1983 atlas van lines (dumas boat)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne middlemiss

hi all just want to ask about the reccomended changes to the dumas atlas hull 1/8 to make some improvements to it other than timber quality as ive heard this alot and know about , mainly asking questions on the sponson running surfaces ,air trap. & the benifits of the releif cutout in the strut area to which i think is more towards a hard shaft setup.

look forward to your replies.

I have the same kit on my building board and am making the following changes:

1. Omit the recess (cutout) in the strut area. Otherwise it would be very difficult to fit the Speedmaster type of rudder.

2. Omit the sponson riding surface air trap. This would effectively make the tunnel depth shallower.

3, Move the radio box to the front.

I am planning to build the rest of the boat stock per Dumas' instructions.

ok thanks for your input do appreciate it. i did think of the strut cutout in the same light as you re fitting gear on transom.

the sponson would have a ride surface so its the same all over???? did i read it right no primaries or secondries????

the airtrap im looking at changing to run it back a bit more towards the afterplane pad so in turn lessens the attack angle of the air trap??? so it would have a simalar setup per the miller american in some way.

When you write lessen the angle of attack on the airtrap Wayne do you mean to move the pressure point further back? A few of the builds I've looked at lately they seem to be going the other way with the back of the sponson being the break point. I'm not sure which is the way to go .My latest build I'm keeping the bottom flat until the back of the sponson then curving it up to the leading edge ,it gives a lot more room in the hull but does give a steeper angle at the front of the trap.

yes scott more to the rear of the boat as they have been scaled the same way you speak of to break just behind the sponsons, as you know those merlins are heavy.

I would like to share with you what I have done on my Atlas build. I have also done #1, #2, #3 in the previous post. I am using a front radio box for battery,receiver, and throttle servo and a rear box for rudder servo, will run the wire for the rudder thru the boat. I have also moved the engine forward from the stock Dumas location.

forumpics 001.jpg

forumpics 002.jpg

forumpics 003.jpg

forumpics 004.jpg

forumpics 005.jpg

forumpics 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back