1985 Budweiser

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott williamson

Hi all, im hoping someone can provide some info on the 1985 Budweiser please, im about to start building a 1.6 scale model of a boat my dad built for its Australian owner here in Melbourne in 1984. The boat was a Ron Jones design very similar to the Budweiser although the Aussie boat had a wider left sponson and a different cowl.From what I can tell the Bud sponsons are the same width left and right. Did this ever change?, I want to be able to build both hulls from the one mold but want to keep the scale dimensions,any advice or photos would be appreciated.thanks Scott

Looking at the center picture, the sponsons are not the same width, the left one is narrower than the right and the deck extends further out than on the right as well. You could probably get away with building the 85 Budweiser with a slightly modified cowl as the one on that boat looks to be the same except it may have a lower top profile, probably due to running a Merlin rather than a Griffon.

Hi he wants to know if the sponsons on the griffon boat or others of the same boat were non symmetrical or symmetrical so his molds can be utilized 2 ways based on the Aussie bud build.

I found an overhead shot of the Bud on the RC Boat Company website. It does show the left sponson is somewhat narrower than the right and that the right side decking extends further out than the left side.

http://www.rcboatco.com/sg8012h.html will get you to the page for that boat, then click on 1985 on the right side, it will give you an overhead shot to compare to. From what I can see, the deck overhang being mirrored is the only real difference between the two boats

Was just looking again, I was wrong on the Aussie boat, the deck width is the same outside the airtraps, the Bud has a larger right side than left

Hi all, im hoping someone can provide some info on the 1985 Budweiser please, im about to start building a 1.6 scale model of a boat my dad built for its Australian owner here in Melbourne in 1984. The boat was a Ron Jones design very similar to the Budweiser although the Aussie boat had a wider left sponson and a different cowl.From what I can tell the Bud sponsons are the same width left and right. Did this ever change?, I want to be able to build both hulls from the one mold but want to keep the scale dimensions,any advice or photos would be appreciated.thanks Scott
The 1985 bud was the Bubble Bud. It's outside sponson was 48" and the inside sponson was 38". They also ran the 8012 boat that year. It had symmetrical sponsons

Thanks for the responses everyone, I do have a set of the Newton plans for the 85 Budweiser ,apart from the paint scheme plan which probably would have helped. The bulkhead plan has both sponsons the same width.ive added a shot of my 1.8 scale Aussie bud that I made in 84 from the plans for the full size boat.Both the model and the real boat are long gone,the big boat only lasted about a year and was destroyed when it kited,the owner had hoped to take it to the U.S and compete in the gold cup .20140420_211552_opt.jpg20140316_094113_opt.jpg20140420_211155_opt.jpg

Latest posts

Back