2009 World OB Tunnel Championships

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question on 1/4 scale gas class,,can i run a 1/4 scale with 11cc nitro with them?
jul

Hey Jul I am not the guy to answer this but I will be running a 1/4 scale tunnle at the champs next year and will not mind you running your boat with us UNLESS your faster than me :lol: As far as I am concerned bring it on. B)

question on 1/4 scale gas class,,can i run a 1/4 scale with 11cc nitro with them?
jul

Hey Jul I am not the guy to answer this but I will be running a 1/4 scale tunnle at the champs next year and will not mind you running your boat with us UNLESS your faster than me :lol: As far as I am concerned bring it on. B)
Hi Tony, Can I come as well with my tunnels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

~~~`Winston`~~~

Jul, the 1/4 scale gas tunnel class, is just that. Gas only. However, you can run that tunnel of yours in the E/F tunnel class with no problems.

Winston, please, come on over!

~James

Jul, the 1/4 scale gas tunnel class, is just that. Gas only. However, you can run that tunnel of yours in the E/F tunnel class with no problems.
Winston, please, come on over!

~James
Thanks James For your wellcome ;) <_< :rolleyes: :D

~~~`Winston`~~~

jul

Hi Tony, Can I come as well with my tunnels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

~~~`Winston`~~~

Heck yeah you are MORE than welcome to come but I must warn you their will be some pretty crazy people there. ;) So yeah you should fit right in. GAS TUNNELS RULE

Hey, Buddy, How`s things going :rolleyes: Its more than a wish to come over, who knows, every thing is posible :rolleyes:

Every thing is ok with your Pal about that :unsure:

next week I will send you some stuff and info Tony :ph34r: you know what I mean :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

C.YA Guys

~~~`Winston`~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: i need clarification, is there anybody racing electric tunnel?

jul

:rolleyes: i need clarification, is there anybody racing electric tunnel?
jul
Herb Stewart raced a FE tunnel in Open Tunnel. Even won a heat.

JD

Jul & Jerry,

The CMB club will actively consider adding one or two FE OB classes to the race. Just have to get the right classes to draw the greatest number of entries and be worthwhile to get a decent foot started for the FE OB's. Will take 5 boats to make a class for the race. We are open to suggestions for what those classes should be.

Please remember, there will NOT be an open class at next year's race as the attendees voted to eliminate the class as being redundant. That opens the window for the FE's to come in. Will also need sponsor(s) for the classes.

The race flyer will be released in January 2009. We want to enjoy the holidays first.

The biggest FE Tunnel Class in the Northwest is the P Limited Tunnel Class. The motor and ESC are required to be from the AQ Super Vee 27 Brushless. Power is Lipo 14 Volts. The TS2 has proven to be a popular hull, however, the new VS1 would also make a good FE tunnel hull.

JD

hey jd, drag darrin jordan along with you. that would make 3. i, for one, would look foward to meeting him in person.

If we run the "Limited" motor rule, I'll bring a FE Tunnel. Let's do the math - Grim + Dunny = 2. :lol:
JD

Dunny,

You will have to educate me, and others, on the limited rule and other class designations. We must go after those classes that will have the greatest amount of interest.

If we run the "Limited" motor rule, I'll bring a FE Tunnel. Let's do the math - Grim + Dunny = 2. :lol:
JD

Dunny,

You will have to educate me, and others, on the limited rule and other class designations. We must go after those classes that will have the greatest amount of interest.
Darin Jordan provided me with the rules their group is using for FE "P-Spec "Tunnel:

1. Legal NAMBA tunnel hull up to 34" in length. IMPBA and NAMBA have basically the same tunnel hull rules.

2. Battery - lipos 4S or 12 cell packs - the lipos are much superior

3. Motor - either the SV 27 or Black Jact 26 power system

Pretty simple.

JD

I have had an interest in an FE tunnel also but with so many options out there I have not wanted to buy the wrong equipment. From what Jerry has reffered to working out there maybe Charleston can add to the trend setting they already have successfully done and guide in a new class. I like the limitations on engines and batteries that seem readily availiable. Grim could give us a better picture there. Count me in on that one also.

Mic

Check out my post on # 49 above. Seems like we can possibly do 2 FE classes as I noted in the post. The Spec class Jerry described can be one. What could be the other? A possible Open FE? Or a battery and power limit to another class?

Help me out with it.

Check out my post on # 49 above. Seems like we can possibly do 2 FE classes as I noted in the post. The Spec class Jerry described can be one. What could be the other? A possible Open FE? Or a battery and power limit to another class?
Help me out with it.
I do not see anything wrong with 2 FE classes if there is interest but to just run the same boats like was done in open class will again be redundant. Build an FE and you get to run two classes? I would like to see an open or run what you brung class but only if you could not run the same hull and engine in two classes. IE a 45 tunnel could run either D tunnel or Open tunnel. To run the same hull you would need to change to a different displacement powerhead to qualify. Open could include Nitro,Gas & FE giving them all a chance at bragging rights. This keeps classes from getting overrun with boats just wanting to run more. This event that does bring out the best of the best.

Mic

If you are going to do two classes, I'd recommend something like this.

1) Spec OPC Tunnel - rules like Jerry described above... This class will have the biggest bang for the buck and is a lot of fun and very competitive. Hulls would range from 26-34", with TS-2, VS1, or any other hull up to about 30" or so... NAMBA FE "P" Power specs, with 4S1P being the best choice... You'll want at 4000-5000 mah pack sizes to make 6-laps on the 1/6th mile safely, which is how we ran it at the 2008 FE Nats... LOADS of fun...

2) P-OPC Tunnel - In an more "open" format, 4S2P sized lipos will be needed... but will provide MORE than enough power to propel a 34" tunnel to well over 50mph... Full blown "P" power would actually fair better with .45 or 7.5 sized hulls, but we've done it in 30" hulls and they are still very raceable... The TS-2s start getting crazy at these speeds, but any of your 3.5 mod sized tunnels would be up to the task if they'll hold the cells... there are all kinds of motor choices out there for a class like this. It's going to be about $300-$400 more to build a competitive boat... maybe even a tad more depending on how you go about it... but they will blow your minds as to how fast they go when setup properely... You could go even bigger and use more battery, like maybe powering it with "Q" specs, which is 6S Lipos... You might be able to get away without paralleling these if you choose motors correctly, which would be purchasing two less cells, but the motor and controller would have to be higher voltage capable, so this might be a wash... I'd want at least a 36" or even larger hull to handle this kind of power...

Like I said previously, I think 4S is as big as one needs to go for battery power. It fits into the hull, and can easily be configured with FE power to race in the mid to upper 50s... quite easily actually...

The spec class, however, is the best bang for your buck, and I think you'll be impressed with the performance of these boats, even with the cheap motors and ESCs... A setup like this can compete quite handily against all but the very fastest 3.5s from what we've experienced... they are basically ALWAYS "on the pipe"! ;)

Here's a video clip from our last race weekend... The first place boat (White w/ Black) is Brian Buaas with a TS-3, the second place boat (RED) is Greg Schweers with a TS-2, and the third place boat there (White) is Lohring Miller with an older LeeCraft hull (I think that's what it was)... I was out, having flipped my WoodStuff 28 in the two previous heats and deciding that I'd like to get some video to share with all of you instead! :D

If you are going to do two classes, I'd recommend something like this.
1) Spec OPC Tunnel - rules like Jerry described above... This class will have the biggest bang for the buck and is a lot of fun and very competitive. Hulls would range from 26-34", with TS-2, VS1, or any other hull up to about 30" or so... NAMBA FE "P" Power specs, with 4S1P being the best choice... You'll want at 4000-5000 mah pack sizes to make 6-laps on the 1/6th mile safely, which is how we ran it at the 2008 FE Nats... LOADS of fun...

2) P-OPC Tunnel - In an more "open" format, 4S2P sized lipos will be needed... but will provide MORE than enough power to propel a 34" tunnel to well over 50mph... Full blown "P" power would actually fair better with .45 or 7.5 sized hulls, but we've done it in 30" hulls and they are still very raceable... The TS-2s start getting crazy at these speeds, but any of your 3.5 mod sized tunnels would be up to the task if they'll hold the cells... there are all kinds of motor choices out there for a class like this. It's going to be about $300-$400 more to build a competitive boat... maybe even a tad more depending on how you go about it... but they will blow your minds as to how fast they go when setup properely... You could go even bigger and use more battery, like maybe powering it with "Q" specs, which is 6S Lipos... You might be able to get away without paralleling these if you choose motors correctly, which would be purchasing two less cells, but the motor and controller would have to be higher voltage capable, so this might be a wash... I'd want at least a 36" or even larger hull to handle this kind of power...

Like I said previously, I think 4S is as big as one needs to go for battery power. It fits into the hull, and can easily be configured with FE power to race in the mid to upper 50s... quite easily actually...

The spec class, however, is the best bang for your buck, and I think you'll be impressed with the performance of these boats, even with the cheap motors and ESCs... A setup like this can compete quite handily against all but the very fastest 3.5s from what we've experienced... they are basically ALWAYS "on the pipe"! ;)

Here's a video clip from our last race weekend... The first place boat (White w/ Black) is Brian Buaas with a TS-3, the second place boat (RED) is Greg Schweers with a TS-2, and the third place boat there (White) is Lohring Miller with an older LeeCraft hull (I think that's what it was)... I was out, having flipped my WoodStuff 28 in the two previous heats and deciding that I'd like to get some video to share with all of you instead! :D

Darin,

Very good info and sounds like the Spec would be the way to go for a start. Would not want to require # 2 to be just lipos. What would the non-lipo equivalent battery packs be? Looking for power supplies of several types to be eligible to run.

John

Latest posts

Back