.12 Texan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, here are a few pictures of my latest .12 hydros (can you guess which one is Donna's?). The green one is built with a wire drive and the pink one is built with a cable. Note the motor in the wire drive boat is mounted at an angle to get a single bend in the stuffing box while the cable boat motor is mounted flat to get an "S" bend in the stuffing box. Both boats weight about 1lb 14oz RTR.

Glenn

12 hyd wiredrive.jpg12 hyd radiobox.jpg12 hyd wiredrive 2.jpg12 hyd front.jpg12 hyd cabledrive.jpg

very nice boats Glenn.i bet yours is pink :lol: :lol: :lol: Donna's is green.are you going to make a cowling like you use to make on your 21 texan?

thanks again for setting me up with everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice boats Glenn.i bet yours is pink :lol: :lol: :lol: Donna's is green.are you going to make a cowling like you use to make on your 21 texan?

thanks again for setting me up with everything.

WW, thanks. I'm not sure what kind of cowling I'm going to build yet...

Glenn

Glenn they look great. Have you considered using Walt Barney's custom fit stainless steel tanks on them.

Also what hardware did you use.

Byron

Glenn they look great. Have you considered using Walt Barney's custom fit stainless steel tanks on them.

Also what hardware did you use.

Byron
Byron. I make my own steel tanks (although not quite as nice as Walt's). The strut is one of Andy Brown's new mini struts and the rudder is a Speedmaster mini with the blade cut off and a knife blade put on.

Glenn

Glenn , Good looking Hull. Love them sponsons. the glare of the table makes it hard to get a look at the rudder& strut. I noticed the carbon fiber material , where can a person get that? how thick is the material ? also epoxy or resin .

Glenn , Good looking Hull. Love them sponsons. the glare of the table makes it hard to get a look at the rudder& strut. I noticed the carbon fiber material , where can a person get that? how thick is the material ? also epoxy or resin .
Neil, the strut is one of CMDI's new mini struts and the rudder is a Speedmaster Mini with the blade cut off and a new blade made out of a knife. I put a lot of work in getting the drive line very free on these small boats. On this boat with the entire drive line RTR I can turn the prop so the piston is off of bottom dead center and when I turn loose it will turn and rock back to BDC. The bearings in the motor are the custom ceramics I sell and the strut also uses ball bearings.

The carbon side are actually a carbon/foam/carbon composite 1/8" thick. I have a frind that makes it for me, but have also got some from Aerospace Composites.

Glenn

:ph34r: Use 1/8" Music solid rod or .150 solid rod for cable driive ??? :blink:
Allan, the wire drive is 1/16" wire, the cable I use is .130" with a .125" stubshaft.

Glenn
Wow very small good enough strong?? what size of prop?? :blink:
Allan, yes it is pretty strong. I have run over 81 mph with a wire drive in my .12 SAW boat. It has taken a while to learn exactly how to make the wires so they hold up. I run a 1440 in the heat racing boats seen here and 2137/3 in my SAW boats.

Glenn

Neil, the strut is one of CMDI's new mini struts and the rudder is a Speedmaster Mini with the blade cut off and a new blade made out of a knife. I put a lot of work in getting the drive line very free on these small boats. On this boat with the entire drive line RTR I can turn the prop so the piston is off of bottom dead center and when I turn loose it will turn and rock back to BDC. The bearings in the motor are the custom ceramics I sell and the strut also uses ball bearings.

The carbon side are actually a carbon/foam/carbon composite 1/8" thick. I have a frind that makes it for me, but have also got some from Aerospace Composites.

Glenn
So am I reading this right that CMDI's new mini strut uses ball bearings or is this a modification?

Glenn
So am I reading this right that CMDI's new mini strut uses ball bearings or is this a modification?
It is a mod.

Glenn

Glenn

Have you ever tried the 1/8 Carbon fiber / end grain balsa? Very strong for sides! I also use ball bearings on one of my boats. Custon Made.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great Glenn B)

Far cry from this old girl -

Sorry for a stupid question , but why so much right hand offset in the drivelines ?

Andy

GC - RIGGER Valdosta .jpg

Looking great Glenn B)

Far cry from this old girl -

Sorry for a stupid question , but why so much right hand offset in the drivelines ?

Andy
Hey Andy, the offset is to get more space between the prop and the rudder. I also like a little more weight on the inside of the turns and it helps pipe mounting with the pipe right over the side instead of hanging out away from it.

It is cool seeing that picture of my old SAW boat, actually that has been my fastest with many passes over 80...thanks!

Glenn

Back