*2016 IMPBA Gas Nationals*

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big shout out to Roy and his club with extras for putting on a great race. But I have to say this was the worst officiating at a race I've seen in a long time. Repeated bad calls on the starts because the clock was slow? It's digital. No lane infractions for cutting people off not called numerous times and DQ's on lane infractions that didn't happen, changing scores after the heat was long over without telling the driver, with no explanation, winning illegal boats not called out, illegal motors not DQ'd cause it's a gray area? Taper on a stock piston is not allowed and they don't wear in that way. It's all black and white in the rule book. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and several others that don't want to upset anyone so they just complain quietly. I just don't understand why no one ever criticizes the officiating body after a race for this, just praises like the bad calls never happen. The club can only do so much but the CD is responsible for the decisions made and are not above the rule book. Just my 2 cents worth. Congrats again to Roy.

Big shout out to Roy and his club with extras for putting on a great race. But I have to say this was the worst officiating at a race I've seen in a long time. Repeated bad calls on the starts because the clock was slow? It's digital. No lane infractions for cutting people off not called numerous times and DQ's on lane infractions that didn't happen, changing scores after the heat was long over without telling the driver, with no explanation, winning illegal boats not called out, illegal motors not DQ'd cause it's a gray area? Taper on a stock piston is not allowed and they don't wear in that way. It's all black and white in the rule book. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and several others that don't want to upset anyone so they just complain quietly. I just don't understand why no one ever criticizes the officiating body after a race for this, just praises like the bad calls never happen. The club can only do so much but the CD is responsible for the decisions made and are not above the rule book. Just my 2 cents worth. Congrats again to Roy.
Mr Jacobs. I know we are all entitled to our opinions but making allegations on a public forum is poor sportsmanship. If you wish to discuss any of these issues with me as I was the CD most of the race, feel free to call me anytime. 419-360-3230

Well Mr. Ripley I'm sorry you feel it's bad sportsmanship to complain, I have many racers that think I'm a good sport bout 99% of the time. I have tried talking to you at the pond and the answers I received didn't answer the question. It is the 2nd most thankless job at a race to be the CD, but it comes with the highest responsibility as all the racers came to win and improper calls ruin it for all involved. There's never gonna be a perfect race but if someone doesn't call the officials out on their mistakes then it just continues to be a quiet problem. If a person is going to take on being a CD they need to be accountable for all the calls and if your the president of IMPBA you need to act on issues weather someone formally protests it or not. I'm not calling any specific issues out, but you were there and knew about them and chose to ignore them and that's not what fostering model boating is about. The rule book is full of rules, far too many and most not needed, but it is there and it should be followed until it's changed. This was a national event and should have been run better than a local club race.

I would like to shout out a huge thank you to ALL the men and women who came together to make the 2016 IMPBA Gas Nats a reality and a success. This Canadian boy had a great time.

13528663_622720487902212_6317476785608021985_n.jpg

Running the retrieve boat is a thankless job but being a CD is much harder. Chris I have heard from other drivers that you did a great job as a CD. Wish I could have been there to watch all the races. I heard they really put on a show. You can't please everyone. You just call it like you see it. I have been there and done that years ago. Maybe next time I'll have a gas boat and make it up there. Again good job as Contest Director.

Ahh nothing like the safety of the computer to voice your displeasure. Always the safest spot and classy. Bruce Jacobs the more people that come on to the forums and cry and complain about officiating makes more people NOT want to become a CD. It is hard enough to get people to do it at a local level, and **** near impossible to find people to do it at a national race. If you were so disappointed in the calls why didn't you volunteer to call some races? I am sure Chris would of loved to run more than one class the entire weekend rather than be stuck in a tower for 3 days. If you would like to complain about officiating maybe you should try a sports forum. After all those officials are PAID.......not volunteering their time. Maybe we should get instant replay for rc boat racing? That surely would speed things up!

I had a great time at the race. Thanks to the quad county guys and to all the volunteers who helped keep this race moving. A lot of fast boats. See you all next year in Virginia!

Yup - there were some bad calls. Bad calls are part of every sport. There was a significant amount of very good calls compared to a few bad calls. The guy's calling are human. Enough said.

Those of you that were effected by bad calls should concentrate your emotions towards some of the benefactors of the bad calls. Some of these guy's knew they benefited from the bad calls and made no effort to get it right. Making a human mistake is one thing - making no effort to correct a mistake speaks to a character flaw.

Starting to CD our local racing. It is a challenge. Already made my share of mistakes. So far nobody hates me.
default_biggrin.png

Doug

Wow !! Butt hurt feelings at a race, lol. Calls are made, some go your way, some dont. I personally got called over on a couple starts...guess what I did, continued to race my race and place the best I could. I spent numerous hours turn judging when not racing to HELP the CD and other racers (what a concept) right. I dont know you personally Bruce, but it's been my experience that if you dont like something happening, than help be part of the solution. To get on here and bash, is poor sportsmanship at best. Sorry you had a bad experience, I can only attest to the hard work of all involved, and appreciate them 100%. If this "hobby" rubs you wrong to the point of resentment, maybe you should take a look at your motives for being involved in it. With all due respect, get over it. Move on, and be part of the solution for the next event. Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Bruce has been involved in calling races and helping out a load at all races he attends and he stated he was trying to help the hobby presenting constructive criticism and to get some incorrect calls from being made in future races. Racing calls are always going to be missed and never ever be 100 % correct but when technical rules are ignored and followed even though the tech inspectors pointed out what technical rules did not meet specifications that is when people get upset. As stated in previous posts people that know there equipment was not legal and chose to race and accept the wins are the ones that are not good sportsmen. To "win" by cheating is not winning! Bruce is as much a good sportsman as any racer I have ever met in my 30 years of model boat racing.

Bruce has been involved in calling races and helping out a load at all races he attends and he stated he was trying to help the hobby presenting constructive criticism and to get some incorrect calls from being made in future races. Racing calls are always going to be missed and never ever be 100 % correct but when technical rules are ignored and followed even though the tech inspectors pointed out what technical rules did not meet specifications that is when people get upset. As stated in previous posts people that know there equipment was not legal and chose to race and accept the wins are the ones that are not good sportsmen. To "win" by cheating is not winning! Bruce is as much a good sportsman as any racer I have ever met in my 30 years of model boat racing.
I agree, Bill, and up until a few minutes ago, I was or aware of such infractions. I was soley basing my comments based on "calls" being made. Hopefully this can be resolved, outside of a public forum. Apologies if anyone may have been offended. I just wanna race my f×*##ing toy boats !! Lol [emoji1]
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Tech inspections are part of the rules of racing if not followed why have rules at all,I would have modded the **** out of my stocker,added fuel additives, brought every cheat imaginable,I have heard that people are considering quiting the affairs in the racing seen,because of this event,the rules clearly state no material may be added or removed from a motor(stock),also heard fuel testing is to expensive and time consuming,I smelled all kinds of so called legal additives in exhaust,calls will always not be fair,I have raced all over and it happens time after time,people know it going in so not much changes there,I think people love to race,but all it is bragging rights,no money made for me,I believe helping people having a good time more important than causing arguments,I'm sure several people where offended by calls,the only way it could be fixed is to have the whole race recorded and replayed and decisions made days after race is completed,that way driver and officials can all revue calls being made-but not very efficient way to do it but the only way people can say they got a fair shake-just my 2cents,I had fun regardless of outcomes,my epuiptment probably took some of the hardest blows of all,but if you don't want it to break don't put it out there(that's what I've been told anyways)we are a community, giving to the hobby and not cheating or being a dirty racer should be everyone's goal,every event,sports,racing,even everyday life people cheat to get ahead,I guess it's just human nature to be dishonest!on well,I will always try my best to do my best the fair way,not breaking the rules,first place cheater last place winner!!!!

Better yet let's vote out all stock classes and run what you brung,no limits but cc size to separate!!!,it would level the playing field and racing more interesting,run any manufacturer-zenoah,QuickDraw, Sikk,RCMK,CMB,Matthe,M&D cast,anything made,any gas fuel that is legally sold or distributed

I thought everyone had the same clock? Didn't everyone have the same clock. I was called over on one of my races, and I feel much better knowing it was the clock and not my fault.

[SIZE=12pt]We all know that starts are judgement calls made by HUMANS, no matter what kind of starting system is used. Until someone can perfect a transponder system that will work on RC boats this is all we have. If you are called over you are over, end of story. Anyone that wants discuss the accuracy of digital electronics can PM me.[/SIZE]

Had a great time at the nats meeting new faces. I have a lot of videos on my Facebook page and I made them public so they can be viewed and shared. thanks to everyone that made this race possible.

the piston in question was NOT wore out, it had .004 removed from top of piston...........I listened to the conversation from Rupley and Maston and it boiled down to whose engine it was and the last time this persons engine was checked it had the same MODS done to it and they didnt want to get him upset............period

Latest posts

Back