1970 Pay n Pak twin engine -- what colors?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmeyers

Supporting Member
Here's an impossible task for you... I'm somewhat close to painting this boat in 1/8 scale, but the hue from most of the old pictures I have alters the colors so much that it's hard to tell if it was gold/red or gold/orange or something else.

Does anyone know what colors might be closest to the original?

Thanks!

Hi Scott, Brent Edinger has the cab rear version of the same boat he runs in UNW and it looks right from my recollection of the real boat. Might give him a call on paint codes (I will PM you his number).

it was painted a large metal flake gold with orange trim. It looked like a bass boat metal flake. There is a piece of the deck at the race boat museum. I will see if I can post a picture of it,

An even bigger question is whether the boat was painted with Imron or something else. If it's Imron, the paint was not formulated to need clear over the top, so I discovered when I took the color number off of the U-1 to a paint supply house a couple of weeks ago. The only reason I'm posting this is that the Home Street blue is Imron specific and might have to be done in a custom mix to be compatible with clear. At this time, I'm still doing some research about this compatibility question and, when I get a definitive answer, I'll put out my findings

here's some pictures of my 70 Pak, I always mix my own colors, I have had trouble with codes that don't look right, the motors are not right they are 392's they should be 426's, the 392 was the only thing I had to copy, the gold has a large grain look to it, the motors are vacu-formed styrene

John R.

DSCF1084.jpg

DSCF1085.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

Beautiful boat John. You did the motors yourself? That's really excellent! I have no clue how to do that. Fortunately I'm building a full cowling version and only need to create blower hats and headers

imron single stage can be clear coated over, just let it dry, scotch bright and clear, solid only . metallic will streak if scotch brighted over then cleared. ive never been afraid to put one light coat of imron clear over single stage while wet. let it dry, then move on by scotch brighting clear and moving on with what I was doing next.

thanks Scott, yes I made the molds myself, then had a friend of mine vac-form them, he was doing 1/8 scale Allison's at the time, he has sense passed away and I bought his vac-former and his molds, the molds are ease to make, I had a 292 hemi at the time and just copied it in 1/8 scale in wood, the header are made out of 1/4" aluminum tube, it's hard to bend till you aneal it first, heat with a propane torch and dunk in cold water, it will bend like butter

hope this helps

John R.

Stopped by the HARM today and found the piece of Pak decking is actually screwed to the wall so, unfortunately, it's not coming down any time soon.

I also got a verification on the large gold metal flake paint. It has a very different look to the metallic gold used on the Bud boats over the years, for those that were considering using a standard metallic.

One little FYI, the Pak has paint on it. The hull has been painted white as well as sporting the orange and black stripes and lettering, the nose and cockpit are just white, for now anyway.

If nobody has the correct code just go to a paint store and try to match it up to something close.

Thanks guys. One has shared what is believed to be the correct codes, others have had great ideas. Graphics have arrived now from Mike so I'm going to match those for the orange. For the Gold I'll do my best, though I won't use the huge metal flake.... It's a scale boat, so I'll be scaling the metal flake down too!

here's some pictures of my 70 Pak, I always mix my own colors, I have had trouble with codes that don't look right, the motors are not right they are 392's they should be 426's, the 392 was the only thing I had to copy, the gold has a large grain look to it, the motors are vacu-formed styrene

John R.

John , where did you get the gauges in the 3rd pic ? or how did you do them ??

Scott, not sure if you got the colors worked out but here's what I used for the 1971 Pak.

Deltron DBC 25213 Disney metallic gold (not cheap)

For the orange I matched the color on the deck hanging on the wall at the museum and used Krylon Chevrolet Red-Orange

Brent

Thanks Brent,

I had the paint shop match the orange to the graphics. I suspect the original boat used "Hemi orange" from the period, but a custom mix was needed to match perfectly.

The gold also became my own creation as we attempted to match all of the pictures I'd gathered as closely as possible. I've got the codes and enough left to shoot it 2 -3 times if ever needed!

20161017_181644.jpg

Back