2006 IMPBA NATS REPORT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

Today was perfect open water tons of boats and the bouys survived with no kills. Great day more tomorrow.. Oh and the .18 Miss Vegas boats look like a big hit!!!!!! Day 2 saw perfect water all was fine till 5:40 when a wind storm blew in. Wow what a mess after a rain shower ,all is fine now but may get more bad weather tomorrow.Thanks to all that have supported this race,we earn our keep tomorrow 130 heats Sunday and Monday HAPPY FATHERS DAY toy ALL DADS on IW....Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
What's with the DQ's? Is that for hitting a boat or has noise been an issue? I see several on the Internats results page.

http://impba14.org/2006%20Internats%20Webs...g%20Results.htm
I would be more suspect of the DQ's being from hitting or knocking a boat out. :blink:
Some of both,a lot of guys are having problems staying below the 92 db limit. 2 BOATS HAVE BEEN DQ AND SEVERAL MORE HAD AT LEAST ONE WARNING. guys its in the rule book and we have tried hard to follow the rules,big bore motors are harder to keep quiet. Give the distinction of the first boater ever to be tossed at a internats to Rod Geraghty. At least he took it well and understands the importance of this rule....Mike

What's with the DQ's? Is that for hitting a boat or has noise been an issue? I see several on the Internats results page.

I would be more suspect of the DQ's being from hitting or knocking a boat out. :blink:
Some of both,a lot of guys are having problems staying below the 92 db limit. 2 BOATS HAVE BEEN DQ AND SEVERAL MORE HAD AT LEAST ONE WARNING. guys its in the rule book and we have tried hard to follow the rules,big bore motors are harder to keep quiet. Give the distinction of the first boater ever to be tossed at a internats to Rod Geraghty. At least he took it well and understands the importance of this rule....Mike
Wow, Rod Geraghty DQ'd out of a class on noise violation........ Well times are changing & if we want to keep our beloved hobby alive we need to quiet these things down. They've been doing it in Eurpoe for years under NAVIGA rules & we can also, just ask John Finch. His gas sport hydro runs about 82dB & he is generally out front of everyone else. The sound of the water slapping off the sponsons is louder than the motor going down the front straight. B)

Some of both,a lot of guys are having problems staying below the 92 db limit. 2 BOATS HAVE BEEN DQ AND SEVERAL MORE HAD AT LEAST ONE WARNING. guys its in the rule book and we have tried hard to follow the rules,big bore motors are harder to keep quiet. Give the distinction of the first boater ever to be tossed at a Internats to Rod Geraghty. At least he took it well and understands the importance of this rule....Mike
Wow, Rod Geraghty DQ'd out of a class on noise violation........ Well times are changing & if we want to keep our beloved hobby alive we need to quiet these things down. They've been doing it in Eurpoe for years under NAVIGA rules & we can also, just ask John Finch. His gas sport hydro runs about 82dB & he is generally out front of everyone else. The sound of the water slapping off the sponsons is louder than the motor going down the front straight. B)
Don, before you go shaking your finger at these people that got DQ'd you may want to run one of your boats here and make sure it passes. People are running mufflers on muffled pipes and still not passing. An entire heat of 60 hydros didn't pass.

Don, we got big problem in Evansville. Boats that were within limits at last year NATS and have been within the limit in Huntsville as measured by the IMPBA Tech Director are not legal in Evansville. Lets see how many Twins and F monos are DQd today. It is time to change the rule again.

Don, before you go shaking your finger at these people that got DQ'd you may want to run one of your boats here and make sure it passes. People are running mufflers on muffled pipes and still not passing. An entire heat of 60 hydros didn't pass.
There isn't any finger shaking going on here Joe, rather some surprise (how the F did you come up with finger shaking from my post anyway?) especially that Rod got a noise DQ & he is an advocate of noise control. Next question has anyone run another dB meter against the one being used to be sure of it's accuracy since 92dB is not that hard to meet based on 3 years of testing I've done at many different locations. :unsure:

And as for mufflers added to muffled pipes, John Finch did some testing on this earlier in the year & found it actually increased the dB level in some instances, go figure......... :blink:

For some reason I can’t see the results using the above link. The link works because it is taking me to the results page on the impba14.org website, but I am not seeing any points or DQ’s. Does anyone have a different link I can try?

Thanks

Mike

Oh and what was the out come of 40 hydro?

:blink:

For some reason I can’t see the results using the above link. The link works because it is taking me to the results page on the impba14.org website, but I am not seeing any points or DQ’s. Does anyone have a different link I can try?

Thanks

Mike

Oh and what was the out some of 40 hydro?

:blink:

Same thing happened to me. .When you get to that page, hit refresh and the scores through 3 rounds of the Sunday/Monday classes will appear.

Charley

There isn't any finger shaking going on here Joe, rather some surprise (how the F did you come up with finger shaking from my post anyway?) especially that Rod got a noise DQ & he is an advocate of noise control. Next question has anyone run another dB meter against the one being used to be sure of it's accuracy since 92dB is not that hard to meet based on 3 years of testing I've done at many different locations. :unsure:

And as for mufflers added to muffled pipes, John Finch did some testing on this earlier in the year & found it actually increased the dB level in some instances, go figure......... :blink:
Wow. That is incredible that a B mono didn't make the 92 DB. The F's and Twins are really gonna have a hard time huh.

Wow. That is incredible that a B mono didn't make the 92 DB. The F's and Twins are really gonna have a hard time huh.
This is why I asked if there is another meter available to compare to as this seems odd. Also what measuring weight scale is being used, A or C?? (it's supposed to be A weighted fast response) Two weeks ago @ the Scalemasters race site the pond is only 220 feet across & there is a 50-60 foot earthen & rock wall entirely along the back of the course right at the water's edge. This wall leads up to a shopping center parking lot and it rises almost vertical, there is nowhere for the sound to go but right back at you. There was only one boat that went over 92dB the entire weekend & that was a Quickdraw powered mono that a guy was just running for the heck of it during a lull in open water. :blink:

Yes, the problem with Evansville lake is that it is surounded by concrete buildings. The sound is trapped.

Yes, the problem with Evansville lake is that it is surounded by concrete buildings. The sound is trapped.
But that will not increase the sound level, it just makes that site less forgiving. :ph34r: Mike was quite clear in a recent pre Nats post that they have to be very strict about noise to keep from losing this site-

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=150568

I'll agree there may be some bumps in the path be we can do this. B)

But that will not increase the sound level, it just makes that site less forgiving. :ph34r: Mike was quite clear in a recent pre Nats post that they have to be very strict about noise to keep from losing this site-

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=150568

I'll agree there may be some bumps in the path be we can do this. B)
Don,

They had two DB meter next to each other and were similar in readings. The DB readings of the the warned and DQ'ed boats were not usally more than 4 DB's over the limit.

The meters were set up according to the rule book. On Friday and Saturday boater were warned of their over the limit DB readings when they ran. Alot took action to correct this, some tried to change the outcome by slowing down comming out of five and six and keep it in lane one but still went over the limit.

At the driver meeting Sunday morning everyone was told that the IMPBA board members got together to discuss and decide on an action due to the complaints and the number of boaters that were over the DB threshold. The Board Member decided to enforce the rules as stated in the rule book.

These are my views and some will have more to add or contradict to the info above.

It was also stated that the DB meter were taken down to Huntsville for there spring race an alot of boater were also over the limit.

Steve

It was also stated that the DB meter were taken down to Huntsville for there spring race and alot of boaters were also over the limit.
Well now that puts an entirely different light on things. I'm glad the board showed some balls & stuck to the rule as written. I do not feel the board has authority to over-ride a rule put into place by it's voting membership, especially when it appears 90% of the boats that have run so far are within the rule. Not only would attempting that action be wrong, it would be rather unfair to those who made the efforts to be in compliance. For those who felt the sting of the dB meter, does it suck? Yup, sure does but as I've said we have to face this music sooner or later so let's deal with it now & move on. Sure there will be those who ***** about having to spend X amount of money on quieting the boats down but you can bet if you had something that you could guarantee those same people a 10mph speed increase they'd hand over whatever amount of cash needed without so much as blinking. :rolleyes:

Besides, I see Joe Warren ran well racing his 60 mono & if he can meet the noise rules with his monos then I think **** near anyone can! :p

Just havin' some fun Joe, best of luck to ya! :)

And after one round of twin hydro that just got posted I see no DQ's for noise. ;)

I just got a phone call from Mike Z at the lake. He stated that all the noise measurement regulations were being followed as per the rules and that more than 1 db meter was used to take measurements.

Don you are letting me down again!!!!

You will not see any DQs in round one. They were all (maybe) given a warning in round one. We are just gonna have to wait and see what round 2 does. All I can say is that I will be surprised if any Twin or F Mono running "TRD's" ... hanging from the stinger makes the the cut. I feel and symphatize for all those that prepared, got ready, and are spending resources (Dollars) in Evansville just to get DQd thanks to an unenforceable rule like the one we got. Don, I am heading to the Baseball field with my son now, what ever response you give to the above, I'll look at it later and respond accordingly.

Don, Mr. Brown is correct, in Evansville you have the Hampton Inn (8 floors) and Cracker Barrel a few yards of the back stretch, Fairfield Inn off 1,2,3 buoys, Red Roof Inn and another trilevel hotel on the front stretch and the Interstate off 4,5,6. How about that for a DB meter nightmare. What surprises me is that to my knowledge this "TRD" did not bubble up in any of the previous races in Evansville.

Don, Joe was never caught by the "Gestapo", you know what I mean.

Don you are letting me down again!!!!

You will not see any DQs in round one. They were all (maybe) given a warning in round one. We are just gonna have to wait and see what round 2 does. All I can say is that I will be surprised if any Twin or F Mono running "TRD's" ... hanging from the stinger makes the the cut. I feel and symphatize for all those that prepared, got ready, and are spending resources (Dollars) in Evansville just to get DQd thanks to an unenforceable rule like the one we got. Don, I am heading to the Baseball field with my son now, what ever response you give to the above, I'll look at it later and respond accordingly.

Don, Mr. Brown is correct, in Evansville you have the Hampton Inn (8 floors) and Cracker Barrel a few yards of the back stretch, Fairfield Inn off 1,2,3 buoys, Red Roof Inn and another trilevel hotel on the front stretch and the Interstate off 4,5,6. How about that for a DB meter nightmare. What surprises me is that to my knowledge this "TRD" did not bubble up in any of the previous races in Evansville.

Don, Joe was never caught by the "Gestapo", you know what I mean.
I thought numerous warnings were given @ open water? :huh:

All those buildings you speak of will not amplify the sound, only make it a less "forgiving" site with no "escape". :eek:

It sounds like the rule is being enforced so I'm confused by the "unenforceable' sentence. :blink:

Yeah it sucks but this fiddle would have to get played sometime. I'm really curious about how there are those who months back were told they were over the limit in Huntsville....... :ph34r:

Obviously since I know what pipes you run (unless you've changed since Atlanta) you are "prepared". You & I both know that alot of those TRD's hanging off the ends of pipes are jokes anyway. Maybe now people will start to use ones that actually work. <_<

And had I been able to attend this year rest assured I would have been **** certain everything was below the dB limit before the first boat got loaded in the trailer as opposed to travelling all that way, "winging" it & hoping not to get caught. B)

Back