1991 Winston eagle, legal for scale?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will chime in here

Ferrette is correct about the rules. I helped write those rules and various modifications. The lines above were passed a few years ago and should be in the rulebook.

Brian

When I said I wanted to build and paint the boat so that I could run it in either early configuration, I've was told both "No problem" and "It's not legal"
When in doubt refer to the rulebook. One guy is right and one is wrong period.

My post wasn't looking for a right/wrong, just pointing out that rules that seem totally clear to the person writing them can be "twisted" by someone else's interpretation and opinions. I see this at work on a regular basis on written tests, the one writing the tests see's the question and answers as B&W while the one's taking it see them in shades of grey

Last edited by a moderator:
Only was ever involved building one Dumas Miller for a friend in San Diego.
er... is there something wrong with that hull?
it was the quality of timber refered to re the dumas miller.
I've found the 3/32 mahogany in the kits(not 1/8 as described in the included paperwork) to be a very poor quality and extremely brittle. The grain is so course that it requires some serious filling before you can even think about putting on a finish. I also not a fan of laminated stress bearing parts, in this case, the right sponson and rear transoms as designed into the kit using the previously mentioned mahogany. This, IMHO, is a flaw in all of the Dumas hydroplane kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
BINGO !!! Here we go yet AGAIN !!!

I'm starting to see a faint image of the 8910 painted as Smokin' Joes surfacing from the abyss also - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

BINGO !!! Here we go yet AGAIN !!!

I'm starting to see a faint image of the 8910 painted as Smokin' Joes surfacing from the abyss also - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob
LMAO!!
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I have a stupid question. If a rule aint in the "rule book" then how are we supposed to abide by it? Oh, and another, if a guy is abiding by the "spirit of the rules as long as there aint no performance gain (like unusual cowl or paint scheme) shouldent that guy be able to compete? Arnt we all about advancing the sport? Shouldent there be some common sence wiggle room?

I have a stupid question. If a rule aint in the "rule book" then how are we supposed to abide by it? Oh, and another, if a guy is abiding by the "spirit of the rules as long as there aint no performance gain (like unusual cowl or paint scheme) shouldent that guy be able to compete? Arnt we all about advancing the sport? Shouldent there be some common sence wiggle room?
Wes, My thoughts exactly,,, if it's not in the "Rule Book" it DOES NOT EXSIST.... One should NOT have to look back through old roostertails to FIND the current rules

I have asked for a set of the CURRENT rules since moving to Georgia and Re-Becoming and IMPBA member 5 years ago,,, and all I am told is the Rule Book will be updated soon...

If the boat is listed in the MHR. I feel the boat should be legal to build and run. BS on the, "boat must have qualified at a sanctioned event" Horse "CRAP"

These are my thoughts,,,, and I'm sticking to them!

(like unusual cowl or paint scheme) Wes we race scale boats that looked like the real one. If we allow you to run a pok a dot paint job that was not correct or a clown face cowl on a boat that never ran that way we have lost the intent of the scale class.

I was curious to know if this Winston Eagle was legal to make. This is when Steve Woomer bought the circus hull and this is when it was testing I want to say tri cities? After reading the scale rules it seems like it would be legal so long as you have photo of the boat. I didn't see specs about scale was only legal if it qualified or raced. If I'm missing something let me know.
I'll simplify this matter, Its NOT a legal IMPBA Scale hull.

I get it's not a legal boat, just sharing some interesting pictures of the Winston. I'm not pressing the issue on trying to make an illegal boat.

Okay Guys, this is right out of the IMPBA rulebook posted on the IMPBA website. If there are any changes to said rule, I'm not looking for them as I'm approaching this like a new boater:

D. Engine and Boat Specifications
1. All models must be of a real unlimited hydroplane as listed in the APBA Master Hull Roster list. The model owner must show the real boat attempted to qualify, qualified or raced in an actual sanctioned racing event, in the configuration being modeled, via photographic and/or written documentation. Failure to adequately meet the validation requirements can result in the model not being allowed to compete in an IMPBA event until proper documentation is obtained.

And, from the NAMBA rulebook:

Boats must meet the following criteria to be placed on the Scale Unlimited
Hydroplane Master Hull Roster:
a. The full sized boat must have been registered with an unlimited hydroplane
racing association.

b. The registered boat must have made at least one verifiable test run in the
water.

Taking the above excerpts from the rulebooks at face value, IF I WAS A NEW BOATER, building a Dumas Circus kit and was looking at trying to register and race that version of the Winston (or for that matter, the U-50 American Spirit), I would be totally lost due to the fact that I wouldn't have a clue where or when pictures were taken. With the NAMBA rules, it's supposedly cut and dried, the Winston is on the water and appears to be returning to the dock. But is it really? Neither shot shows the boat up and running, giving a large dose of doubt on whether the Winston actually ran or is just a staged publicity picture. NIn the IMPBA rules, how is a new boater supposed to find a verifiable shot where there is a known date and location? Information on the internet can be more than questionable when it comes to the unlimiteds and, as we all know, photographers tend to have their favorite boats and tend to take more shots of said favorites than of the other boats, making documentation on some of the boats that much more difficult.

I get it's not a legal boat, just sharing some interesting pictures of the Winston. I'm not pressing the issue on trying to make an illegal boat.
Jason, NOT taking a swipe at you, but this can just go on and on, I have seen the pics you started this thread with, and also know the story behind them and how the cowl was reconfigured, early in this post, lets move on.

Back