.12 rigger engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

What engines are you guys putting in your .12 riggers? Are you going to the .15's or .17's? How about the pull start motors? Boy wouldn't that be convienient if they run just as well.

What is the timing difference between car and boat engines?

What do you guys reccomend? I'm building a FF.12 too!

There has got to be some people running some of these other car engines as well.

At least I would think so.

Does anyone know if the thread size on the .15 engines is common?

If you want to run the boat in organized compitition, you must use a 12. If it's just for fun, run anything you want.

I hear Nova is the fastest but which one?

Don ;)

anybody tried the sirio outlaw? a hundred bucks less than the novarossi and it isn't constrained by the ROAR limits.... B)

what pipes are yall using?

anybody tried the sirio outlaw? a hundred bucks less than the novarossi and it isn't constrained by the ROAR limits.... B)

what pipes are yall using?

Right now I have a Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi and 2 Fantoms, a rear and side exhaust. I called Gary Preusse today and I might have another engine in tomorrows mail but I don't know what at the moment until he calls me back tonight. Gary himself has a new one being modded by Rod Geraghty but he hasn't told me what it is yet. I have an idea but nothing for sure. He may not be happy about Glenn Quarles taking his record away! :) I do know that it does have a K&B carb adapted to it.

As far as timing goes, the engines could probably use some more advanced timing and some better exhaust numbers to better match the boat engines but right now we are pretty much equal with what is currently available.

Joe, I'm using the Mac pipes right now, I ordered another one yesterday and may get 1 more soon depending on what I keep in my stable. The "Outlaw" pipes could be worth a look at.

Right now I have a Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi and 2 Fantoms, a rear and side exhaust. I called Gary Preusse today and I might have another engine in tomorrows mail but I don't know what at the moment until he calls me back tonight. Gary himself has a new one being modded by Rod Geraghty but he hasn't told me what it is yet. I have an idea but nothing for sure. He may not be happy about Glenn Quarles taking his record away! :) I do know that it does have a K&B carb adapted to it.

As far as timing goes, the engines could probably use some more advanced timing and some better exhaust numbers to better match the boat engines but right now we are pretty much equal with what is currently available.

Joe, I'm using the Mac pipes right now, I ordered another one yesterday and may get 1 more soon depending on what I keep in my stable. The "Outlaw" pipes could be worth a look at.

Sorry about the multiple postings, either my computer or the site had a glitch when I was posting this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a megatech m16, I'ts only 1hp or maybe just a hair more but it only costs $100. It dosen't meet roar specs for displacement but I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into my first scratchbuilt rigger. The mounting holes and exhaust are the same for most of the .12 to .18 engines so if the boat works I can drop in a more powerfull engine.

The novas are quick and they have great hp. There are some Nove based car motors that really move like the Mugen MT12. I am pretty sure they are Nova and not Rossi but I could be wrong. Either way they humm. OS makes a turbo "outlaw" version of their .12 TR named the TR-P and I think that most would agree when I say that OS is one of the most dependable mills out there. Not necessarly the biggest power house but good on fuel and easy to tune. I think that I have seen a FF.12 with it too.

Ron Olson said:
Right now I have a Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi and 2 Fantoms, a rear and side exhaust. I called Gary Preusse today and I might have another engine in tomorrows mail but I don't know what at the moment until he calls me back tonight. Gary himself has a new one being modded by Rod Geraghty but he hasn't told me what it is yet. I have an idea but nothing for sure. He may not be happy about Glenn Quarles taking his record away!  :)   I do know that it does have a K&B carb adapted to it.As far as timing goes, the engines could probably use some more advanced timing and some better exhaust numbers to better match the boat engines but right now we are pretty much equal with what is currently available.

Sorry about the multiple postings, either my computer or the site had a glitch when I was posting this.
RON FYI....Preston Hall holds the IMPBA A hydro SAW, 1/3 mile oval and the 1/4 mile oval. A trifecta :p

dunno what freddy's smokin.... :rolleyes:

Ron,

do you know what exactly it is that is "outlawed" that the outlaw engines have? or what it is that the pipes have?

Joe

Most of the "traditional" small block engines .10 all the way to .18 use a 5mm threaded std-length crank.

Some of the new "outlaw" engines have these SPECS:

Exhaust port is taller, more than a (total) of 4 ports in the sleeve. Turbo plug heads (Conical glow-plugs). Larger Crank inner diameter and larger carbureator bores.

The only thing that will keep you from running any "outlaw" engine in A Hydro is that the displacement cannot be more than .129. All other MODS typically associated with outlaw engines are allowed. You can even run a .21 case -just as long as the displacement is less than .129 then you are clear.

I will make another post with the "old" ROAR .12 Engine SPECS: These just changed just a few months ago... Again!

I mounted a OS .12 TR engine in my rigger.

I love the TR :wub: , it is cheap (about half the price of Nova Rossi :p ), reliable and of course it screams like there is no tomorrow B)

Regards

Robert

Saugling said:
I mounted a OS .12 TR engine in my rigger.I love the TR :wub: , it is cheap (about half the price of Nova Rossi :p ), reliable and of course it screams like there is no tomorrow B)

Regards

Robert
i agree on the ostr for an awesome budget engine

Nova rossi is the only way to go for top performance

I sent an e-mail last night to Jeff and Troy at Fantom last night to try to get their timing numbers and will post them if and when they reply.

Back