.12 hydro turn fin boom?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM MOORE

Guy,

Ive ordered the .12 cheezy firefighter plans, and the turnfin boom calls for 1/8th lite ply to bolt your turn fin to. That will never work. it will bent and or break, in the turns, im looking for some kind of composite, or carbonfibre material to make the boom, anybody have an idea where the material can be purchased? Im looking for 1/8th flat stock.

Thanks Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an insult to the designer to me.......
This was not meant to be an insult of anykind. Ive built 2 of Toms boats, the original .12 hydro, and the .21 boat Both had composite turn fin mounts. Just because i make a change to a boat from a set of plans that i purchased is my choice. I did not start this post to get anybody stirred up, I just want to know where i can buy the composite material? Theres always somebody like you trying to get something started.

Hi Tom,

I got 1/16" G10 from McMaster Carr. I used 1/16" G10 x 1/8" ply x 1/16" G10 I sandwiched them together to make a spar.

Paul

I think the piece of G10 12"x12"x1/16" was about $10

Hi Tom,
I got 1/16" G10 from McMaster Carr. I used 1/16" G10 x 1/8" ply x 1/16" G10 I sandwiched them together to make a spar.

Paul

Paul... Would you do me a favour and post the item number of this material??? I've been looking to order some G10, but I don't know which of all the varieties listed there to get... Not sure what the differences are...

Thanks,

tom, would a strut/rod from the fin to the tub be workable? could use 1 of the turn fin mount holes for it to go through, & nuts on both sides. also could use the threads to adj. the fin for tracking. seems that would eliminate any flex, regardless of the boom material. just a thought, i'm a tunnel guy, don't really know squat about riggers :huh: ....................

Hi Tom,

Paul

I think the piece of G10 12"x12"x1/16" was about $10
Thanks Paul for your reply, If you could post a link to that material i really would appreciate it.

Thanks Tom

Hi Darin,

The G10 I used is Part # 85345K611 . I also use this on my .21 rigger, except I use 3 pieces 1/16" G10 and 2 pieces 1/16" ply (G10/ply/G10/ply/G10). My spars still as good as new and I have run these boats all season.

Paul

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Type in the part # in the search bar.

ohhhh yeah cost was $8.15 , I dont pay shipping but with tax was $8.72 ( I goto will call and pick up what I order)

Guy,
Ive ordered the .12 cheezy firefighter plans, and the turnfin boom calls for 1/8th lite ply to bolt your turn fin to. That will never work. it will bent and or break, in the turns, im looking for some kind of composite, or carbonfibre material to make the boom, anybody have an idea where the material can be purchased? Im looking for 1/8th flat stock.

Thanks Tom
When you glue the G -10 to the plywood,make sure you scuff the plywood/G-10 and I always drill small ,SHALLOW dimples on the gluing side of the g-10. It just makes the glue bite better.

Ron Jr

I don't want to stirr anything or start a rage or battle, but you can also phrase your question differently Tom . As I highly regard Tom Moorehouse you could also ask in a neutral way "How can I reinforce a wooden turnfinspar".

When you use words as Cheezy, will never work, will bent or break I only write what I think when reading.

But to be constructive: use more layers of thinner ply and laminate carbon fiber cloth between them & at the outsides, or make the turnfinspar out of T7076 Alu or out of a plate of carbon.

Guy,

Thanks Tom
Psst.... the plans call for 1/8" G-10

Thank You Tom W I was talking about the Gooycheeze .12 rigger thats where the cheezy came in, And Tom Moorehouse I stand corrected I did miss the spar as it does call for 1/8th G-10.

Tom M

Back