2012 Northwest gas final

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering that the $ Bill only made its first full 6 lap run that morning, I was very happy. I think Brian was starting to back off which causes the boat to rock up. The glare covered the gust he was driving into. Still, 3 firsts and a DSQ in the heats wasn't bad for a boat that barely ran two weeks ago. A great engine and props from Brian helped. Bottom modifications left a lot of dust and aluminum shavings in Greg Roth's and Kelley Groul's shops . It wouldn't have been possible without all of you.

I know about Brian's go fast driving style. All the scale details were reinforced. The scale engine will need to be especially tough.

Lohring Miller

PS. I almost forgot to thank Mike Luszcz (sorry for the previous spelling) for his great frame kit. It was a very scale conversion of Roger Newton's plans. Mike McKnight's graphics were also very complete for such an obscure boat. A duck and a $, what more could a University of Oregon grad wish for?

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Nice !! Stock or mod engines ? Think I know the answer ! :D
GAS SCALE HYDRO is now a NAMBA National Class. The rules and specifcations are listed below.

D. SPECIALTY CLASSES

GAS SCALE UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE

Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing rules are intended as a supplement to the general racing rules of NAMBA. In the case of a conflict, the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing rules will prevail.

Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing will follow Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Section #21 with the exception of the following.

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. All boats will be models of past or present Unlimited Hydroplanes that are listed on the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster. The true scale dimensions of any Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane will be derived from the unlimited dimensions listed on the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster.

2. Boats are to be built on a scale of 1.80 inches equals 1 foot of the actual boat (1/6.667 Scale).

3. Boats will measure within the following tolerances of the true scale size,

excluding appendages.

a. Overall Length. ± 1.25 inches

b. Beam…………… …± 12%

c. Maximum Depth.± 10%

d. Afterplane Length

(three point design). ± 10%

e. Tunnel Width………± 10%

4. Motor belly pan for motor and flywheel only. If applicable, the dimensions will not exceed five inches in width, nine inches in length, and one inch in depth. The belly pan can not exceed the depth of any riding surface or recovery surface. If the real boat had a full length belly pan, the model must conform.

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

G or GX Class engines from 15 to 31 cubic centimeters

Tom,

I don't know what everyone else was running, but the $ Bill had a 29.5 Zen that I built last season. It's a great heat race motor in my outrigger. In hindsight I probably should have run a different pipe.

Like I said, who's going to be the first to stuff one of the new CMB 27's in a gas scale boat?

PS. I almost forgot to thank Mike Luszcz (sorry for the previous spelling) for his great frame kit. It was a very scale conversion of Roger Newton's plans. Mike McKnight's graphics were also very complete for such an obscure boat. A duck and a $, what more could a University of Oregon grad wish for?

Lohring Miller
Thanks for the kind words Lohring! So maybe I missed it, but who won that heat and who all was in it? Very cool seeing the big ones run! Mike

Thanks for the kind words Lohring! So maybe I missed it, but who won that heat and who all was in it? Very cool seeing the big ones run! Mike
1st- Dave Brandt

2nd- John Olson

3rd- John Reifel

Mike,

I may need to order a frame kit for another winter build. Seriously fun class. They are going to be scary fast once the engines, pipes and props get sorted out.

Brian, Just let me know man and I can get one drop shipped out to you! Your other "project" will be ready to ship soon! Mike

Back