.12 riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Leyde

Club Racer
I must be the worlds worst .12 tuner. :angry: I spend the day at the pond and got really frustrated with these things. Not so much the set up of them. Just getting them to run and stay running. I got one almost good enough run in with my son's .12 FF. It was running faster than my other sons 3.5 sport tunnel. So I brought it in to give her a tweak. Went to fire her up again and noticed the plug was fried. Changed the plug then fought with it to get it to run again. Got it fired up but could not get it back on the pipe :angry: I understand what's to lean and what's to rich. But when they just won't fire up on the stand I don't get it. :( Any one want to tried a 21 rigger for a .12????????? They have got to be easier to tune than the .12's. Maybe I'm just a Dumas with these little motors. :huh: :rolleyes: :huh: :angry: :( ;)

Sorry just needed to vent. :D I'm better now.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be the worlds worst .12 tuner. :angry: I spend the day at the pond and got really frustrated with these things. Not so much the set up of them. Just getting them to run and stay running. I got one almost good enough run in with my son's .12 FF. It was running faster than my other sons 3.5 sport tunnel. So I brought it in to give her a tweak. Went to fire her up again and noticed the plug was fried. Changed the plug then fought with it to get it to run again. Got it fired up but could not get it back on the pipe :angry: I understand what's to lean and what's to rich. But when they just won't fire up on the stand I don't get it. :( Any one want to tried a 21 rigger for a .12????????? They have got to be easier to tune than the .12's. Maybe I'm just a Dumas with these little motors. :huh: :rolleyes: :huh: :angry: :( ;)

Mark
Mark, did you run at the Nichols Rd pond?

Mark
Mark, did you run at the Nichols Rd pond?

Yes I did. :D

Mark
When you say you brought in and gave it a "tweak" I guess you mean that you leaned it? If so you have definately gone too far, because it was already too lean on the previous run. That's why the plug was "fried".

A "too lean" engine is very hard to start, especially if the carb has a Low speed needle, because it is starved for fuel. And lastly, "too lean" kills low end torque. That's why it wouldn't get on pipe again.

A good habit to learn is to ALWAYS check the condition of the plug BEFORE making any needle changes, regardless of how well the boat may have been running on the previous run.

Richen it up and take it back to the pond..........21's are no more forgiving, so that won't help! ;)

What prop are you running? I found that on these little motors if the prop is too big it will burn the plug no matter how rich you run it. With mine I had to start small and go from there. I found mine liked an x632. The down side is I had to replace the shaft from .187(3/16) to .125(1/8) Hope this helps. Ryon

Running too much prop on a .12 will kill the plug every run. I've probably smoked 100 that way.The problem is that I can get the boat to run much faster with these props,.. just costs 5-8 a plug per run...

I'm thinking Glenn may have the answer with the NR .12 marine engines he's getting.

When you say you brought in and gave it a "tweak" I guess you mean that you leaned it? If so you have definately gone too far, because it was already too lean on the previous run. That's why the plug was "fried". A "too lean" engine is very hard to start, especially if the carb has a Low speed needle, because it is starved for fuel. And lastly, "too lean" kills low end torque. That's why it wouldn't get on pipe again.

A good habit to learn is to ALWAYS check the condition of the plug BEFORE making any needle changes, regardless of how well the boat may have been running on the previous run.

Richen it up and take it back to the pond..........21's are no more forgiving, so that won't help! ;)
Andy, The tweak was raising the strut just ever so slighty. If I run this 1/8th of a turn richer on the HSN it will never get on plane. When it was up on plane and on the pipe I had to keep it turning ever so slighty to keep her running real nice. If I staightend her out she would come down a few hundred rpm. the head tmp was 196 degrees when I brought it in. also to start this motor I needed to pinch the fuel line with the barrel almost closed to start it or it would flood out. I think I need to machine up some single needle carbs for these little things. or can a guy just remove the LSN and plug it with a setscrew and run it as a single needle carb?????

As for props I was running a Aquacraft 36X55 trimmed to 34.5mm barr back cut and tongues removed. The other was a X637 barr back cut and tongues removed.

Mark

Running too much prop on a .12 will kill the plug every run. I've probably smoked 100 that way.The problem is that I can get the boat to run much faster with these props,.. just costs 5-8 a plug per run...
I'm thinking Glenn may have the answer with the NR .12 marine engines he's getting.

That may be Anthony but the one motor that I was trying was a Picco .12 on road motorset to .012 squish with an OS 10M carb. This was on the Bantam. That motor should be able to pull a X637. Never got a chance to burn up a plug on that one. I started out rich and worked my way leaner. When I say rich if the motor did not start within the first couple of short burst on the starter it was loaded up.

Mark

That may be Anthony but the one motor that I was trying was a Picco .12 on road motorset to .012 squish with an OS 10M carb. This was on the Bantam. That motor should be able to pull a X637. Never got a chance to burn up a plug on that one. I started out rich and worked my way leaner. When I say rich if the motor did not start within the first couple of short burst on the starter it was loaded up.

Mark
Mark,

If you're running 50% nitro or more, squeeze the head down to .006". It will start much easier with that rich load of fuel and pull the prop better too.

196 is too hot. Get it down to 150 or less. This will allow you to run the head at .006".

Most .12 car engines have low transfer timing (110-115) It will work better if you get them up around 125 if you haven't already done so.

Mark,If you're running 50% nitro or more, squeeze the head down to .006". It will start much easier with that rich load of fuel and pull the prop better too.

196 is too hot. Get it down to 150 or less. This will allow you to run the head at .006".

Most .12 car engines have low transfer timing (110-115) It will work better if you get them up around 125 if you haven't already done so.
Thanks for the info Andy.

Mark

Mark,If you're running 50% nitro or more, squeeze the head down to .006". It will start much easier with that rich load of fuel and pull the prop better too.

Thanks for the info Andy.

Mark
as a bit of help maybe? i have a .12 rigger with a p5 os .12 turbo, converted to water cooling and a exhaust timing at 188 head clearence at .006 , and i use a third channel ferrette needle as well, we flowed the needle to 3.4 and found that to be the best setting , but i went through 3 plugs before we got there and found out we were wayyy to fat on the needle, i still even after that have a time to get it to fire and it is set pertty close, i have to plug off the pipe a touch while bumping it. dont know if this help but i run it on 70 percent as well. and my pipe is at 7.5 inches . is yours a new engine, because mine is still really tight and i am having a time getting it to start good , maybe it just needs to be ran a bit more?

as a bit of help maybe? i have a .12 rigger with a p5 os .12 turbo, converted to water cooling and a exhaust timing at 188 head clearence at .006 , and i use a third channel ferrette needle as well, we flowed the needle to 3.4 and found that to be the best setting , but i went through 3 plugs before we got there and found out we were wayyy to fat on the needle, i still even after that have a time to get it to fire and it is set pertty close, i have to plug off the pipe a touch while bumping it. dont know if this help but i run it on 70 percent as well. and my pipe is at 7.5 inches . is yours a new engine, because mine is still really tight and i am having a time getting it to start good , maybe it just needs to be ran a bit more?
Yes pinching of the pressure line helps with the starting of it.

Say Terminator, will you be attending the D6 chanpionships with your rigger this year? It would be cool if you could.

Mark

Say Terminator, will you be attending the D6 chanpionships with your rigger this year? It would be cool if you could.

Mark
i will sure try to , we are district 4 here and we have a club race on june 7th , i would like to have enough .12 riggers or a hydro.. make the class , when is your race ? i hope you get yours figured out really well as well. good luck

terry

Mark
i will sure try to , we are district 4 here and we have a club race on june 7th , i would like to have enough .12 riggers or a hydro.. make the class , when is your race ? i hope you get yours figured out really well as well. good luck

Oops, I assumed you raced in Dist 6 being that you lived in Iowa. Anyway are Dist champ race is June 28th.

Mark

terry

Mark

Oops, I assumed you raced in Dist 6 being that you lived in Iowa. Anyway are Dist champ race is June 28th.

Mark

terry
no biggie , in fact i probably should be district 6 but our club is outta milan illinois so it puts me in dist 4. we wil give it a try to make yours .. you outta come on down for ours as well , it will be a blast.

terry

Mark

Mark

terry
no biggie , in fact i probably should be district 6 but our club is outta milan illinois so it puts me in dist 4. we wil give it a try to make yours .. you outta come on down for ours as well , it will be a blast.

terry
I'll try and be there.

Mark

Mark

I am going to the Quad Cities Race, call me. The flyer I have lists the date as June 8TH not the 7TH.

Larry

763 607 1357

Last edited by a moderator:
After close inspection of the carb. I found a loose barrel stop screw. The barrel was sliding out of the carb. Which also made the low end richer. :rolleyes: These thins rattle stuff loose just like my full scale one. :D

I'll give here another try this week and see how it goes.

After close inspection of the carb. I found a loose barrel stop screw. The barrel was sliding out of the carb. Which also made the low end richer. :rolleyes: These thins rattle stuff loose just like my full scale one. :D
I'll give here another try this week and see how it goes.
dont feel too bad man , mine wouldnt even go but about 20 foot off a good launch today and ended up eating the flex shaft..lol. i run .130 in mine what do you ues , i am thinking i might run a .150 cable in it..? i cant wait to run agian..later

terry

Back