!/2 Mill start's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want to impliment 1/2 mill starts?

• yes

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • no

Votes: 42 63.6%

• Total voters
Here in dist. 19 namba we have been useing the 1/2 mill start for well over 10 yrs. with great success. And yes it is an option.

Don :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems here....havent seen a collision yet....not that it cant happen...fact is due to very nature of what we boat crazies do, an accident can happen anytime, anywhere..sometimes not even on the water!! :rolleyes:

Guys,

I think it is for people who cannot get on the clock.

It also presents a possible problem in the back straight.

More work for the pit boss too.

I just prefer the old way: full race laps. :D

Just My Opinion,

Mark Sholund

OK, shoot me as I briefly brought up the 1/2 mill talk in here as it was also brought up in the thread over at Jim's.

To me, this is one of the differences that made me want to join the IMPBA as I don't like the 1/2 mill start format. OK, that and there is like one NAMBA club around here and they do electric only.

I was a strongly against it till i tried it i love it now th person that has the full mill has the right away and if we are good racers which i think we are you give him the right away, i thought there be alot of crashes and who knows what but havent seen one yet.

absolutely positively no......i will not race where they use the this.

Steve- Not racing at a race where it is used is about the most hard headed statement I have heard.

YOU HAVE THE OPTION of just saying NO when the cd asks- simple.

If your reasoning is because your afraid your gonna get wrecked- as Bill stated above-I have yet to see a wreck happen due to it.

If there is another reason , I sure would like to hear it?

At events where it is in place- nobody forces you to use it.....

The only downside (if there is one) that I see , is now that Im running in a larger class-full heats the norm- it allows guys that may not have been able to get on the clock real good do so. Thus resulting in a little more crowded first turn and at times with less experienced racers.

Andy

Guys,

Just My Opinion,

Mark Sholund
While i totally respect your opinion, 1) most of the guys ive seen use the half mill start are among some of the best at getting on the clock using the full mill clock..2)ive seen as many people blow a perfectly good start using a half mill start, myself included because we all want to get to the first turn first! Thats just boat racing....with a full turn and half a front straight to the start line there is still plenty of time screw up a perfectly good start.Ive seen no more chaos in the back straight with either type of mill..how does it make more work for the pit boss? Its not like i use it everytime but it is nice to have the option and the starts that ive seen are more consisent and make for better racing...all that being said if half mill starts were banned id still go racin anyway cause half mill or full mill its still FUN!

Guys,

Just My Opinion,

Mark Sholund
While i totally respect your opinion, 1) most of the guys ive seen use the half mill start are among some of the best at getting on the clock using the full mill clock..2)ive seen as many people blow a perfectly good start using a half mill start, myself included because we all want to get to the first turn first! Thats just boat racing....with a full turn and half a front straight to the start line there is still plenty of time screw up a perfectly good start.Ive seen no more chaos in the back straight with either type of mill..how does it make more work for the pit boss? Its not like i use it everytime but it is nice to have the option and the starts that ive seen are more consisent and make for better racing...all that being said if half mill starts were banned id still go racin anyway cause half mill or full mill its still FUN!

No offense Mark, but I really wanted to know about that one too- by the time the half mill comes into play- the pit boss better have had the next heat checked in and the cd calling for the next 2 heats in line to make their way to the pits :huh:

As previously stated, the only down side I have is-(running mixed with gas boats in open mono only) is the ability to get on the clock better than a newer racer.....

other than that- I have no objections and the race can be run a little faster, anyone that works a race will agree- the faster we are done on Sunday and get the racers that have a ride home in front of them on the road the better.

Andy

In IMPBA, I hope it never happens. NAMBA has it, or some combination of full and 1/2, with a side order of 30 second clock. I've been a member of both for many years, if I run NAMBA, guess I'll have to deal with it. In the Northeast, most of the big races are IMPBA, 1/2 mill don't want it....... B)

too many boats cut in half.no namba where we run anyway, so it's really a non issue for me. as far as getting on the clock thats the job of your helper to tell you what to do to hit the start right, thats what works for us anyway

While i certainly respect anyones opinion who is against half mill starts, i am having some difficulty understanding the reasoning...which leads me to ask the question for those against em...have those who are against it actually raced in a heat or heats using a half mill start or a heat with 30 seconds takin off of the clock? I think that this is a really good discussion either way...perhaps the reason why it sounds like im such a proponent of it is because i too had negative feelings about the subject until i actually experienced it in an actual race and found how utterly wrong i was about it...also the fact is that ive been run over more than once in 25 years during a full mill start....as im sure lots of others have too! Again i think its just the nature of the beast...Andy in Open Mono its a crap shoot no matter what kind of start is used...When im done with Tom in Open Mono or Hydro, Man im SHOT!! :lol: :rolleyes:

I was a strongly against it till i tried it i love it now th person that has the full mill has the right away and if we are good racers which i think we are you give him the right away, i thought there be alot of crashes and who knows what but havent seen one yet.
Hi, this all goes back to 'sportsmanship", but as we all know, mistakes happen even to the most seasoned vetrans.as for more work for the pit boss- B/S! get a co-pit boss, do give the bull about not enough people.been to a million races where we took a person with half a brain and good eye sight and they helped out and things were smooth as silk!! bottom line is we are all racing for fun and a dead peice of tree! GROW UP PEOPLE!! :D

While i certainly respect anyones opinion who is against half mill starts, i am having some difficulty understanding the reasoning...which leads me to ask the question for those against em...have those who are against it actually raced in a heat or heats using a half mill start or a heat with 30 seconds takin off of the clock?
Yup sure have and CD'd races using it too and as far as I'm concerned you can keep it. And not to start another side track but since you brought it up, the go to 30 seconds is not legal in IMPBA by rulebook definition -

IMPBA rulebook section G Contest and Racing Rules-

4. Re-Starts, Re-Runs and Heat Delays

a. Under normal conditions, re-starts and re-runs will not be allowed.

However, if one or more boats is rendered out of control before the start or

during the course of the race and cannot be shut down, the Referee, in the

interest of safety, will call all of the boats still running back to the pits. The

heat will be re-run in the same round with all of the boats that were still

running, except for the boat or boats that caused the heat to be stopped.

Boats that were dead will not be allowed to re-start.

b. Delay or cancellation of Pit Time will not be allowed under any

circumstances other than course problems, and shall be called by the proper

contest official

And the definition of Pit Time-

3. Heat Racing Rules

a. Pit Time

1. A Pit Time of two minutes is allowed for the starting of all engines and to

allow all boats to be launched.

2. If no entrants have started engines and are under way at the expiration of Pit

Time, the heat shall be declared "No Contest". It will not be rescheduled.

absolutely positively no......i will not race where they use the this.

Steve- Not racing at a race where it is used is about the most hard headed statement I have heard.

YOU HAVE THE OPTION of just saying NO when the cd asks- simple.

If your reasoning is because your afraid your gonna get wrecked- as Bill stated above-I have yet to see a wreck happen due to it.

If there is another reason , I sure would like to hear it?

At events where it is in place- nobody forces you to use it.....

The only downside (if there is one) that I see , is now that Im running in a larger class-full heats the norm- it allows guys that may not have been able to get on the clock real good do so. Thus resulting in a little more crowded first turn and at times with less experienced racers.

Andy
Andy If 1/2 mil Cutting threw the middle exiting the back stretch is cool with you???? Maybe they should legalize you coming from the back stretch to the front?? Still 1/2 mill.....?? If all of this sounds Stupid to you?? Well legal 1/2 mill does too to Most of Us in IMPBA !! 1/2 lap mill is for boaters that cannot get on the Clock .. You tell me the benfit of 1/2 mill in NAMBA? :unsure: jw

While i certainly respect anyones opinion who is against half mill starts, i am having some difficulty understanding the reasoning...which leads me to ask the question for those against em...have those who are against it actually raced in a heat or heats using a half mill start or a heat with 30 seconds takin off of the clock?
Yup sure have and CD'd races using it too and as far as I'm concerned you can keep it. And not to start another side track but since you brought it up, the go to 30 seconds is not legal in IMPBA by rulebook definition -

IMPBA rulebook section G Contest and Racing Rules-

4. Re-Starts, Re-Runs and Heat Delays

a. Under normal conditions, re-starts and re-runs will not be allowed.

However, if one or more boats is rendered out of control before the start or

during the course of the race and cannot be shut down, the Referee, in the

interest of safety, will call all of the boats still running back to the pits. The

heat will be re-run in the same round with all of the boats that were still

running, except for the boat or boats that caused the heat to be stopped.

Boats that were dead will not be allowed to re-start.

b. Delay or cancellation of Pit Time will not be allowed under any

circumstances other than course problems, and shall be called by the proper

contest official

And the definition of Pit Time-

3. Heat Racing Rules

a. Pit Time

1. A Pit Time of two minutes is allowed for the starting of all engines and to

allow all boats to be launched.

2. If no entrants have started engines and are under way at the expiration of Pit

Time, the heat shall be declared "No Contest". It will not be rescheduled.

Welp i guess i just got set straight....yessiree!! :)

Why does one have to participate in a half mill race, or with the 30 second clock thing, to have an opinion? Put quite simply, half mill gives an advantage to the person who did not do a good job managing the clock. At the same time, it penalizes those who were not as good at managing the clock when those who were off the clock cut a half lap and get with the pack. So, in response, I think many of us have "some difficulty understanding the reasoning" why people would enact rules that would benefit the person who did not manage time well at the expense of those who did.

Welp i guess i just got set straight....yessiree!! :)
Oppps, I forgot the smilie faces so you'd know I posted it in a nice way. LOL!! :) :) :)
Its good to be nice! :) Sometimes i try to be a nice guy just out of pure spite than for no other good reason!! I dunno Don..maybe ill change my tune after one of my boats gets hit because of a half mill start or even worse, i hit and damage someone else,s boat! To this point it simply hasnt happened.........yet. As i said before, this has been ,i think a very good discussion..wasnt tryin to get anyone upset..just a difference of opinion.

Latest posts

Back