'll be adding a metallic mesh to the inside of the canister as well as using a sponge-like material on both ends to help absorb the noise.

Eric, try using a compression type of Tru-Arc ring (from McMaster) to hold the muff on. This type of lock ring does not require a groove, only a set of pin pliers and a strong squeeze to install it. The ring will lock onto the stinger very tight, flush against your grommet, and if desired, you can install two for security. You can even use a "snuff" tobacco can instead of the film container if you want a ready made canister in several sizes. Have fun!! :D :D

Back